Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Access revoked

jeffb99
Aspirant

Access revoked

I have an RBR50 with Device Access control Enabled.  What causes a device that has been enabled to become disabled.  This always seems to happen at Random times for unknown reasons.  Today it happened on my main admin machine.  Is there a way to enabel a device so that it won't become disabled unless I revoke it's access.  Please advise.  Running firmware 2.2.1.210

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a Manual FW load:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-released-as-of-10-3-18/m-p/1647303/highligh...

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-and-connection-problems-Skybell/m-p/1649275...

Message 2 of 22
jeffb99
Aspirant

Not sure this is the same issue but thanks.  I am on the 2...210 FW release.  I tried updating that when this problem started.  I use access control for the devices allowed on the network.  Even though they have been enabled, they seem to have the access revoked at random times for random reasons.  For example, last night one laptop on my network was locked out and as I was re-enabling the device from the router admin, the router revoked access to my admin machine.  I had just hit enable the device so I was past the pwd etc. on the router set up software when it revoked.  I hope this added detail helps. 

Message 3 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Seems that others have reported this as well. Something NG support should be made aware of if not already.

@Christian_R

Message 4 of 22
jeffb99
Aspirant

I agree, just not sure the bast way to do that.

Message 5 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

You can send the Mods a PM. 

I would for now, not use access controls if your not having good experiences with it. Hopefully next FW update it will be fixed. 

Message 6 of 22
jeffb99
Aspirant

How does one do that?  This is getting frustrating and seems to have been made worse by recent FW210

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 7 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 8 of 22
jeffb99
Aspirant

Awsome thanks.

Message 9 of 22
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi All, 

Let me check this with our engineers.   

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 10 of 22
jeffb99
Aspirant

In the meantime, how to I also set the Satatlite to the older firmware?  At this point my satalite is off line because the firmware versions do not match.  RBR50 is at 2.1.4.16 and the RBS50 is at 2.2.1.210 which seems to have major issues.

Please advise.

Message 11 of 22
jeffb99
Aspirant

Also note I have tried to manual update the satalite and when I click the update button, it give me the Access denied window and not the login /pwd screen or the select file screen

Message 12 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a reset been performed on the satellite and try to re-add it to the RBR with v16 on it? 

Besure Daisy Chain on the RBR is un-checked as well. 

Message 13 of 22
jeffb99
Aspirant

Furry you are great and much appreciate you support.

A reset, actually somehow bumpped my main router back to 210 and it's issues, but it did allow me access to the satalite and then I was able to download 4.16 back to the satalite and re-back the RBR50 to 4.16.  Let's see how this goes for a bit.

Message 14 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, Thats a good method as well. 

You can try to block the auto update and see if it keeps your orbi at 16:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBK50-firmware-V2-2-1-210-update-slows-WAN-speed-with-30-...

Thought NOT supported. Smiley Wink

Message 15 of 22
jeffb99
Aspirant

New update:

Blocking the site does not seem to stop the auto update as it auto updated on it's own so I am back to a slightly crippled system.  I hate Auto Update.  Anyway I digress.  Have not tried the Telnet solution, yet but I do have a new update.  Main Router seems fine at 210.  It's the Satalittle that is toasted at this level.  Every time I turn it on, it says it's connected via the blue light, the main router says it's connected and that the status is good.  But devices connecting to the wi-fi from that device lose internet access.

Short of Telnet solution I'll take other options.  Have not herd back from engineers yet, they seem like this is not an issue to the,.  Arg.  If not netgear, any reccomendations on a good home wi-fi that allows access control/ named devices on the network. and gues net, etc.  Have a 2 story house at 2200 square feet.  Need coverage from basement to 2nd floor.

Router in basement.  I know not ideal but that is where the main system is etc,

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 16 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials. 

Do you have just the one satellite or do you have two? 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 17 of 22
jeffb99
Aspirant

I had tried a Factory reset and firmware to 1.6 then it auto updated to 210 even though I have that one server shut down.  Giving your updated settings a go.  Also 1 Orbi Satalite, probably 1/2 dozen other wireless networks when I scan.I have 20/40 Coexistance to off so I think that is 40 only.

Onter settings such as MMO, Daisey chain etc. had been turned off based on previous suggestions.

I'll keep you posted as this is painful.

Thanks for your continued support!!

-Jeff

Message 18 of 22
jeffb99
Aspirant

No improvement 😞

Message 19 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

You might try the telnet process. 

Access control will not block auto update...

Message 20 of 22
jeffb99
Aspirant

Took a bit of work but finally got them both downgraded with the Telnet solution.  Let's see how this goes.  If nothing else, it might buy me time to look into non-netgear solutions should they not get this resolved in a timely solution.  Thanks again everyone.  If not for you I would have already taken a hammer to this orbi solution and bought a competitors solution.

Message 21 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements