Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: rbr750 firmware update error

jnewbi
Aspirant

rbr750 firmware update error

not a wifi expert.  need help.  

RBR750 FW version 3.2.16.22, i know and i don't understand why it is so old, fails update.  RBS both offline, totally.  

manual update RBR failed.  after reading, tried off/on restart router/sat nothing.  more reading tried manual upload FW on RBR and failed to load.

connected RBS direct with Ethernet cbl found FW version of 4.6 something.  

read more tried factory reset RBR, same FW loaded as listed above, same prob. with SATelliteson current fw version.  tried few other FW update techniques  with failure. 

then fact reset rbs, reversed fw on satellites to 3.216.22. and it worked, connected to RBR and all was good. auto fw update on RBS knocked me back to start.  Ive done all the power things of turning off/on off/on, move closer to router, unplug, plug with no success.

Of course, I am out of warranty, paid way to $$$ to be spending this much time on a mesh system with basic setup out of box.  not doing fancy stuff here just want it to work.  not sure what else to put.  comcast ISP provider, bought ccast modem with right speed etc. rbs' are within rec distance

please help,  thanks

Message 1 of 14
CrimpOn
Guru

Is there a specific reason to update the firmware?  (something is not working?)

Generally, it is easier to manually update firmware using a computer connected with Ethernet to the router.

My practice when updating satellites is to connect to the satellite web interface using the IP address of the satellite.

Message 2 of 14
jnewbi
Aspirant

my apolgies, the Satellites were offline and i was attempting to remedy this.  I found  the fw was current on rbs only after ethernet connect and the RBR was old.  guess i should have started with the problem.   

Message 3 of 14
CrimpOn
Guru

You are correct that the general recommendation on the forum when the Orbi web browser management Firmware Update page fails is to attempt a Manual Update (rather than relying on the Firmware Update mechanism to work). This involves downloading the desired firmware from the Netgear support site.  Unpacking the zip file to extract the firmware image (different for router and satellite).  Then selecting the Manual Update tab, browsing to find the correct image and uploading it.

It would help to know where in the process it appears to fail.

I found (accidentally) that the satellites also have a web management interface by opening a web browser to http://<IP address of satellite>.  The bottom menu item is Update Firmware.  (of course, if the satellites are not connecting to the network, this is sort of a "Catch 22").

Message 4 of 14
Phyber
Luminary

I have the RBR750 (RBS753) system that i just updated to 4.6.11.1. Auto updates have never really worked for me so I always manually update. Update the satellites first, and then the router. If you have multiple satellites, then you need to update each one individually. The updating is not a clean process which is the one thing I don't like about the Netgear Mesh system. I've found that after the update you may have to log out of the Admin page and then log back in to check that the devices actually updated.

Message 5 of 14
jnewbi
Aspirant

thanks for looking at post CrimpOn  

the auto update on the admin page starts download, then advised download failed. I attempted uploading previous FW, then one version newer FW update and same, firmware upgrade failed.  I tried tftp update and was unable to update as well.  I did all these steps per recommendations and after factory reset.  I ensured I was updating with correct RBR vx RBS files as well.  

Currently, the router works under the old firmware but no satellites. When the satellites go offline it will show an IP address of 255.255.255.255.  not sure if that means anything.  

Message 6 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you ethernet connect the RBS to the back of the RBR and see if they connect then? 

If the you, update the RBS First using the RBS web page and send the FW with a wired PC and web browser accessing the RBS web page on each RBS. 
Once the FW is updated on the RBS, update the RBR using same process on the RBRs web page. 

https://kb.netgear.com/31573/How-do-I-manually-upgrade-firmware-on-my-Orbi-router-using-orbilogin-co...
https://kb.netgear.com/000037217/How-do-I-check-and-manually-upgrade-the-firmware-on-my-Orbi-satelli...

Message 7 of 14
tucsontico
Virtuoso

How are you manually updating the firmware? Via the web-based GUI or the phone app? Only use the web-based GUI and one of the following web browsers: Chrome, Firefox or Internet Explorer. Connecting via ethernet to the sat is the best/safest way to do an update. Always update the RBSs first!

Once the sats are showing the latest firmware, turn them off and update your RBR to the same firmware version. There are separate firmware update files for the RBR and RBS. BE CERTAIN YOU ARE INSTALLING THE CORRECT FILES INTO THE RBR AND RBSs. After the RBR is showing the correct firmware version (matches the RBS version.) restart the RBS one at at time. Allow each sat (if you have more than one) to stabilize for a few minutes before turning on the next sat. Good Luck!

Message 8 of 14
jnewbi
Aspirant

yes, I can connect RBS by ethernet, update or reverse them. When I did this, they auto updated FW overnight and were offline the next morning.  Pretty sure I tried updating the RBR but I will try again and report back.  Sorry I cannot be more sure, tried so many things

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE RECOMMENDATION!!!

Message 9 of 14
jnewbi
Aspirant

Again, not real tech here.  I don't believe I have used a Web based GUI to update.  Only through the router address, then tftp through the command prompt.  Do you have a recommendation for one?  I have tried with the phone app but failed all the time.  

I will carefully follow your recommendation and let ya know.  THanks again.  

Message 10 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

YOu can use the RBS web page to update FW on the RBS. It's recommended to use this method with a PC and web browser. 

YOu can have the PC connected to the RBR when you do this or directly connected to the back of the RBS if it's synced. Just look for the IP address the RBS gets from the RBR on the RBRs web page under connected devices. Input this IP address in to the web browser. Log in is the same as the RBRs log in when you see this. 

Message 11 of 14
tucsontico
Virtuoso

OK. Sounds like you've gotten into a loop with the RBSs auto updating after you downgraded the firmware. I highly recommend updating to the most current firmware (Ver 4.6.11.1). This version will allow you to turn off the auto update feature. Here's a link to the firmware download page:

https://kb.netgear.com/000065215/RBR750-RBS750-Firmware-Version-4-6-11-1

As mentioned before, update the RBSs via ethernet first, then turn them off. Update the RBR next via an ethernet cable and using orbilogin.com (This will take you to the web GUI for your Orbi RBR.). Good Luck!

Message 12 of 14
jnewbi
Aspirant

Thank you for the recommendations (everyone). 

I am still unable to update FW on RBR, it must be a MELON.

I have tried this method (update via PC/RBS) and was able to update the FW on the RBS.  I still cannot update the FW on the RBR.  

I have now backhauled my RBS to the RBR, downgraded them to the FW version on the RBR. Everything works!!!!! YEah.  

With this FW version on the RBR there is no option to stop auto updates.  BOOOOO

I am not tech enough to stop the auto updates but still researching.  

anyway, so disappointed with NG.  THis will be the last system I will ever own given the FW issues I have read. 

IF anyone has advice to walk a novice through steps of preventing auto updates via the router, I would be very appreciative.   

THanks all and Merry Christmas.  

Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements