Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Attached Devices - model, name, type

DaVincee
Tutor

Attached Devices - model, name, type

Hi community.

I have had my Orbi for 2 months and I'm quite happy with the switch from the German box. I have 56 devices attached to the mesh across two Orbis with another satellite in the planning (once I can find one that doesn't bankrupt me!). I'd like to list some quirks that I have experienced setting up devices, in the hope that either Netgear will take them on board as improvements or for me to find out if I missed a feature or did something stupid (not entirely impossible...).

Listing of Devices

I consult the list of attached devices under Advanced - Admin - Attached Devs

• What I find quite annoying is that you can't order the devices in any way (e.g. Device Name, IP, MAC, etc.). When I am looking for a device in my long list, I keep on scrolling until I find it. As the list is dynamic, device that disconnect or connect might make this even more complicated.
  • Disconnected devices are not listed. I am used to browsing through the device list every now and then to check if any "rogue" devices were connected and then disconnected. I know there are alerts available when devices connect. I'd like to use the disconnected device list as well for devices that I want to rename or manage, but which only connect once in while (e.g. sensors).

It would be nice if the column heading can be clicked to sort the list.

It would also be nice if there is a list of previously connected devices that are not connected at the moment.

Address Reservation

I like to organise my devices for easier management to I like to assign fixed IPs (Advanced - Setup - Lan Setup). As per the same above, the list of assigned addresses cannot be sorted. Entries are saved in the order of creation which means that it's not possible to see IP ranges (e.g. all door sensors under 192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.109, etc.). It should be something simple... Even better would be if the IP reservation could be created under "Attached Devices" like my previous experiences.

It would be nice if at least the list can be sorted.

Naming of Devices

Back to the "Attached Devices" and probably my biggest annoyance: naming of devices. There is the option to name the devices (pretty standard) but also to provide a Device Model (I use brand of the device and type). Third selection is the device type (great visuals). But...

• The behaviour of the renaming is erratic: all fields for device name can be changed without issue. Some devices can have the device model changed and some devices can have the type changed. Some devices are automatically recognised as certain devices - most of the time incorrect - and then can no longer be changed. This is confusing and annoying, especially since I'm intending to use at least the device model information. It seems that the recognition is linked to the MAC address but I have two ipads with the same first 6 digits in the MAC address that are both recognised differently (one as iPad but I can't change the device model, the other as Macbook and can change the device model but not the device type).

It would be great if this can be fixed...

In addition it would be nice to see more device types listed in the age of iOT (lights, sockets, LED strips, household devices, etc.) even if it is just a device group. What also could be an option is to provide a simple coloured circle to indentify a group of devices.

So far my confusion and frustration with a device that DOES have great performance and reliability!

I am running firmware V2.3.5.30 in January 2020 and I did read other threads out here, although they seem a bit more dates.

Thanks for any comments. Cheers, Vince

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

Re: Attached Devices - model, name, type

Search for "v2.5.1.8" on this forum and you will see lots of feedback on it.  The v2.3.5.30 you have is a stable release, v2.5.0.x was released and then removed by NG due to numerous bugs, and v2.5.1.8 fixed those bugs.  NG also remove autoupdating of firmware because their push of v2.5.0.x to systems caused major issues to users.  I am quite happy with v2.5.1.8, but if you are using the iOS application to manage the router, then I do not recommend v2.5.1.8 since many iOS users have reported issues with it's device interface.  The Web UI and the Android app device management with v2.5.1.8 is fine.

I suggest backing up your settings while under v2.3.5.30 before upgrading to v2.5.1.8.  That way if you need to revert for any reason, you will have a good backup of your settings.

Good Luck!

@DaVincee wrote:

For some reason the web interface of firmware V2.3.5.30 does not show an update is available. So here goes for installation of V2.5.1.8. Does anyone have any feedback on that version before I install? Cheers.

View solution in original post

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 3 of 7

All Replies
DaVincee
Tutor

For some reason the web interface of firmware V2.3.5.30 does not show an update is available. So here goes for installation of V2.5.1.8. Does anyone have any feedback on that version before I install? Cheers.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 2 of 7
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

Search for "v2.5.1.8" on this forum and you will see lots of feedback on it.  The v2.3.5.30 you have is a stable release, v2.5.0.x was released and then removed by NG due to numerous bugs, and v2.5.1.8 fixed those bugs.  NG also remove autoupdating of firmware because their push of v2.5.0.x to systems caused major issues to users.  I am quite happy with v2.5.1.8, but if you are using the iOS application to manage the router, then I do not recommend v2.5.1.8 since many iOS users have reported issues with it's device interface.  The Web UI and the Android app device management with v2.5.1.8 is fine.

I suggest backing up your settings while under v2.3.5.30 before upgrading to v2.5.1.8.  That way if you need to revert for any reason, you will have a good backup of your settings.

Good Luck!

@DaVincee wrote:

Message 3 of 7
DaVincee
Tutor

Thanks for the feedback Tom. I just upgraded both devices to 2.5.1.8 and am quite happy with the results. At least devices can be renamed, which makes everything a bit more organised. Still a few quirks sorting the lists (it can be done in access control, but not in other screens). Also the new icons make a lot more sense. I'll have a test on the weekend, re. speeds and iOS interface. From a quick look I learned that icons that are available in the Web GUI do not exist (yet) in the app... weird.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 4 of 7
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

The enhancements that you listed I also agree with.  I suggest putting these on the forum page at https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/idb-p/idea-exchange-for-home

Some of your suggestions are already on the above URL, so you can just add your "vote" too them in hopes that eventually NG will add some of these enhancements that many of us are already used to having on competitors routers.

Message 5 of 7
SueBane
Aspirant

I am curious how accurate the "device type" information is.  I have an "Apple" device that shows up as a phone.  I don't know what this device really is as my two Apple iPhones are also listed as attached devices with the own IP and MAC address.  

Any thoughts on if the device type is accurate?  Can't identify this device.  

Message 6 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

When Apple introduced randomized MAC addresses for WiFi connections and made it the default, devices often connect to Orbi systems with "made up" MAC addresses that the software interprets as being "Apple". It is confusing for customers who do not recognize this imaginary MAC address.  The resolution is to turn off this feature.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7