Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AT&T Fiber (Gigabit service) + Arris BGW210 + Orbi - half speed?

Aiku1337
Tutor

AT&T Fiber (Gigabit service) + Arris BGW210 + Orbi - half speed?

I just got an Arris BGW210 to replace my Pace 5268AC RG from AT&T. I have everything connected and belive I have the Orbi correctly set up in IP Passthrough mode. Running some speed tests I get about 500mbit down and 900mbit up when hard wired through the Orbi on my desktop computer. Connecting directly into the BGW210 I get over 900 up and down. I'm curious if there are any settings I should check to get faster download speeds?

I'm running the Orbi system in router mode.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 31

Accepted Solutions
Aiku1337
Tutor

Re: AT&T Fiber (Gigabit service) + Arris BGW210 + Orbi - half speed?

HI guys sorry I haven't responded. After receiving the BGW I just put it in IP passthrough mode and left everything as default. Nothing special for the Orbi. As far as testing if you use the built in speed test program either in the phone app or the web app it doesn't seem to be accurate. Use a standalone speed testing app (e.g. speedtest.net) and you'll see higher speeds. I found that if you get the actual SpeedTest standalone app (it's on the Mac app store, unsure if Windows has one) I saw higher speeds at 800 down 900 up. Good luck everyone.

View solution in original post

Message 18 of 31

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What are the results if you run the modem in router mode with out IP Passthru and the Orbi in AP mode? 

Message 2 of 31
EZMFE
Aspirant

I just got AT&T gig fiber with the BGW210 and am seeing the same thing... like 500 down and 900+ up.  The interesting part is from the BGW210 modem I get high 900s both up and down.

Message 3 of 31
gr8sho
Virtuoso

Is the BGW210 in IP passthrough mode?
Message 4 of 31
FURRYe38
Guru

1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

@EZMFE wrote:

I just got AT&T gig fiber with the BGW210 and am seeing the same thing... like 500 down and 900+ up.  The interesting part is from the BGW210 modem I get high 900s both up and down.

Message 5 of 31
Aiku1337
Tutor

Just ran the tests. Connected directly to the modem I get 900/900 (up/down). When I put the Orbi in AP mode I get 900/900. So it appears that the Orbi is capable, but maybe some of the advanced features are slowing it down. I don't use Circle or Bitdefender Armor. I may need Circle in the future but for now the kids aren't going on random internet sites.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 6 of 31
Aiku1337
Tutor

@gr8sho wrote:
Is the BGW210 in IP passthrough mode?

Yes the BGW210 is in IP Passthrough mode. The Orbi gets a public IPv4 address. 

I have been running some tests this morning. I had the packet filter turned off (just the default rules filtering ports 80 and 21) and all of the advanced firewall rules off. I was getting 500/900 (down/up). Turning the packet filter back on and setting the Advanced Firewall settings to default I get 750/850. That might be good enough, but I'm curious if there are optimal settings for the BGW.

Message 7 of 31
Aiku1337
Tutor

@EZMFE wrote:

EZMFE, how are you testing? If I use the speed test feature from the Orbi management app on my phone I get 500/900 (down/up). Without changing anything on my network, testing from my computer hardwired to the Orbi I get around 800/900.

Message 8 of 31
FURRYe38
Guru

Are you using IP Passthrough for the Orbi when it's in router mode? 

Message 9 of 31
Aiku1337
Tutor

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Yes I am using IP Passthrough for Orbi when in router mode

Message 10 of 31
gr8sho
Virtuoso

Yes the BGW210 is in IP Passthrough mode. The Orbi gets a public IPv4 address. 

I have been running some tests this morning. I had the packet filter turned off (just the default rules filtering ports 80 and 21) and all of the advanced firewall rules off. I was getting 500/900 (down/up). Turning the packet filter back on and setting the Advanced Firewall settings to default I get 750/850. That might be good enough, but I'm curious if there are optimal settings for the BGW.

