Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Access control issue/bug with Orbi 2.7.1.60

jbrown316
Apprentice

Access control issue/bug with Orbi 2.7.1.60

Since I upgraded to the latest firmware, the Access Control feature in Advanced...Security in the UI doesn't work properly.  When I turn access to certain devices off, it is also turning off access to devices that still show as "turned on."  I have even disabled Circle to discount that as the problem.  Also, while using the app to turn devices on/off, I frequently receive a "Please try again" message if I turn off more than 1 device, this never used to happen.

I am beyond frustrated as I have been trying to figure this out for a few days and am planning to roll back to the prior version of the software.  Hopefully this is investigated and a fix/resolution can be achieved.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 37
Stev3D
Luminary

I am having very similar issues with my RBK50 setup.  Access Control is randomly blocking previously allowed devices.  It's like a game of whack-a-mole: I re-enable one, and another gets blocked. I saw similar issues with a firmware update a year or so ago and it took a zillion complaints here before Netgear took action to address it.

Moderators, are you watching this?  Here we go again!

Message 2 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

@Blanca_O 

Message 3 of 37
Stev3D
Luminary

For the record, I did a factory reset -- and it didn't solve it.   So I downgraded the firmware to v2.6.1.40 and life is so much better.  I'm quite certain that there is an incompatiblity between MAC address filtering ("Access Control") and this v2.7.1.60 -- possibly exacerbated by IP address reservations. But on the verge of this being the third decade of the 21st century, there is no excuse for these venerable features to be thought of as exotic -- it should just work!

Message 4 of 37
jbrown316
Apprentice

Agreed, reset does not help.  There does appear to be some sort of issue resolving MACs or something with 2.7.1.60.

In the meantime, I am back on 2.7.0.70 and life is good.

Message 5 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

Well for the recorc, v2.7 version of FW have to deal with Circle support and only ment for users in the USA region. 

I would keep to the v2.6 line of FW for now if your ot a Circle feature user. 

Good Luck. 

Message 6 of 37
Stev3D
Luminary

Thanks, @FURRYe38. While I am a US customer, I am not using any of the family management or add-on security features -- which I think are the cause of all the headaches with MAC address filtering ("Access Control").  I don't think they have debugged the firmware adequately.  

I do wish NETGEAR more clearly differentiated the v2.6 and v2.7 lines.  My usual process is to stick with the most current (higher numbered) version to ensure I have all the latest security patches, but that approach doesn't apply here; they have "forked" development and v2.6 is serving a different customer base.  I just wish they made that clear in their documentation.

Message 7 of 37
jbrown316
Apprentice

Thanks for the clarification on 2.6 and 2.7.  I am in the US and use Circle so I will stick with 2.7.0.70 for now.  I had been using that for quite a while with no issues to speak of.

Message 8 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

I know. There should be a bit more info. 

I would revert to v2.6 latest and go from there. You should be find there...

@Stev3D wrote:

Thanks, @FURRYe38. While I am a US customer, I am not using any of the family management or add-on security features -- which I think are the cause of all the headaches with MAC address filtering ("Access Control").  I don't think they have debugged the firmware adequately.  

I do wish NETGEAR more clearly differentiated the v2.6 and v2.7 lines.  My usual process is to stick with the most current (higher numbered) version to ensure I have all the latest security patches, but that approach doesn't apply here; they have "forked" development and v2.6 is serving a different customer base.  I just wish they made that clear in their documentation.

Message 9 of 37
Lyth
Guide

I just had the same thing happen with mine.  Access control completely spazzed out and started randomly blocking allowed devices and CPU usage was through the roof.  I couldn't get the routers webpage to load and there was a lot of heat coming out of it.  Going back to 2.7.0.70 this weekend.  I also did a factory reset and setup from scratch.  2.7.0.70 wasn't showing all of my connected devices but I'll live with that for now.  I had another version of firmware a while back that also had the same thing start happening with access control.  I guess they reintroduced an old bug.

