Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 2.3.0.32 Update - Orbi Satellite Password Not Working

DB-Cooper
Guide

2.3.0.32 Update - Orbi Satellite Password Not Working

I updated my Orbi RB50K to 2.3.0.23, hitting the stop gap at 212. All was well, I was able to update and login to my RBS to get to .212. After upgrading my RBR to 2.3.0.32, I was forced to change the password. I was already using a secure password so I just reused it. All was well, but now I can't update the RBS firmware because it won't accept any password. I rebooted the RBS and also tried admin/password.

Something got broken after the RBR was updated. I really don't want to reset my RBS and repair it. Clearly something got messed up, what other password could it be? I've only used ONE password forever on these things.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 18
plemans
Guru

I take it you're trying to do the manual update if its asking for a password? 

Does it work for the automated firmware upgrade? 

Are you using a saved password manager to fill in the name and password? I've had automated ones fill in incorrectly. 

It really doesn't take long to reset and reconfigure the RBS50. I know you don't want to do it but its probably the fastest way versus trying to guess/figure out the password issue. 

Message 2 of 18
DB-Cooper
Guide

Yes, trying to manually update and or access the IP directly. The password worked before the RBR update, now it simply doesn't. I do use PW Managers but I'm manually typing it as well, so it's not that.

Auto firmware doesn't show any new version so I can only do manual. I'm hoping this update fixes my Volvo XC90's Wi-Fi which won't connect to Orbi despite working with my previous Linksys unit using same SSID/WPA2 key.

I'll probably just reset and resync, annoying but fortunately there's no real config on it.

Message 3 of 18
CrimpOn
Guru

For future reference, I believe the correct practice is to update the satellites first and the router last.  I also seem to remember there was a way to skip the password change, although Netgear certainly made it not obvious. 

Message 4 of 18
DB-Cooper
Guide

Thanks, will do that from now on.

Unfortunately, I've spent 15 minutes trying to reset this bloody Satellite. I do the organge light thing, and then it somewhat auto resyncs, password still isn't working. I wish I could force remove this thing. So annoying.

Message 5 of 18
CrimpOn
Guru

I realized after a very frustrating hour of going up and down stairs that I had not held the paperclip in the tiny hole long enough.  The LED turns orange and then (after what seems like a long time) begins to blink.  Orange is "reset" and blink is "reset to factory".  At that point, it no longert synced to the router, so "password" ought to work.

Message 6 of 18
DB-Cooper
Guide

I did it 30 seconds, got the blinking. This is so frustrating. I went to the Orbi main screen and even "Removed" the disconnected device as it was restarting. It still added itself back, I even say "Config Sync", but still can't get in. admin/password nor the RBR password is working. What a total clusterf*ck. I'm really pissed that this thing won't reset, that's a security risk. If I ever removed this thing from my environment, someone could park outside and it'd auto-join again. I even "REMOVED" the darn thing entirely from the RBR. Netgear, you've really gotta smooth this out.

Message 7 of 18
DB-Cooper
Guide

Stiill fighting it. I did another reset, then rebooted my RBR while resetting, that seemed to at least prevent the Satellite from joining. I then reset the satellite again. Then I resynced, and still no password sync'd. I went ahead and changed the RBR password again hoping it'll trigger something, still no luck. I'm not under the belief this new firmware just has a bug in it, at least if you update your RBR first. It's not surprising since this is the firmware that forces stronger passwords so clearly they were in there monkeying around. I had no problem with the intermediate update nor any problem in the past. They should update the release notes to ensure people are updating the satellite first if that's truly required.

As it stands now, I can't get this working. Fortunately the core Orbi functionality in terms of Wi-Fi works, but I have zero management capability of this Satellite. Really disappointing user experience and solid waste of 2 hours.

Message 8 of 18
CrimpOn
Guru

Probably should have asked earlier:  Are you doing this from a web browser or the Orbi smartphone app?

As far as I know, the satellite has the same password as the router.  There is no place on the satellite web interface to change the password.

Message 9 of 18
ekhalil
Master

@DB-Cooper wrote:

.........but now I can't update the RBS firmware because it won't accept any password......

I don't get it, why do you need a password to update the Satellite?

I update my Satellite from the web GUI, through the Router as follows:

Namnlöst.png

Have you tried that?

Message 10 of 18
DB-Cooper
Guide

When you click on that it prompts for password. This is if you do manual update.

I am using the web as well.
Message 11 of 18
plemans
Guru

Next step would be to factory reset the rbr50 and resync during setup as the satellite should be syncing from the main unit.
Message 12 of 18
ekhalil
Master

@DB-Cooper wrote:
When you click on that it prompts for password. This is if you do manual update.

I am using the web as well.

Are you able to login to the Satellite when you use a browser to go to http://192.168.1.2 (the Satellite IP address)? Try the default password if the Router's password does not work.

Message 13 of 18
DB-Cooper
Guide

Yes, when I go to the Satellite's IP, it asks for password, I've tried admin/router_password and admin/password. Nothing works.

Message 14 of 18
DB-Cooper
Guide

Wow, I got it working. I changed the password from a very complex one with many non-alpha characters to a simple one, like "Password1", and it worked. So now I wonder if there is some limitation on characters that caused the Satellite to not work. Although my original password was 12 characters and had a $ in it, so who knows.

I also disabled the password recovery function, perhaps that did it.

I'll update and put the old password back and see what happens.

Message 15 of 18
plemans
Guru

I know older version of the firmware had issues with the $ character. I thought it had been fixed but maybe its been reintroduced. good job persevering at fixing it though!

Message 16 of 18
DB-Cooper
Guide

After updating, I set the old password and now it works on both the Satellite and Router.

I'm not convinced that was the issue, I think it may have also been that I used the new password recovery thing and then disabled it. I happened to do that at the same time as changing the password. Given the password never changed, was working and it was broken, that is one variable that could've caused it, enabling that new PW recovery on the new firmware.

I can't really prove that now, but if someone else reads this and has the same issue, try disabling the new PW recovery option on the router and then try. If that doesn't work, one more password set should probagate and let you know.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Message 17 of 18
ekhalil
Master

@DB-Cooper wrote:

After updating, I set the old password and now it works on both the Satellite and Router.

Well done!

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7