Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Add Orbi Modem to Existing Orbi Network

jkpolack24
Tutor

Add Orbi Modem to Existing Orbi Network

I have an existing network setup that includes an RBR20 and and RBS20. They are connected to the internet through older Arris Modem/Router. The current setup has the RBR20 in AP mode. I'd like to replace the Arris and was hoping to add in an Orbi Modem/Router. If I do this, is it possible to setup the new Modem to do the routing and use use the existing RBR20 to further extend the network (I could use a bit of extra coverage). If it helps, it is possible for me to connect both the RBR20 and RBS20 to the Modem/Router via ethernet.

Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Add Orbi Modem to Existing Orbi Network

The answer is "No"  (and "sort of")

The RBR20 (router) can only function as the "router" in an Orbi system.  It can never be a "satellite."  By purchasing an Orbi CBR40 (cable modem/router/WiFi), you can eliminate the Arris as long as the Orbi is compatible with the ISP.  You will still have one router and one satellite.

The left-over RBR20 CAN be placed in Access Point (AP) mode and connected to the new router.  It will function just like any WiFi access point of any brand.  It will not integrate or coordinate with the Orbi system.  i.e. devices will not "roam" from Orbi to this (or back).  It would cost a ton less to purchase ordinary WiFi access points (from anybody.  heck buy two or three.  But, you will no longer have a "mesh" system.  Getting a mesh instead of a collection of access points was why mesh systems were created.

My advice: don't do it.

Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Add Orbi Modem to Existing Orbi Network

NG offers a orbi CBK40 that is a Orbi with a built in modem with in the RBR. Check with your ISP to see if they support this model Orbi first. 

@jkpolack24 wrote:

I have an existing network setup that includes an RBR20 and and RBS20. They are connected to the internet through older Arris Modem/Router. The current setup has the RBR20 in AP mode. I'd like to replace the Arris and was hoping to add in an Orbi Modem/Router. If I do this, is it possible to setup the new Modem to do the routing and use use the existing RBR20 to further extend the network (I could use a bit of extra coverage). If it helps, it is possible for me to connect both the RBR20 and RBS20 to the Modem/Router via ethernet.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7