Message 10 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

https://www.reddit.com/r/orbi/comments/jrzeb5/super_satisfying_to_have_all_of_my_devices/

@Lyth wrote:

I just had the same thing happen with mine.  Access control completely spazzed out and started randomly blocking allowed devices and CPU usage was through the roof.  I couldn't get the routers webpage to load and there was a lot of heat coming out of it.  Going back to 2.7.0.70 this weekend.  I also did a factory reset and setup from scratch.  2.7.0.70 wasn't showing all of my connected devices but I'll live with that for now.  I had another version of firmware a while back that also had the same thing start happening with access control.  I guess they reintroduced an old bug.

Message 11 of 37
Lyth
Guide

Yes, reset and setup from scratch.  What's weird is it has worked great since I updated the day after release and it just started this crap 2 days ago.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Message 12 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 13 of 37
Stev3D
Luminary

@Lyth, the version that @FURRYe38 pointed you to (v2.6.1.40) is working well for me.

Message 14 of 37
Newbi6
Aspirant

complete newbie here but regularly follow these posts to see how to resolve issues that continuously arise and not even sure if this is the right post to drop my experience but i've struggled with my orbi system since 2.7.1.60 and the corresponding last 2 ios app updates.  I have not had the ghosting access control issues but I was not able to see any devices in device manager in the app but was able to see everything in web gui.  I had emailed NG a week or two ago and they responded somewhat quick asking for contact info and time to chat which I knew was going to lead to the standard reset of everything and redownload of ios app so I held out and didn't respond.  Today, I got fed up and dove in on my own.

2.7.1.60 appeared to have been released at the same time as the second to last ios update (most recent i have is 2.7.0.28).  When i ran ios update, i checked for updates and 2.7.1.60 was there so it automatically ran.  It was flawed to say the least and my 2 satellites really never took it, none of my devices were connecting, even though it said it installed correctly.  I didn't notice this or check until about a week after the update so I ran the manual updates on router and satellites with the files from Orbi's site then did a power cycle of the main router and satellites.  That seemed to fix and allow my devices to connect to the satellites but still couldn't see any devices in device manager on app.  I was hoping it would come around with the 2.7.0.28 ios app update this week but it didn't.

Will try to lay out my baseline settings throughout but when i upgraded firmware and app, I noticed that access control was automatically enabled and my guest network SSID was now being broadcast.  Neither of those were enabled before the upgrades.  I do not and have never used circle or the parental controls.

I hardwire each of my satellites direct to main router through my wall jacks via my wall closet.  I read somewhere that disabling daisy-chain topology may increase wifi speeds and given i'm hardwire wheel and spoke it made since to me to disable awhile back.

So this morning, i powercycled and then factory reset via pinhole on the main router and satellites.  I connected laptop hardwire to router to run new setup through web gui.  It worked suprisingly easier than i remember back in April when i was on a 2 hr call with NG tech when there was a similar firmware upgrade issue.  It actually showed the router and satellites as having 2.7.1.60 installed straight away, i'm not sure if that held from before the reset or they automatically downloaded as part of the reset reboot.

Now the fun part, the factory reset re-enabled daisy-chain topology and I noticed that my satellites were not .2 and .3 in their IP addresses and the system seemed to fumble around a little bit trying to link them in a stable fashion but didn't stick around to wait.  I disabled daisy-chain which automatically reboots the system.  The whole system got very unstable, satellites wouldn't stay connected and the wifi kept disconnecting and reconnecting repeatedly for a good 20/30 min at least but what i did notice is that in some shape, form or fashion the satellites seemed to be trying to get back to .2 and .3 position.  I was also still hardwired into the router via laptop which i think had taken either the .2 or .3 position which i thought may not be allowing the system to settle out.  When i unplugged laptop from router and they seemed to settle in.  However, although router and satellites were showing 2.7.1.60 as current firmware in the web gui and both sattelites were saying connected in attached devices, one of the satellites status kept flipping back and forth saying downloading firmware and/or waiting for connection on the firmware update tab in the web gui.  At one point, it said update failed.  So I was going to do a manual install but it wouldn't let me connect to the satellite via my hardwire into the other sattelite so after i powercycled the troubled satellite i hardwired into that same troubled satellite and ran web gui, the firmware download issue seemed to resolve itself and now i'm able to see all devices in device manager.

All that being said, I think it may have something to do with the order in which the satellites are connecting to the router to establish their baseline, secured connection.  If i was fully wireless, i think i would have tried to use a different SSID after the reset so that all my devices couldn't reconnect before satellite links were established and stabilized.  After that, I think you should be able to change SSID and all devices will connect back up.

