Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: using 2 Orbi RBR850

UrbanL
Guide

using 2 Orbi RBR850

Hello - I have a relatively large house >280 square meters. From the room coverage it would be very helpful to connect two "routers" via LAN cable and then cover the area with one satellite each. I bought two RBR850 and two RBS853. Is this possible? See picture.

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

No, you'll still have MESH and a signle SSID name if you connect the RBS to the RBR. The only thing that changes is the backhaul method, goes from wireless to wired is all. 

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 9

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

You would have two separate wifi SSID networks. It would work if you kept wifi channels far apart from each other. 

Would these be configured for AP mode with main host router upstream from the NR1 switch? 

Message 2 of 9
Bandito
Luminary

You can do what you are proposing, but why?  You lose the benefit of having a mesh system that covers your entire home seamlessly.  With your proposed setup, you'll likely have to change networks manually on your devices if you move from one part of the house to the other.

I would highly recommend one router using the wireless backhaul and as many satellites as you may need.  That way you'll have a unified system rather than two separate networks with the potential to interfere with one another.

Message 3 of 9
UrbanL
Guide

Okay - maybe I didn't make myself clear. Of course I only want to have one network, but from the room situation there is no good WLAN transmission possible between the two routers. Would it be possible to connect a satellite to the router via a LAN cable? I would have a router (with one satellite over WLAN) and then a satellite (with another satellite over WLAN). With this I would probably cover the building perfectly.
Message 4 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes you can connect RBS to RBRs via ethernet:

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

The two systems would not be connected wirelessly as a mesh system. You would have two separate wifi SSIDs. RBRs can not be used like RBSs as well. 

Message 5 of 9
UrbanL
Guide

thank you very much for the quick response. Just so I understand correctly. I can attach a satellite to an Orbi Router RBR850 via LAN cable but then mesh would no longer work and I would have two SSIDs again, which means two different networks. This is of course not what I want. I want to connect a mesh network to a router and depending on the satellite either via WLAN or LAN cable. If I've got this right, I can't do that with Orbi. Is that right?

Message 6 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

No, you'll still have MESH and a signle SSID name if you connect the RBS to the RBR. The only thing that changes is the backhaul method, goes from wireless to wired is all. 

Message 7 of 9
UrbanL
Guide

Ok - thanks - I will try this when I get the next RBS. 

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck. 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements