Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Another Orbi RBK50 with slow wifi

3DDD
Initiate

Another Orbi RBK50 with slow wifi

Hi All.

As I'm not the first one to experience this problem,  I've read all of the relevant discussions on this forum, and others, and I've exhausted all of the suggestions made,  but the problem persists.

My system is a RBR50 with two RBS50 satellites, wired directly into the ISP modem, which provides me with 100Mbps download and 50Mbps upload speeds.

RBR50 set to router mode. Firmware on router and satellites is 2.5.1.8, updated 2020-03-06 from 2.3.5.30.

Distance between router and each satellite is about 35 feet.

My house is about 3500ft² and consists of brick and mortar walls, but backhaul connectivity status is "Good".

Satellites are at either end of the house with router located in the centre.

System was installed at the end of Nov 2019, and everything worked 100%.

Download speed was very similar for the hard wired and wifi devices (mostly Android), at about 96Mbps download and 48Mbps upload speed. Very happy customer.

I use speedtest.net to determine the up- and download speeds.

Come 1st of March 2020, my wired up- and download speeds are still the same, but all wifi connected devices only achieve 10-20Mbps download speed, and 48Mbps upload speed.

So this happened before the firmware update, and stayed exactly the same afterwards.

So far I have tried all of these suggestions with absolutely no improvement:

1. Playing around with different channels -  Currently 2.4ghz - Set to 6 and 5ghz - 48.

2. Scanned for neighbors' networks, but there aren't any that interfere with my network. Property is 16000ft² free standing home.

3Enabled Beamforming.

4. Enabled MIMO.

5. Enabled Fast Roaming .

6. Enabled WMM (Wi-Fi multimedia) settings.

7. Disabled the daisy chain.

8. Disabled IPv6.

9. Disabled 20/40Mhz Coexistence.

10. Factory reset router and sattelites.

11. Disconnected satellites.

12. Disconnected my NVR CCTV system.

13. Disconnected all wired and wifi devices, other than my Android device.

I've considered asking for an exchange unit, but seeing how many people are having the same issue, I doubt that it would be the solution.

Has anyone managed to get an actual solution to this problem? I've spent days out of my life trying to get this sorted, but am at wits end with this system. 

Really disappointed with this very expensive system at this stage.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
3DDD
Initiate

Ok, here's an update on the issue.

While my up- and download speeds appeared to be fine when testing it over hard wired network, I started noticing buffering when watching Netflix, also over hard wired connection.

I contacted my ISP and it seems like there was something wrong with the fibre signal to my house.
This has now been resolved and all of a sudden my wifi speeds are back to normal.

So no problem with the RBK50 system, as I changed all settings back to default.
For lack of a better explanation, it seems that the wifi speed is very sensitive in terms of signal quality received at the router.

So save yourself all of the effort that I went to, and first double check the quality of your fibre signal.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
3DDD
Initiate

Ok, here's an update on the issue.

While my up- and download speeds appeared to be fine when testing it over hard wired network, I started noticing buffering when watching Netflix, also over hard wired connection.

I contacted my ISP and it seems like there was something wrong with the fibre signal to my house.
This has now been resolved and all of a sudden my wifi speeds are back to normal.

So no problem with the RBK50 system, as I changed all settings back to default.
For lack of a better explanation, it seems that the wifi speed is very sensitive in terms of signal quality received at the router.

So save yourself all of the effort that I went to, and first double check the quality of your fibre signal.
Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you found the real problem and they fixed it. 

Suggestions for future use:

30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Beamforming and WMM should be enabled most of the time. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Above suggestions working:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Throttling-Devices-RBK53/m-p/1858561/highlight/true#M81925

Enjoy. 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7