Only other customized settings I have are IP passthrough from ATT router, reset my Orbi IP handouts to start with 190 (seemed to fix some corporate VPN issues i was having back at beginning of pandemic).  I turned off 20/40 coexistence on 2.4 (sorry neighbors) and enabled implicit beamforming and MU-MIMO.  I was allowing IPv6 but seemed to create some conflicts on one of my Sony TVs so subsequently turned it off.  Lastly, i have armor enabled.

not sure if this helps anyone on here contemplating the reset but figured i'd post it since i know how much i appreciate all the posts from everyone else, they're helpful to those of whose are not as well versed in this arena.

Message 15 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

When connecting the RBS, it's recommended to first sync the RBS, one at a time to the RBR wirelessly. I would do this near or in same room as RBR. Setup a IP address reservation for the 1st RBS ON the RBR or host router. Do same for 2nd RBS. Once both RBS are wirelessly connected and IP reserved, ethernet connect 1 RBS at a time to the RBR. Once both are ethernet connected and show WIRED for the connection status ON the RBR, turn the RBS OFF and then place at there remote locations. 

@Newbi6 

Message 16 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

And Daisy Chain should be disabled if your RBS are in Start or Spoke formation around the RBR. 

Message 17 of 37
Lyth
Guide

Being stubborn, I reset and setup from scratch 3 more times yesterday morning with 2.7.1.60 then gave up on it.  Several pages in the router wouldn't load or were very slow to load.  I left top running in a telnet session and the CPU is getting taxed pretty hard with this frimware.  On the last reset, the guest network started showing up even though it was not enabled.  I could connect to it but was unable to get internet.  I went back to 2.6.1.40 and everything seems ok after about 24hrs.  We use circle and access control to keep the kids from bypassing it by changing their MAC.  I haven't received any complaints from anyone experiencing odd issues so far and access control is behaving.  One issue I had downgrading was that after I flashed the satellites and confirmed the correct firmware was on them, they were mysteriously running 2.7.1.60 again after a reboot.  I ran the firmware again and it stuck the second time.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

You can try this one:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-6-1-40/m-p/1997895/highlight/tr...

Message 18 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, thanks for letting us know. Seems that v2.7 versions are giving odd problems for sure. I tested mine out yesterday and ethernet connected RBS causes a ARP Storm on the network. So there is that. Smiley Wink

I'll try and downgrade to v2.6.1.40 and see how it goes. Wondering if users should just avoid anything on the v2.7 line...

Message 19 of 37
jbrown316
Apprentice

The original problem with v2.7.1.60 continues to be an issue with v2.7.2.102.

Netgear, please fix this issue.  The Security/Access Control page in the web browser UI behaves erratically.  There is definitely some sort of MAC or IP conflict issue that has not been fixed.  Turning on/off access for a device is impacting connectivity of other devices on the network.

Unfortunately I had to disable auto updates (thanks for not including this option in the UI) because after re-installing 2.7.0.70, the router auto-updated itself overnight to 2.7.2.102.  I would like to be able to install a more recent version of the firmware someday.

Message 20 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

Are you setting IP address reservations for the devices in the access control list before enabling it? 

Contact NG support about this to let them know. NG doesn't hang  out in the forums to check for problems.

@Blanca_O 

Message 21 of 37
jbrown316
Apprentice

No, not reserving IPs.  Thanks for the help.

Message 22 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

You might try reserving IP addresses for devices that you will be controlling. Disable Access control, reboot, then setup IP address reservations for your devices, save and apply. After the reboot, setup Access Control

Message 23 of 37
jbrown316
Apprentice

I did try reserving IPs as you suggested, but that didn't seem to fully resolve the issue.  It may not be quite as frequent as before (and that could just be coincidence), but I will still lose my Internet connection on other devices when I turn on/off devices that I set up static IPs for.  It seems to happen whether I use the UI Access Control page or the app's Manage Devices page.  It is quite frustrating.

Message 24 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

You might send a forum moderator a message and let then know what your seeing in recent versions of FW. 

Also you might downgrade to v16:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-2-5-1-16-Update/m-p/1897955/highlight/tru...

Message 25 of 37
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 36 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7