Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Add on

Marydv
Aspirant

Add on

I have an orbi rb 20 I need an additional satellite or an extender. Advice please

my ring system is not working the way it should 

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Add on

@Marydv wrote:

I have an orbi rb 20 I need an additional satellite or an extender. Advice please

my Ring system is not working the way it should 

Ring doorbells are a complicated subject, with numerous (very long) posts on the forum discussing how to get them to function in various scenarios.  Getting it connected to WiFi, "Live View", and integration with Alexa are frequent topics. (The upper left of the forum page has a "search" function.)

If the root problem is that the WiFi signal is not strong enough at the doorbell location, there are a number of ways to deal with that.  One is to add an Orbi satellite that is closer to the doorbell and oriented to avoid any building materials which are blocking WiFi signals.  Any of the original Orbi satellites are compatible with the RBR20 router, including RBS50, RBS40, RBS20, RBW30, and RBS40V. (Not the "Pro" line and not the "AX" line of products.)

Another solution is to install a "WiFi Extender" that will boost the signal.  If the Ring is a 2.4G only model, then the extender can be a 2.4G only model, such as the TP-Link N300.  If the doorbell supports both 2.4G and 5G, the Netgear EX3700 might be worth considering.  Extenders are not a good substitute for Orbi satellites if the client device "moves around" and is sometimes closer to one Orbi unit than the others (called "roaming")  Doorbells are fixed in one location, so that makes extenders more suitable.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies
vajim
Master

Message 2 of 7
Marydv
Aspirant

I don't understand back haul. 

so being that satellite that I was looking for was a 20 

I can use a 30 wall extender or 50 satellite.  
I am so stupid 

Message 3 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@Marydv wrote:

my Ring system is not working the way it should 

Ring doorbells are a complicated subject, with numerous (very long) posts on the forum discussing how to get them to function in various scenarios.  Getting it connected to WiFi, "Live View", and integration with Alexa are frequent topics. (The upper left of the forum page has a "search" function.)

If the root problem is that the WiFi signal is not strong enough at the doorbell location, there are a number of ways to deal with that.  One is to add an Orbi satellite that is closer to the doorbell and oriented to avoid any building materials which are blocking WiFi signals.  Any of the original Orbi satellites are compatible with the RBR20 router, including RBS50, RBS40, RBS20, RBW30, and RBS40V. (Not the "Pro" line and not the "AX" line of products.)

Another solution is to install a "WiFi Extender" that will boost the signal.  If the Ring is a 2.4G only model, then the extender can be a 2.4G only model, such as the TP-Link N300.  If the doorbell supports both 2.4G and 5G, the Netgear EX3700 might be worth considering.  Extenders are not a good substitute for Orbi satellites if the client device "moves around" and is sometimes closer to one Orbi unit than the others (called "roaming")  Doorbells are fixed in one location, so that makes extenders more suitable.

Message 4 of 7
Marydv
Aspirant

Thank you. So much. You spoke to me. Helped me understand.
Is there something called a backhaul I need to be concerned about?
Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 5 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@Marydv wrote:
Thank you. So much. You spoke to me. Helped me understand.
Is there something called a backhaul I need to be concerned about?

"Backhaul" is the term used to describe the connection between the Orbi router and satellites. "out of the box", the Orbi expects to use a 5G WiFi channel for this connection, which creates great flexibility is where the units are placed.  A satellite can be moved to another place in a room, or to a different room by simply unplugging it, moving it, and plugging it in somewhere else.

All of the Orbi satellites except the RBW30 and RBS10 have at least one ethernet jack on them which can be used to connect to the router. We call this a "wired backhaul".  It offers faster throughput, but implies that an ethernet cable has to connect the two units.  This can be expensive and is impractical in many houses. It also means that once the cable is installed, that satellite is "fixed" in that location and cannot be moved unless another cable is installed.

For most of us, the wired backhaul is more than adequate.  There are houses with concrete or stone interior walls and floors which seriously iimpact WiFi signals. In those circumstances, installing etherent cables may be the only way to get a good connection between router and satellites.  Also, the maximum speed of ethernet is considerably higher than WiFi, so users who want to "get the MOST possible" are motivated to use a wired backhaul.

Nothing to be concerned about unless there is a problem.

Message 6 of 7
Marydv
Aspirant

Thank you. You are the best.
My last question can I get those little square Orbi satellites for 69.99 rbs10 or another one.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7