Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

rbr850/rbs850 won't release device, duplicate device

Jroach
Luminary

rbr850/rbs850 won't release device, duplicate device

I have a few sonos speakers.  The sonsos ONE will disconnects and won't reconnect.  Sonos support points to Orbi/network as the problem.

In my "Attached Devices" using the browser page, I see (2) Sonos One speakers with the same IP and different mac addresses.  On the Sonos app (IOS) there are (2) as well, one attached to the satellite, the other to the router.

I disconnected and left the speaker unplugged, booted the router, unplugged/plugged in the satellite and I'm still seeing the sonos One in both the browser and app even though its unplugged.  I left it over night, unplugged the satellite, rebooted the router, plugged the satellite back in and the One is still there after being unplugged overnight.  

Using the app I put the device on "pause" but it doesn't let me delete.

How do I get rid of the phantom device?

Is the sonos app somehow keeping the address reserved?  

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: rbr850/rbs850 won't release device, duplicate device

Try setting up a IP address reservation for each device. 

https://kb.netgear.com/25722/How-do-I-reserve-an-IP-address-on-my-NETGEAR-router

I would power OFF one of the devices. Go in and set the reservation. Apply the change and have the RBR set it. Then turn OFF the 1st devices then turn ON the 2nd devices and do same thing again for 2nd device. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Try setting up a IP address reservation for each device. 

https://kb.netgear.com/25722/How-do-I-reserve-an-IP-address-on-my-NETGEAR-router

I would power OFF one of the devices. Go in and set the reservation. Apply the change and have the RBR set it. Then turn OFF the 1st devices then turn ON the 2nd devices and do same thing again for 2nd device. 

Message 2 of 10
bullm00n
Luminary

Sonos can get "moody", I have found.  For a time, I had all mine on reserved IPs, but haven't done it with my latest 960/850 flip-flop saga.  I don't think it is necessary but can help with network management if you have a lot of devices connected.  If you are on a PC, check out a free app called "Advanced IP Scanner" - super handy for sorting out what is going on with connected devices over and above what Orbi or Sonos tells you.

What I have found I have had to do in the past with Sonos is that when it gets wonky, I power down all the Sonos devices for a few minutes while rebooting the network.  After the network is back up and no Sonos, then one by one, bring all the Sonos devices back up.  This doesn't happen often, but it does happen.  Other symptoms are: Sonos device doesn't show up in App, but a network scan shows it online.  Sonos device shows up in app but cannot be controlled.  Sonos devices randomly show up or disappear from the app.

Good luck.

Message 3 of 10
Jroach
Luminary

Done.

I'll report back.

Message 4 of 10
Jroach
Luminary

@bullm00n I have had the same experience as well.  It's rough when you are having people over and your tending to your speakers:)

Also doesn't make it an easier when Orbi reports the wrong devices...one day its a camera then its the washer.  Per @furrye38 I've assigned more devices to the address reservations in groups so I can easily see if something has been mislabeled.

Message 5 of 10
bullm00n
Luminary

@Jroach wrote:

@bullm00n I have had the same experience as well.  It's rough when you are having people over and your tending to your speakers:)

Also doesn't make it an easier when Orbi reports the wrong devices...one day its a camera then its the washer.  Per @furrye38 I've assigned more devices to the address reservations in groups so I can easily see if something has been mislabeled.

Check out "Advanced IP Scanner".  It's much better at showing what devices are on the network than Orbi. Its free and invaluable.

Message 6 of 10
Jroach
Luminary

Thanks, good advice.  I use LanScan (mac product) but I suspect it does a similar thing.  I forgot I had it until I got knee deep into resolving Orbi's "Attached Device" mislabeling.  

Message 7 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

@Jroach wrote:

I have a few Sonos speakers.  The Sonos ONE will disconnects and won't reconnect.

In my "Attached Devices" using the browser page, I see (2) Sonos One speakers with the same IP and different mac addresses.  On the Sonos app (IOS) there are (2) as well, one attached to the satellite, the other to the router.

I believe every Sonos speaker has the Ethernet MAC address printed on the case.  Does one MAC address match the case of the Sonos One and the other match the MAC address of one of the other Sonos speakers?

Are any of the Sonos speakers connected to the system with a cable (Ethernet)?

Message 8 of 10
Jroach
Luminary

They are all wireless.  

Message 9 of 10
Jroach
Luminary

it did but I'm not certain where the other address is coming from.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7