Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Anyone order an additional Orbi Satellite ???

schpeen
Tutor

Anyone order an additional Orbi Satellite ???

Has anyone else ordered an additonal Orbi Satelite for their Orbi system?? I have a big home so I just ordered an additonal satelite I am anxious to see how it will perform with 2 Satelites. Anyone have more than 1?? Interested in detials. Thanks. 

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 15

hi,

so i assume you have got the orbi system already and have tested out with the router and sat ? and assume it still doesnt cover everything 

you will need to ensure the router part of the orbi can be situated between the first and second sat as at this stage the orbi system runs in star topology and thus both sats connect back to the router only 

so you have it setup like 

sat ------  orbi router --------sat 

with the internet connection at the router 

wont work if you have say 

router ----------- sat -------------- sat 

as the second satstill needs to connect back to the orbi router at this stage ( may change if the orbi gets mesh )

also i have a 4,000 square home and the single orbi router and sat cover it with ease , how big is your place / or are we talking multi story 

pete

Message 2 of 15
schpeen
Tutor

Hi Pete...I am fimilar with how it needs to be setup and how it works. Yes...I currently have one. I was just curious if anyone had tested with 2 satilites. My house is about 3,900 sqare feet but its multi level. So my plan is main Orbi Router on main floor and satilite upstairs. But I also have a huge finshed basement as well that is not in the above square footage, 3 car garage and huge patio area so my plan is to put other Orbi satilite in that area. I currently get coverage there now with my current Orbi setup but its not perfect............one more should do the trick and no matter were I go I will have awesome speeds and coverage. According to Netgear as long as the satilite can reach the main Orbi Router it will work. 

Message 3 of 15
schpeen
Tutor

I was just more curious how the Orbi system performed with 2 satilites....I guess thats my real question. 

Message 4 of 15
schpeen
Tutor

Also I just want to make a note on this thread. I have tried and purhcased over 8 Routers....including extenders, etc. Nothing even came close to how the Orbi is performing for me. It has definatley exceeeded my expectations. I have amazing speeds and coverage in areas I always had a hard time with. I am very impressed and I would definatley recommend. Below is a great write up on the Orbi and how it performed against similar prodcuts....very impressive. I acutally was going to purhcase the Amplifi HD to try but based on these results the Orbi smoked it!!!!!

Click here ------------>>  http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/33022-mesh-mashup-redux-netgear-s-orbi-chec...

Message 5 of 15

@schpeen wrote:

I was just more curious how the Orbi system performed with 2 satilites....I guess thats my real question. 

if you can place the orbi router in the middle of the 2 sat's then you could expect as good a signal coverage in ether direction , however you would need a house 6000 square foot plus to ensure the devices where seperated enough to avoid over saturation of the wifi , oversaturation would cause issues with clients not moving between transmissions because of the way the orbi works

it is wise to test the single orbi and sat first to determine if you need a second one or if there is still part of the house that doesnt get wifi as $250 is a lot for a second sat that may not achieve a lot or would perhaps create more issues than it solves 

Message 6 of 15
schpeen
Tutor

Per my message above I already have an Orbi system.........and its not doing the trick for me. I guess my home being 3 levels....its not working with current setup. Yes...the wifi reaches but the signal and speeds arent that good in that area. Also keep in mind these are Netgears numbers......Ubiquinti Amplifi says it can cover 20k square feet.........i find that hard to believe. This is tough question to answer since everyones setup and homes are diffferent. If it dosent work I send it back....thats the great thing about retail...lol. 

Message 7 of 15

in your case being a 3 story home you would need to have the orbi router on the middle floor and the sat on the first and third floor , it would also depend on construction materials and local enviornmental conditions wifi wise 

yes the claims the amplifi make are nothing but advertising blurb 

Message 8 of 15
Dima1007
Aspirant

What about this for 3 floors house: router on the ground floor - sat on the ground floor about 25 - 30 feet away to cover opposite corner and back yard - router set as AP on the third floor? And possibly Sat on the second floor somewhere where the signal won't be good enough?

Message 9 of 15

hi

the jump through 2 floors would effect the 5 gig backhaul to the point it may not connect at all

you prob could put it on the second floor and hope its wifi reaches the third

Message 10 of 15
Dima1007
Aspirant

I forgot to mention router as AP on the third floor is wired

Message 11 of 15
NETthisGEAR
Apprentice

Hey Schpeen,

NETGEAR says that you can use 3 satellites with the base station. If you have a disposal income and a lot more space that needs WiFi then definitely get more.

You can order add-on satallites here

I wanted to let you know that I was reading that other people have used more with great success! So if like I said if you have disposabal income and need more satelltes I would try 4, maybe even 5. Do what you are comfortable with, just saying I have heard success stories with more than 3.

cheers

Message 12 of 15
rhester72
Virtuoso

Holy cow - the satellite is more expensive than the router?

Rodney

Message 13 of 15
schpeen
Tutor

Yeah it's crazy expensive !!best deal I have seen so far is Costco has 3 pack for $399
Message 14 of 15
schpeen
Tutor

Sorry I meant $499 for 3 pack

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7