Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Anyone using RBK50 with G.fast (UK)?

Jonnym
Star

Anyone using RBK50 with G.fast (UK)?

Hi everyone,

I'm waiting for Openreach to come out and upgrade my home broadband to G.fast. Openreach will install a new modem (googling around, a locked-down Huawei MT992 most likely), replacing my trusty Draytek Vigor 130 modem. 

Does anyone have any experience in using G.fast with the RBK50? Are there any settings I should change (I'm assuming not, as as far as the RBR50 router is concerned the only change is the increased DSL bandwidth, hopefully!)?

Or would a clean install (RBR50 reset and add the satellite again) be advisable?

Grateful if anyone has any experience to share.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
timch
Luminary

Re: Anyone using RBK50 with G.fast (UK)?

Yes, I was using RBK50 with the modem on BT. I had no problems, it all worked fine. I am however now using my Orbi in AP mode with the BT Smarthub 2 Router to enable my BT TV box to work.
Message 2 of 5
schumaku
Guru

Don't know much (or anything) about Openreach, one would assume that the configuration data for terminating the xDSL encapsulation (PPPoE) remains the same, so under the premise that the old and new modem are both configured as modem (and not as router) things should work straight away. 

Message 3 of 5
cameron1975me
Aspirant

I have this exact setup. All working perfectly.

I got rid of my BT premium whole home WiFi discs, which were a total nightmare and switched to this setup. Only had to input the PPPoE settings which I'm sure you know about already.

bthomehub@btbroadband.com as the username.

bt as the password.

Message 4 of 5
Jonnym
Star

Thanks so much for the replies everyone. Should be plain sailing. I'll update once the G.fast installation has taken place.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7