Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Another Orbi dropping connection thread

Nailem
Aspirant

Another Orbi dropping connection thread

Hello all, I've had my Orbi RBK50 and RBS50 set up for roughly 6 months. When I first got it I was having a lot of dropped connection issues. I tried several things from the community, channel, unmarking beamforming, Daisy chain, fast roaming, and MU-mimo. Nothing help. Finally I had a tech from Netgear have me change MTU size to 1492 and all was good up until a few weeks ago. Now I have drops 4 or 5 times an hour. When it drops my phone will say "failed to find IP address" or something to that effect. Satellite connection showed it was "good" and both 2.4 and 5 where connected. I finally unplugged my satellite and it has been stable for 24 hours.
I tried various channels with no luck. Current settings are: 2.4 channel auto (I have tried 3, 6, 11), 5 channel 48, MTU 1492, CTS/RTS 2307 on 2 and 5, power is 100% both.
When I change settings on the router is it also making those changes to the satellite?
It's hard to say how far away the sat. Is from the router. Router is on 1st floor sat. Is on 2nd, about 25 horizontal feet plus the vertical.
I read to turn the power settings down? What do you think?
Should I set a statics IP?
Should I switch back to older software build?
Any other thoughts?
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 19
ekhalil
Master

I think there must be something wrong with your satellite, if when switching it off everything gets working.

I had a similar issue and after long troubleshooting, I found that the cause was my wired speakers conneted to the LAN port of the Satellite.

What type of wired devices do you have connected to Sateliite? Any wired mesh speakers (e.g. Sonos)?

If this is not the issue then it can also be related to that the Satellite is not getting a coorect IP address. Do you have a reserved IP address for the Satellite?

Message 2 of 19
Nailem
Aspirant

I do have my Arlo base unit plugged into the satellite. I'll try unplugging and testing.
I do not have a reserved IP for the sat. I'll Google how make that change. What's weird is it for several months with no issues but now I'm back to my original issue. I have always had my Arlo plugged into it.
Thanks
Message 3 of 19
ekhalil
Master

@Nailem wrote:
I do have my Arlo base unit plugged into the satellite. I'll try unplugging and testing.
I do not have a reserved IP for the sat. I'll Google how make that change. What's weird is it for several months with no issues but now I'm back to my original issue. I have always had my Arlo plugged into it.
Thanks

Please test to disconnect the wired devices and see if this will bring any change.

As I mentioend the issue can be with your IP network.

- Has there recently been an change in your ISP router or Modem?

- If you have an ISP router, is it bridged?

- Do you have Orbi in Router Mode?

- Do you have an ISP 

- What IP address is assigned to the Satellite when the issue happens? 

- Please set a reserved address for the Satellite. You can do this by going to >> ADVANCED >> Setup >> LAN Setup >> and click on ADD on the bottom of the page.

Message 4 of 19
ekhalil
Master

@Nailem wrote:
................ Finally I had a tech from Netgear have me change MTU size to 1492 and all was good up until a few weeks ago. ............

There is no way that such a setting will cause or solve such drop issues. MTU size can affect upload/download speeds or will cause drops while uploading/downloading big amounts of data at most, but not that the device to loose network connectivity, I guess!

I suspect that the restart that happened after the parameter change is what solved the issue, not the parameter (MTU size) change, but I can be wrong..

Message 5 of 19
Nailem
Aspirant

Has there recently been an change in your ISP router or Modem?
Not that I am aware of.

- If you have an ISP router, is it bridged?
It is a Netgear CM500 router only. Don't think it is bridged.
- Do you have Orbi in Router Mode?
Orbi is in router mode

- Do you have an ISP
Spectrum

- What IP address is assigned to the Satellite when the issue happens?
How do I know what the IP is when it goes down?Please advise.
- Please set a reserved address for the Satellite. You can do this by going to >> ADVANCED >> Setup >> LAN Setup >> and click on ADD on the bottom of the page.
Do I just pick any IP address in the range?
I'm going to let it run over night and tomorrow to see how it runs with the Arlo unhooked.
Thank you again for your time. I apologise in advance if some of my questions are basic. I will do some research on reserving an IP.
Message 6 of 19
ekhalil
Master

@Nailem wrote:
It is a Netgear CM500 router only. Don't think it is bridged.

I checked this product and it looks like a Modem only with no router functionality.

@Nailem wrote:
I'm going to let it run over night and tomorrow to see how it runs with the Arlo unhooked.

Yes, please let us know if you will get any improvement with no wired devices

Message 7 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using?

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).
Disney Circle: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/WARNING-Firmware-2-2-1-210-is-junk/m-p/1667485/highlight/true#...

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/quot-Reverse-quot-Daisy-Chain-issue-any-update/m-p/1653439
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR50-Slow-Wired-WAN-after-2-2-1-210-Upgrade/m-p/1667058/...

