Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 2nd gen Eero announced.

Okay, but it's stored in their cloud, right ? If someone hacks them they could release all surfing history with IP, etc. correct ? Loads of personal identifiers ?
Message 76 of 88

I made the move to Eero.  I was one of the people having issues with drops, and I also grew tired of waiting for a better mobile interface.  I'm able to get throughput on-par with my Orbi (on only a 200M/sec connection, so YMMV).

I just want to note that if I wasn't having the issues I had with Orbi, I wouldn't have switched - If your Orbi is working fine (i.e. most Orbi users) and you don't want / care about a mobile interface, I personally wouldn't take the plunge given the costs involved.  However, if you are having issues its something worth investigating as a possible solution.

Message 77 of 88
dmakogon
Guide

@ConstantineP wrote:
Okay, but it's stored in their cloud, right ? If someone hacks them they could release all surfing history with IP, etc. correct ? Loads of personal identifiers ?

Eero stores device telemetry: MAC/IP address, attached devices, settings, signal strength, crash data, etc. They do not store any history of your internet activity.

This is all spelled out in their post here, including this tidbit:

we don't ever track the websites you visit or collect the content of your network traffic. We don’t sell our customer data, and we don’t sell ads based on this data.

Also, there is no Eero cloud. They utilize AWS as their cloud provider. They mention secure storage, so (while I can't confirm), they're likely using encrypted-at-rest storage. Details are here.

Message 78 of 88
Doug-48051
Luminary

All products have issues... things that need adjustment. But at their core.... they should be able to fit their main function.  Please dont make the customer feel bad for being disappointed. The customer has lived up to his end with cash, trust of the NetGear brand, and patients.

All anyone is looking for are options, action, and a promise to make it right. All companies deal with issues. The big ones own-up and surpass expections. Customers buy products through out a life-time.  The customer loyality should be more important than any one product or purchase.

Just my two cents.

Message 79 of 88
jleecloak1
Apprentice

Well, I finally gave up on the Orbi I had way too many problems over the weekend. The Orbi seems to randomly slow down the network and its even worse on wifi devices. The good thing is it didn't disconnect in router mode but it would slow down WiFi download/upload speed to a crawl. I tested my Orbi using the Speedtest app around the house. After installing the Orbi my speeds were great at 84Mbsp and 12Mbsp upload but the after a while it just randomly decides to slow to a crawl and when I tested my speed with the app it would say it can't reach the server. Web browsing would be super slow on Wifi devices such as tablets. I don't want to have to reboot my router everytime it slows down the network. My RMA Orbi was working so good for a moment. I wanted to keep it.

I tried using the Orbi in AP mode once I realized the router was slowing my network down and I started experiencing the disconnects in AP mode. That was the last straw for me. I connected my ASUS again and my speeds are back to normal. I have my Orbi listed on eBay today.  I thought about buying the Eero but the parental controls cost $10 extra a month? No deal for me that's a joke. 

Message 80 of 88

@jleecloak1 wrote:

I thought about buying the Eero but the parental controls cost $10 extra a month? No deal for me that's a joke. 

Its optional, you don't need to utilize their service (and it also includes malware protection).

You could mimic what Orbi does using OpenDNS as your DNS service on the Eero - I'm pretty sure that's what Orbi does.

Message 81 of 88
Doug-48051
Luminary

@jleecloak1

Sorry to hear about your experience.  My SAT is a paper weight on my desk waiting for firmware.

What orbi did you have?  on which firmware?  covering how many sq ft were you trying to cover?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 82 of 88
nizmoz
Apprentice

@ConstantineP wrote:

It is stored no where.  They do not keep that information.  

Message 83 of 88
jleecloak1
Apprentice

I want to be able to filter devices instead of the entire network. I tried the open DNS and didn't work well when I tried to use it with Orbi. The ASUS parental controls let's me control content based on device or mac address. 

Message 84 of 88
jleecloak1
Apprentice

Doug, I had beta firmware V1.12.0.12. The connection was stable but the internet bandwidth was not consistent. I can't stand clicking on a link and wait for the page to load like I'm on dial-up.  

I was trying to cover around 2000 square feet with the Orbi. Currently, I am back to using my ASUS AC87U and my AC68U as a repeater. 

I am debating between the Samsung Connect Pro and the new ASUS Lyra. 

Message 85 of 88
Doug-48051
Luminary

@jleecloak1

We must be twins I have same ASUS and 2,000 sq ft.  I hope they dont kill through-put.  Thats the reason I picked over others. 

Message 86 of 88
jleecloak1
Apprentice

@Doug

Are you using your ASUS AC87U? A new firmware update is out for this router. I updated mine the other day.

Message 87 of 88
Doug-48051
Luminary

@jleecloak1

Yes... me too. its not connected at moment, been putting orbi through tests for my college write-up.

Message 88 of 88
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7