Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 1 device cannot connect to new network

Anonom
Guide

1 device cannot connect to new network

I installed a new mesh router yesterday (Netgear Orbi AC1200/RBR10 ) using the same SSID and password my previous router had. All my devices (around 10 of them) all work fine whether wired or wireless. My Chromebook connects but has no internet access or access to anything local (like the router). It has 5 bars for the signal. The Chromebook can connect to other wifi networks and works fine.  When I connect to the guest network the Chromebook works fine. 

I tried:
Resetting the router and satellite
Powerwashing (factory resetting) the Chromebook
Giving the Chromebook a reserved IP from the router (Chromebook did get the designated ip)
Forgetting the network and re-adding it on the Chromebook
Verified that the "access control" was not blocking this device

Changing the DNS server on the Chromebook and router

Checking the log. I don't see anything odd. 

Turning off the Netgear Armor

In Chrome when I try to go to a site it says no internet and lists error DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NO_INTERNET.

Message 1 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you manually enter in DNS addresses into the Chrome books networking settings to see if this helps any? Enterin ISP DNS or 8.8.8.8

Message 2 of 18
Anonom
Guide

I had previosuly tried the "Google servers" setting for DNS server on the Chromebook.  I manually put in 8.8.8.8 but get the same error.  

Message 3 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What are the security mode settings you are currently using on the RBR? WPA2 and AES only or a mixed mode? 

Message 4 of 18
Anonom
Guide

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What are the security mode settings you are currently using on the RBR? WPA2 and AES only or a mixed mode? 

The modem is a Surfboard SBG6580.  I just reset it which I should have tried before but since everything is working with internet I downplayed that end of it.

I am using just WPA2/AES. 

Message 5 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Your ISP Modem already has a built in router. Try one of the following:

Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

The modem supports bridge mode so I would give this a try first. IF you don't know if you can get into bridge mode, please contact your ISP and they can help you with this. 

This maybe the cause of the Chromebook not getting thru to the internet:

This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended.

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT

@Anonom wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

The modem is a Surfboard SBG6580.  I just reset it which I should have tried before but since everything is working with internet I downplayed that end of it.

I am using just WPA2/AES. 

Message 6 of 18
Anonom
Guide

I turned off the wifi radios on the gateway. I was sure I had them off before, but Comcast sometimes pushes an update and I lose settings. 

I tried putting the gateway in bridge mode.  The Chromebook still does not have internet access on the main network but does on the guest.  When I put the gateway in bridge mode, I am unable to connect to it either via wifi or ethernet cable. I've had to factory reset it several times to be able to connect again.  

Basically, the changes I've made to the gateway are DHCP server off, Wifi off, gateway=bridged.  

Message 7 of 18
Anonom
Guide

OKay- I figured out that the gateway IP changed from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.100.1 after putting it in bridge mode.  So I do have access to it again.  

Model: A6210|AC1200 High Gain WiFi USB Adapter
Message 8 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

And the Chrome book does not connect at all thru the Orbi to the internet? 

Message 9 of 18
Anonom
Guide

@FURRYe38 wrote:

And the Chrome book does not connect at all thru the Orbi to the internet? 

It doesn't have internet on the primary network.  It does have internet on the guest network. 

I tried an old Chromebook and it is able to get internet on both networks. 

Message 10 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds like something is wrong with this book if others are working and other devices can connect to the main network....

Message 11 of 18
Anonom
Guide

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Sounds like something is wrong with this book if others are working and other devices can connect to the main network....

That's what is baffling.  It worked on my old network days ago.  It works on the guest network and other networks I tried so there is nothing wrong with the wifi chip.  I compared the settings to the other Chromebook and don't see anything different.  

Message 12 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya, I know. Just points to this device though if others are working.

Try this, disable or set the security mode to disabled on the RBR temporarily. Save and apply. Then try to connect this book to the SSID with no security mode set. Does it connect or not? 

Try WPA and TPIK setting and see. Re-enable WPA2 and AES after your done. 

Message 13 of 18
Anonom
Guide

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Ya, I know. Just points to this device though if others are working.

Try this, disable or set the security mode to disabled on the RBR temporarily. Save and apply. Then try to connect this book to the SSID with no security mode set. Does it connect or not? 

Try WPA and TPIK setting and see. Re-enable WPA2 and AES after your done. 

I tried TPIK and no difference.  

I am not sure if you meant wireless security or general.  I tried making it an open network (no security/password) and that made no difference. I also previously had tried to turn off the general security (I think it is called Netgear Armor). 

BTW, thanks for all the help.  

I guess if I don't figure this out, at least I can still use the Chromebook on the guest network. I wasn't planning on enabling the guest network, but I guess it isn't the end of the world. 

Message 14 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Security for the WiFi, is TPIK or AES. The mode is WPA or WPA2 or Disabled. If you can disable the WPA modems and yes, have the OPEN network temporarily to see if it connects. Re-enabled WPA after checking. 

Sounds like this device is faulty though. I had a similar problem with a Samsung S7j phone this year. Phone would not connect to any SSID, security or not. Had to send the phone it and got it fixed. Turned out the wifi radio module was bad. Something you might look into with Google to see if the book can be fixed. 

Message 15 of 18
Anonom
Guide

I'm probably going to just live with it.  I am not sure a warranty claim (if it is even still under warranty) of 100 networks work okay but this one doesn't is going to go over well. 

Unfortunately I was unable to try a USB wifi adapter due to they way Chromebooks work. 

Message 16 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, Good Luck. 

Message 17 of 18
Anonom
Guide

I have an update.  After never solving this problem and a few other issues I upgraded to a different mesh router.  My Chromebook connects to the main network without issue.  I have also taken it on 3 trips and been able to connect to other networks without issue.  The Netgear is the problem.  

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7