@Nailem wrote:
Hello all, I've had my Orbi RBK50 and RBS50 set up for roughly 6 months. When I first got it I was having a lot of dropped connection issues. I tried several things from the community, channel, unmarking beamforming, Daisy chain, fast roaming, and MU-mimo. Nothing help. Finally I had a tech from Netgear have me change MTU size to 1492 and all was good up until a few weeks ago. Now I have drops 4 or 5 times an hour. When it drops my phone will say "failed to find IP address" or something to that effect. Satellite connection showed it was "good" and both 2.4 and 5 where connected. I finally unplugged my satellite and it has been stable for 24 hours.
I tried various channels with no luck. Current settings are: 2.4 channel auto (I have tried 3, 6, 11), 5 channel 48, MTU 1492, CTS/RTS 2307 on 2 and 5, power is 100% both.
When I change settings on the router is it also making those changes to the satellite?
It's hard to say how far away the sat. Is from the router. Router is on 1st floor sat. Is on 2nd, about 25 horizontal feet plus the vertical.
I read to turn the power settings down? What do you think?
Should I set a statics IP?
Should I switch back to older software build?
Any other thoughts?

Message 8 of 19
Nailem
Aspirant

My Arlo has been unplugged and everything was stable last night and most of the day and then my daughter came home, she had spent the night at a friend's house, and I started dropping connection. Probably 15 times between noon and 5pm. I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not but she is the only one in the family with an iPhone.
Message 9 of 19
Nailem
Aspirant

Furrye38, I followed your threads when I initially had issues. I have tried all the different channels, disabled all that you suggest. I pick up 3 other WiFi. WiFi analyst says channel 6 should be the best for me but it did not make a difference.
Orbi is set to WPA-PSK (aes)
I will try enabling Daisy chain.
House is about 3500 sqft. Best guess on distance between the router and satellite is 25 linear feet plus satellite is on second floor and router is on first so add another 10ft. Mostly wood and drywall.
Message 10 of 19
ekhalil
Master

@Nailem wrote:
My Arlo has been unplugged and everything was stable last night and most of the day and then my daughter came home, she had spent the night at a friend's house, and I started dropping connection. Probably 15 times between noon and 5pm. I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not but she is the only one in the family with an iPhone.

This is almost the symptoms that I was getting. Issues were triggered when one device starts doing roaming then the whole system will start go crazy.

It looks that you have the router and satellite close to each other so that roaming will be triggered for some devices very often (can be an idea to get the base stations further from each other or reduce the transmission power).

My issue was caused solely by my wired speakers. You mentioned that you only had the Arlo hum connected to the Satellite. Any other wired devices connected to the router? Can you also please look in the logs and see if you have very frequent DHCP (same IP address getting DHCP assignment every couple of seconds). You can find the Logs here:

Namnlöst.png

Message 11 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

I would move the satellite a bit farther away. Try 30 feet if you can. 25 is a bit too close. 

What iOS is the iPhone using? Possible this maybe the cause or happen that this iphone is not working correctly with the Orbi system.

You can try this for Apple:

After enabling Daisy Chain if nothing changes, try this:

Advanced Wireless Settings both 2.4GHz and 5GHz changed CTS/RTS Threshold to 2307.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR40-RBS40-V2-1-4-16-mesh-network-drops-connection-to/m-...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Have-to-keep-rebooting-my-RBR50/m-p/1658603/highlight/false#M4...
Change the CTR/RTS threshold values for both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz (2341 and 2345 respectively), changed preamble modes to long preamble, and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only.

Message 12 of 19
Nailem
Aspirant

Update: I enabled Daisy chain and things seemed stable so I plugged my Arlo back in and so far still stable. So possible the Daisy chain thing worked.
Do you think it is a good idea that I still set a static IP address for the satellite? If so do I just use 100.2 or do I need to make it outside the DHCP range?
Message 13 of 19
ekhalil
Master

@Nailem wrote:
Update: I enabled Daisy chain and things seemed stable so I plugged my Arlo back in and so far still stable. So possible the Daisy chain thing worked.
Do you think it is a good idea that I still set a static IP address for the satellite? If so do I just use 100.2 or do I need to make it outside the DHCP range?

Great. I hope it will stay stable.

I think it's better to make IP address reservation for the Satellite. Choose an IP address within your DHCP range 

Message 14 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Keep us posted on how the Daisy Chain method works for you. 

Remember, Setting a RESERVED IP address is done on the router and with in the IP address pool range of the router. STATIC IP addresses are set ON devices OUTSIDE of the IP address pool. Since NG defaults there pool size to largest possible, you can't use Static IP addresses unless you change the size of the NG default pool size. Smiley Wink I use .100 thru .200. Gives me room for static IP devices on either side. 

@Nailem wrote:

Message 15 of 19
Nailem
Aspirant

Thank you for the correction. I will set a reserved IP.
Message 16 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it works out for you. 

@Nailem wrote:
Thank you for the correction. I will set a reserved IP.

Message 17 of 19
Nailem
Aspirant

Update. Things have been much more stable but I still get a drop every now and then.
I did go through and reserve IP for all my Fire Sticks and the satellite.
I do have my Arlo plugged into the satellite and I have not moved them further apart but I do think I need to. I just need to find a place for the satellite and Arlo that is out of sight.
Message 18 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, sounds like it's working better. I would try moving satelites. If there still experiencing drop outs, possible they are a bit too close. 

Try manual channels as well. 

Thanks for posting back and letting us know. 

@Nailem wrote:
Update. Things have been much more stable but I still get a drop every now and then.
I did go through and reserve IP for all my Fire Sticks and the satellite.
I do have my Arlo plugged into the satellite and I have not moved them further apart but I do think I need to. I just need to find a place for the satellite and Arlo that is out of sight.

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7