× Our systems will undergo a planned maintenance on Sunday, May 19, 2024, between 12:00 AM and 02:00 AM Pacific Time. During the maintenance window, you will not be able to log in to your MyNETGEAR account (including apps), renew a subscription, or register a product. However, you will still be able to use guest checkout to purchase a new product or subscription service. Updates will be posted to Status.NETGEAR.com. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 2 Orbi Routers in 2 Buildings on 1 ATT Fibre is this possible?

Ciocco
Aspirant

2 Orbi Routers in 2 Buildings on 1 ATT Fibre is this possible?

I have 2 buildings on my property and have a cat6 cable ran between them. On my ATT Fibre Router one port is going to my Orbi OBR50R router that provides a mesh system for my house. I want to use the cat6 cable running to my 2nd building to create another mesh system.  Can this be done?

Message 1 of 8

@Ciocco wrote:

I have 2 buildings on my property and have a cat6 cable ran between them. On my ATT Fibre Router one port is going to my Orbi OBR50R router that provides a mesh system for my house. I want to use the cat6 cable running to my 2nd building to create another mesh system.  Can this be done?

Do you want the 2nd building to feed off the same Internet connection?

Is the RBR50R (I assume) working as a router with the ATT Fibre Router in bridge (modem only) mode?

Do you want completely separate wifi networks?

Message 2 of 8
plemans
Guru

Can you? Sure!

How far apart are they?

Reason I ask is you have a couple options. 

1. Have the att device just as a gateway. Connect the orbi to it and then the 2nd building to the orbi. You can just use satellites in the 2nd building if that's how you do it. 

2. Have the ATT act as the router (disable its wifi). connect the orbi to it with the orbi in access point mode. The 2nd building you could either wire directly to the ATT device and run another whole set of orbi's in access point mode or you could run satellites. If you run satellites through, the 2nd building should be wired into the orbi and not through the att gateway. 

Message 3 of 8
Ciocco
Aspirant

I don't mind 2 networks if that is what it takes. I just need to span 150 ft to my other building that has a cat 6 running from my ATT Fibrer router. One Cat 6 rund to my orbi and the other to me remote building.  I do own 2 systems so trying to make the most of them.

Message 4 of 8
Ciocco
Aspirant

The 2 buildings are 150 Ft and I own 2 systems.  The Wifi just barley reaches the 2nd building at about 10-20mbps. My my cat6 at the other building is getting 800-900 so just thinking in my head why could I not use the 2nd cat6 to either expand what I have with more satellites or new system. My ATT Fibre Router has the wifi disabled and just pushes the internet through to the Orbi and the cat to to my remote building. 

Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

It should work fine either way. 

What orbi system is it? 

Some of the older AC systems can be picked up quite cheap on renewed/refurbed. MIght be worth checking that

Here's the orbi compatibility chart.
https://kb.netgear.com/000065169/Which-Orbi-routers-and-satellites-are-compatible

Message 6 of 8
Ciocco
Aspirant

I have 2 RBR50 systems, 2 extra RBS20 satellites, and 1 RBR50Y Outdoor satellite 

Message 7 of 8
plemans
Guru

Should work. With that many, you could set it up either way with separate systems using both RBR's or as a single system leaving out the 2nd RBR and holding it as backup

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7