Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

All about TFTP

alokeprasad
Mentor

All about TFTP

The use of TFTP as a last resort has become a common advice lately.  I want to unserstand that process (in case I need to use it at some point in the future).

1. About NG's KB article: How to upload firmware to a NETGEAR router using Windows TFTP 

What are steps 1 through 5? The web page starts out at step 6

2. Using TFTP on the RBR:

The steps in the above article assumes that the RBR is available on ethernet LAN at 192.168.1.1. after a factory or 30-30-30 reset.

What if the RBR is "bricked" and does not show up at that IP address?

How do we find out the RBR's IP address to send the .img file to?

If the RBR is missing, and not reachable on the LAN, then are we SOL?

3. Using TFTP on a RBS:

Does this require a functioning RBR?

Often, after a failed update, Neither RBR nor RBS is available on the LAN. Then what?

If the RBS is not synced to the RBR over WiFi, how do we communicate with the RBS to TFTP to it?

Should we connect the RBS to the RBR via ethernet in that case?

How to find RBS on the LAN?

What IP address to use to communicate with the RBS?

Many of my doubts are because after a failed update, the devices are unreachabel or flashing magenta or white and not otherwise functioning normally. 

How should we proceed when

a) devices are not established on the LAN?

b) if they are on the LAN, what IP address are they at?

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: All about TFTP

TFTP should not be use commonly. It's only for recovery of the RBR and RBS when and IF a FW update goes bad or a bad mis-configuration or a bad operation happens on these devices where the units don't function correctly, reset doesn't work or the web page can't be accessed due something mention above. 

Need to press the reset button for 30 seconds then release, then it send to PUT the command and upload the FW. 

https://github.com/jclehner/nmrpflash

Some others experiences with Bricked units:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR50-seems-stuck-in-boot-loop/m-p/2010016/highlight/true...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Is-my-13-month-old-RBR50-bricked/m-p/2011090/highlight/true#M1...

Bricked Orbi Recovery:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-orbi-rbk50-rbk53-rbr50-rbs50-v-9-2-5-1-1...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Is-my-13-month-old-RBR50-bricked/td-p/2009904/jump-to/first-un...

Message 2 of 12
alokeprasad
Mentor

Thx.

Any input to my specific questions?

Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

@alokeprasad wrote:

The use of TFTP as a last resort has become a common advice lately.  I want to unserstand that process (in case I need to use it at some point in the future).

1. About NG's KB article: How to upload firmware to a NETGEAR router using Windows TFTP 

What are steps 1 through 5? The web page starts out at step 6

What browser are you using? I'm using Opera GX and see steps 1 thru 5 displayed on the web page in reference.

2. Using TFTP on the RBR:

The steps in the above article assumes that the RBR is available on ethernet LAN at 192.168.1.1. after a factory or 30-30-30 reset.

What if the RBR is "bricked" and does not show up at that IP address?

How do we find out the RBR's IP address to send the .img file to?

If the RBR is missing, and not reachable on the LAN, then are we SOL?

If the RBR is bricked to the point that normal TFTP methods doesn't work, Then you can try this:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Is-my-13-month-old-RBR50-bricked/td-p/2009904/jump-to/first-un...

3. Using TFTP on a RBS:

Does this require a functioning RBR? No

Often, after a failed update, Neither RBR nor RBS is available on the LAN. Then what?

If the RBS is not synced to the RBR over WiFi, how do we communicate with the RBS to TFTP to it? If bricked or normally in a bad state, then the TFTP method would work as it would on the RBR using same process. 

Should we connect the RBS to the RBR via ethernet in that case?

How to find RBS on the LAN?

What IP address to use to communicate with the RBS?

When the RBS is normally operating with out any bad operations or bricked, or if the RBS isn't synced, the IP address of all RBS, if not synced, is 192.168.1.250

Many of my doubts are because after a failed update, the devices are unreachabel or flashing magenta or white and not otherwise functioning normally. 

How should we proceed when

a) devices are not established on the LAN?

b) if they are on the LAN, what IP address are they at?

First step if a RBS has failed to update or didn't sync right, Power OFF both the RBS/RBR for 15 seconds then back on. Check to see if it startes to Blink WHITE first the slowly pulse WHITE. IF it re-syncs on it's own then good. If not, try pressing the sync button on the RBS then RBR while the RBS is in the same room as the RBR. This should get it synced. If not, then a factory reset maybe needed on the RBS and also the RBR, then setup from scratch. IF the RBS still fails to sync, then I would reset the RBS and let it time out and after 5 minutes with a wired PC connected to the RBS, a web browse check would be need to see if you can access the RBS web page at 192.168.1.250. If you can, then I would manually re-send the FW file directly to the RBS again. If you can't access the RBS web page, then the TFTP recovery should be tried. 

