Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Announcing availability of OrbiOS 2.1

AmitR
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Announcing availability of OrbiOS 2.1

We’re excited to announce that OrbiOS 2.1 is now available for immediate download here:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBK50.aspx#download

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBK40.aspx#download

To manually upgrade your Orbi, see the KB article here: https://kb.netgear.com/31573/How-do-I-manually-upgrade-firmware-on-my-Orbi-Satellite

This firmware contains several new features that have been eagerly awaited by the community.

1. Parental Controls using Circle with Disney
  2. Ethernet Backhaul, which allows to use Ethernet to connect two Orbi
  3. Backhaul Status & Quality on the Attached Devices Page
  4. Other smaller features
  5. bug fixes 

OrbiOS 2.1 will be available through auto-firmware upgrade soon, but if you want to get started on it sooner, feel free to download and install.

Orbi Product Management 

Message 1 of 180
jefdjandji
Initiate

Great news ! 

Really hope it solves all the stability problems ! That is all I am asking for ! 

Message 2 of 180
Dave1080
Initiate

When you say you have support for ethernet backhaul for two Orbi, do literally mean only two? So if have 3 Orbi (i.e. two satellites) I can't connect them all with ethernet?

Message 3 of 180
Retired_Member
Not applicable

System- RBR50 and 2 RBS50's

Process followed to upgrade:

1) Factory reset system

2) Upgraded firmware on Sats

3) Upgrade firmware on Router

4) Factory Reset System

5) Manually reconfigured all rules and settings

Attached Devices shows no devices or Sats connected, however 62 devices are connected as are both Sats and devices connected to the Sats are working.

ad.png

Message 4 of 180
spinkick
Apprentice

Same, not showing any connected devices, nor do I see any options for ethernet backhaul, are we supposed to just connect it and it will detect it?

Message 5 of 180
thebadpete
Guide

I manually installed the latest firmware yesterday night, I have been noticing that my wifi speedtest throughput is dropped.

Specifically, my broadband provider has 20mb download speed. (Yes, very slow, but I swear not going to Comcast) If I did speedtest from Orbi admin menu directly, I can get close to the max 20mb download speed. However if I do it from my laptop or my phone, I only get 12mb. Even if I stand right next to my Orbi router it is the same. 

Does anyone see similar throughput dropping issue?

Message 6 of 180
mkenny28
Apprentice

Same issue here. No attached devices showing but everything is working.

Message 7 of 180
TonyTiger
Aspirant

Strange because it is working for me also on the detailed page?

?2017-12-05_19-02-34.png

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 8 of 180
AmitR
NETGEAR Employee Retired

No, you can attach multiple Orbi over Ethernet.  See attached for supported topologies:  

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

Message 9 of 180
AmitR
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Yes. Once you connect two Orbi using Ethernet, it will auto detect and switch over.  May take a few mins.

Message 10 of 180
MrX911
Apprentice

Any early perfomance reports on 2.1 from indiviudals that have been suffering dropouts?

Message 11 of 180
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@MrX911 wrote:

Any early perfomance reports on 2.1 from indiviudals that have been suffering dropouts?

No improvements for Google Home, Fire TV sticks (1st and 2nd gen), S8's, S8+'s, S7E's, Amazon dot, tap, show, and echos and Surface 2017.  They continue to disconnect or show no internet.  Many other devices are fine, IP cameras, ring, etc.

Message 12 of 180
Hydro130
Luminary

Update complete here - I did a full factory-reset, as I typically do with major f/w releases.

The update & install went really really smooth smooth for me.  All of my devices are showing up perfectly fine in the GUI, and all are connecting quickly to "where" they each should (router vs sat, 2.4 vs 5, etc). 

I wasn't having any connection issues prior to this update, so I hope this initial smoothness continues on!  Time will tell, of course 😉

Message 13 of 180
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I am seeing no issues with this either. Everything upgraded, kept my settings, detecting all devices and still getting the great speed that I was before from my cable - 165/16

Not using ethernet backhaul, but I have pretty much every other feature enabled across the router and 2 satellites.

Message 14 of 180
Supertramp11
Luminary

Upgrade when smooth.

Unfortunately no return (yet?) of the Wifi Scheduling capability (as per the user manual) 😞

Message 15 of 180
JC_Wifi
Aspirant

Updated firmware to V2.1.1.12 and connected satellite via wired backhaul. Now devices connected to Satellite are incorrectly shown with a connection type of WIRED.

Message 16 of 180
MrX911
Apprentice

Is it necessary to do a factory reset before the upgrade?  I followed the online intstructions from Netgear and there was no mention of this so I proceeded without it. Less than 24 hours but no drops yet and I’d been suffering a lot on the last firmware. Might get to keep the Orbi after all.  Fingers crossed.

Message 17 of 180
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@MrX911 wrote:

Is it necessary to do a factory reset before the upgrade?  I followed the online intstructions from Netgear and there was no mention of this so I proceeded without it. Less than 24 hours but no drops yet and I’d been suffering a lot on the last firmware. Might get to keep the Orbi after all.  Fingers crossed.

You just never know.  I've had periods of days and weeks where it was rock solid and then be terrilbe. Reboot the router a few times and use it before declaring success.  

Message 18 of 180
Hydro130
Luminary

@AmitR

I have just one satellite, and I'll contunue to use wireless backhaul (no ethernet). 

In the Attached Devices screen, I see a new entry for the status/quality of my satellite's wireless connection -- mine says "Good" (in green-colored font)

Beyond "Good", can you please tell us what the other possible values for this field are?  (i.e. Bad, Poor, Excellent, etc)

Is "Good" the best / most desirable entry that I can have here? 

I'm curious if there's an "Excellent" or (some similar descriptor that's higher that "Good") that I should perhaps try to shoot for.

Thanks!

Message 19 of 180
vlix
Initiate

If i use the Ethernet Backhaul, what happens with the Wireless Backhaul?

Will it be disabled? Can it be used by Client Devices to connect?

Message 20 of 180
spinkick
Apprentice

The connection details are all set, and my connections are reliable, however I'm getting the same old orbi thing where my 350 mb connection is only coming through wireless at 40-50 meg or so. Factory reset will probably fix it for a time. I wish netgear would get to the bottom of that issue.

Message 21 of 180
plemans
Guru

I'm not showing that anything happens to it. I was hoping it'd be freed up for the 3rd radio to be used. I show through inssider though that its still there as a hidden network. I don't see any options to use it. That's to bad as it was one of the major benefits of ethernet backhaul. Here's to hoping a future upgrade allows us to use it.  Or at least allow us to disable the wireless backhaul so I can use a different device in the 149-165 range without having to worry about any interference. 

Message 22 of 180
SharkSight
Aspirant

I have the same question as Hydro130... mine says good also... wondering what other indicators may appear here.

Message 23 of 180
Davapersson
Guide

Great 🙂

A few questions

1. If I have a satellite connected with Ethernet Backhaul, can the satellite still use wifi backhaul to another satellite using Daisy chain?

2. Does the Ethernet Backhaul satellite use all its antenna bandwith to the ”ordinari wifi” because it has no longer use for the 5G backhaul anymore?

3. I assume the router can connect to one satellite with ethernet backhaul and another satellite with wifi backhaul?

Sincerely

David

Message 24 of 180
JMU1998
Luminary

Does this Firmware include the fix for the hack that came with the .76 patch? Or we have to apply patch after upgrading Firmware? 

Message 25 of 180
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7