That's a great question.  I would have expected disabling all those functions would make the connection more transparent.  I do usually disable packet filtering and leave the firewall in default but have debated disabling completely.  Kudos on configuring the Arris device correctly.  Most come here already in double NAT situation.

Ookla's stuff has always been a bit suspect to me, and so I take their results with a grain of salt.  You can try other speed testing tools to help cailbrate real world expectation.  fast.com is an interesting one by way of example.  Because there is no= true bridge mode, unclear if the device is able to give maximum throughput to the Orbi.  Same problem I see here.

Message 11 of 31
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a factory reset and setup the RBR in router mode. Besure to not use the QoS/Speedtest app this time. Just setup using default settings initially then speed test from a wired PC using there speedtest app. 

@Aiku1337 wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Message 12 of 31
dinkoh
Aspirant

Aiku1337, any updates on improving your download speeds?  I have the same issue, but can't increase beyond 550 down.

You turn on packet filter and firewall to default on the BGW210 to get 700/800?

Message 13 of 31
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@Aiku1337 wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Message 14 of 31
Teedoe
Aspirant

I'm curious to see if Aiku was successful in getting better speeds. I'm having the same issue with the same set up. I will be calling my ISP to setup in transparent bridge mode. What are the preferred settings on the Orbi router to ensure I get top speeds?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 15 of 31
gr8sho
Virtuoso

For those of you with fiber, check dslreports for how to bypass the arris device.
Message 16 of 31
ShepDawg
Aspirant

Were you able to get the 900/900 connection?   If so, what configuration changes did you make?   I have the exact same setup that you do.  

Thanks!

Message 17 of 31
Aiku1337
Tutor

HI guys sorry I haven't responded. After receiving the BGW I just put it in IP passthrough mode and left everything as default. Nothing special for the Orbi. As far as testing if you use the built in speed test program either in the phone app or the web app it doesn't seem to be accurate. Use a standalone speed testing app (e.g. speedtest.net) and you'll see higher speeds. I found that if you get the actual SpeedTest standalone app (it's on the Mac app store, unsure if Windows has one) I saw higher speeds at 800 down 900 up. Good luck everyone.

Message 18 of 31
FURRYe38
Guru

Thank for posting back. Glad your seeing near 900Mbps on the down. 

Yes, Windows has a stand alone app for Ooklaas speed test. Works great. 

Please mark your thread and solved so others will know. 

@Aiku1337 wrote:

Message 19 of 31
dinkoh
Aspirant

Odd. Still getting 500/900 speeds with the Orbi. Have it in router mode and IP passthrough from the bgw.

I turned pack filter off and default firewall settings. Disabled the wifi radios on the bgw as well.

Any other suggestions?
Message 20 of 31
gr8sho
Virtuoso

How are you performing test?
Are you considering bypassing the Arris using the dumb switch method, at least as side by side comparison?
Message 21 of 31
dinkoh
Aspirant

Doesn't matter what method I use to measure the speed (website, standalone app).  It's always the same for me.

I've tried to bypass by buying a compatible switch, but I was unable to get it to work.  However, it doesn't seem that bypassing is necessary to get 900+ download speeds.  It seems like other users are able to get that.

Message 22 of 31
FURRYe38
Guru

What speeds do you see if you configure the RBR for AP mode with your ISP modem? 

What is the Mfr and model# of the switch you bought? 

@dinkoh wrote:

Doesn't matter what method I use to measure the speed (website, standalone app).  It's always the same for me.

I've tried to bypass by buying a compatible switch, but I was unable to get it to work.  However, it doesn't seem that bypassing is necessary to get 900+ download speeds.  It seems like other users are able to get that.

Message 23 of 31
dinkoh
Aspirant

Speeds are the same with AP mode.  I usually get 550+ download.  Upload speeds have never been an issue.

I got TP Link TL-SG105. I got it because someone else had success using it and posted.

Message 24 of 31
gr8sho
Virtuoso

Maybe it’s just me, but are you saying you can use a different router behind the gateway and it works fine for speed, but just the Orbi cannot?
Message 25 of 31
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 30 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7