Message 4 of 12
alokeprasad
Mentor

On Item 1:

Firefox display is incorrect (it is counting the 5 bulleted items!!)

Chrome displays it correctly.

Message 5 of 12
alokeprasad
Mentor

Thx for your replies.  this is how I understand it.:

The RBR establishes itself at 192.168.1.1.  Make sure no other device has that IP address assigned to it. If one cannot ping the RBS at that IP address after various resets, then we are done. We cannot send anything to it if it is unreachable.

The RBS establishes itself at 192.168.1.250. Have a functional RBR and try to sync it to RBS by resetting the RBS using different methods. If that fails, wire-connect the RBS to the RBR and ping the RBS at 192.168.1.250.  If one cannot reach the RBS at 192.168.1.250, then we are done, as we cannot send any file to it.

Message 6 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

Might also see post #92 in this thread:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/New-Orbi-RBR50-Router-Firmware-Version-V2-7-2-104-Released/m-p... 

I am not sure if it is entirely clear that when using TFTP there should be only two devices, connected by an ethernet cable: the computer that is sending firmware with TFTP and the device that is being flashed.  Nothing else. The computer needs to have a static IP address in the 192.168.1.x range (I use 192.168.1.2) with subnet mask 255.255.255.0  It is impossible to TFTP over the WiFi connection.

Message 7 of 12
alokeprasad
Mentor

You mean this one about the limited time window?

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/New-Orbi-RBR50-Router-Firmware-Version-V2-7-2-104-Released/m-p... 

So, to use TFTP for a RBR, connect the PC (set to 192.168.1.2, in your example) with an ethernet cable to the RBR and use the router's IP address as 192.168.1.1 in the command

tftp -i 192.168.1.1 put filename.img

Question: How do you make sure that the receiving RBR is responding to IP address 192.168.1.1?

So, to use TFTP for a RBS, connect the PC (set to 192.168.1.2, in your example) with an ethernet cable to the RBS and use the router's IP address as 192.168.1.250 in the command

tftp -i 192.168.1.250 put filename.img

Question: How do you make sure that the receiving RBS is responding to IP address 192.168.1.250?

PS: The command lines above is getting munged by the forum software.  It should be on a single line.

Message 8 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

@alokeprasad wrote:

You mean this one about the limited time window?

So, to use TFTP for a RBR, connect the PC (set to 192.168.1.2, in your example) with an ethernet cable to the RBR and use the router's IP address as 192.168.1.1 in the command

tftp -i [192.168.1.1] put [firmware filename].[file format]

Question: How do you make sure that the receiving RBR is responding to IP address 192.168.1.1?

If it works.

So, to use TFTP for a RBS, connect the PC (set to 192.168.1.2, in your example) with an ethernet cable to the RBS and use the router's IP address as 192.168.1.250 in the command

I believe that all of Netgear's products are 192.168.1.1 when in TFTP mode.

tftp -i [192.168.1.250] put [firmware filename].[file format]

Question: How do you make sure that the receiving RBS is responding to IP address 192.168.1.250?

Message 9 of 12
alokeprasad
Mentor

Thx for staying with me!

>I believe that all of Netgear's products are 192.168.1.1 when in TFTP mode

How do you set a device (an RBS, for example) to the TFTP mode?

The NG article on TFTP (that I linked to earlier) says that this is for "The steps below show how to reload firmware onto a NETGEAR router that will not boot due to a corrupt firmware".

So, you have on your hands, a RBR or RBS that is as below.  How do I verify what IP address it will communicate at?

• Router not booting up properly
  • Failed firmware update
  • Blinking power LED
  • Power LED is blinking/solid amber
  • Device bricked after performing a FW update
Message 10 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

To check if the RBR or RBS is responding, do a ping from a command line box to the IP address to see if it's responding or not. 

Message 11 of 12
alokeprasad
Mentor

Here's my summary:

After a botched upgrade, you have half-dead device.  Connect to it via ethernet with a PC set to 192.168.1.2, subnet mask 255.255.255.0.

Hope and pray that the device responds to pings as follows:

Orbi routers: 192.168.1.1

Orbi satellites:192.168.1.250 (per FURRYe38) or 192.168.1.1 (per CrimpOn).

If you get a response, then follow directions and commands in How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP 

Keep in mind that there is a short window after poering on the device to send the command (per https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP )

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7