Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AC3000 Rbk50 speeds slow

mthunter
Aspirant

AC3000 Rbk50 speeds slow

Wired speeds 1k.

Wireless speeds consistantly low-to-mid 400's.

Rbr50 wired to verizon ont with Cat 6 cable.  Speeds were in consistantly in the 750's-940's until a few weeks ago.  

I've run resets on everything

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

Re: AC3000 Rbk50 speeds slow

there's no way you were hitting 750-940mbps over wireless on that unit. 

Its fronthaul is only 866mbps link connection. And actual throughput is roughly 55-65% of link speed. 

In my experience, the 400mbps is about what you can maximum expect from that unit. 

So I'm not sure what was giving you those speeds or how you were testing. 

Message 2 of 7
mthunter
Aspirant

IMG_3336.png

Message 3 of 7
mthunter
Aspirant

Message 4 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

Could you please humor me with a little more detail.  i.e.

• Speeds on a computer wired to the Orbi router were consistently in the 750-940mb/sec range, but
  • Recently, speeds on that same computer wired to the router are in the 1K/sec range.
  • Speed measured using the Orbi app (wireless) is in the 725-825 range (which as @plemans pointed out, almost at the theoretical maximum of 866 for 802.11ac on this Orbi).

If the computer is wired directly to one of the Orbi ethernet ports (not through a switch), can you report what appears on the

• Orbi web interface (http://orbilogin.net)
  • Advanced Tab
  • In the box Internet Port
  • Click on "Show Statistics" and report what the Orbi shows for the WAN, LAN1, LAN2, LAN3 ports?

Is there a way to independently verify that this computer is capable of high speed ethernet connection (using the same cable).  Such as:

• Connect the computer directly to the fiber ONT?
  • Connect the computer directly to another computer/laptop and use a throughput app such as iPerf3 to measure speed?

Message 5 of 7
plemans
Guru

so you've showed up speeds tested using the netgear app. 

the netgear app tests directly off the router. Its not testing wireless, it doesn't tested your wired speeds to a device, or what your devices actually get.

so details are key. 

1. what firmware is on the router?

2. what gateway is it connected to? 

3. what speeds do you get wired into the router? And what device is it you're testing on?

4. You've put that you get 400mbps over the wireless. thats fantastic for that device. good work. Lets work on your wired speeds. 

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What speeds do you see with your wired and wireless devices using Ooklas Installable speed test app installed on your devices? 

@mthunter wrote:

Wired speeds 1k.

Wireless speeds consistantly low-to-mid 400's.

Rbr50 wired to verizon ont with Cat 6 cable.  Speeds were in consistantly in the 750's-940's until a few weeks ago.  

I've run resets on everything

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7