Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Audio cuts for a split second

pauld765
Guide

Audio cuts for a split second

My audio cuts for a split second every so often. each device varies but it usually when i’m streaming audio. It can be on any type of devices, computer, tv, ipad, etc
Model: RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

@pauld765 wrote:

If I understand this correctly having my Orbi setup in AP mode will basically be extending my ATT network? So I have to have all my devices connected to the ATT network. ----No. it just leaves the ATT device managing the routing features like QoS, NAT, DHCP, etc. You can disable its wifi and rely on the orbi for wifi. 

Also turning off the ATT wifi did help some, but not fully. My house is its 2700 sq ft with plaster walls. Is it possible the Orbi satellites can be interfering with each other too?----No, the whole purpose of the satellites is to connect to each other. I have occaisionally seen issues when there's to many satellites but its a bit rare of an occurence. I didn't see it at my place until I was runnig 3x satellites including my router. And that was on 3200 sqft.  My computer improve a lot, but my TV still has this split second audio pause and gives off a quick little spike sound. 

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 15

All Replies
plemans
Guru

You didn't really give us much to go off here. 

Your audio cuts out occassionally. 

On what devices? ( i get all devices but how are they being used)

wired? 

Wireless? if wireless 2.4ghz or  5ghz?

Using what app?

what modem/gateway do you have? 

What router do you have? 

firmware on them?

How often does it happen? 

how big is the home? 

What materials is your home made off? 

Does it matter how far from the router or where you're att?

we need full details to help. Its tough to help with minimal info. 

Message 2 of 15
pauld765
Guide

I am running ATT Fiber Arris BGW210-700 hardwired to Orbi Netgear RBK50 (with two satellites). Everything is updated and all firmware is updated to the latest release. I stream everything, so all my devices are wireless and I have a strong full bar signal throughout my house. My speed test is always above 300 mbps.  My obri doesn't have the option to pick between 2.4 or 5ghz, I believe my devices see it as one. When I am streaming I am using FireTV, Google TV, Netflix, Disney, HBO, YouTube, Prime, or AppleTV; doesn't matter what they all give me the same issue. My PC computer or ipad will have the audio sync off by a good one second and my Sony TV or Samsung TV will just do a split second pause or the audio it will be off very slightly. 

Message 3 of 15
plemans
Guru

Do you have your arris properly setup in passthrough/modem only mode? 

Or your orbi in access point mode? 

otherwise you're in a double nat and it can cause issues. 

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

Message 4 of 15
pauld765
Guide

Do you know what I should have in all these fields? Or what do you recommend?

attached is a screenshot

Capture.JPG

Message 5 of 15
plemans
Guru

You'd have to ask att what the best setting is for that device. 

there are reddit's that go over it. 

How To: Properly Configure The Arris BGW-210 For "Bridge Mode" (Walkthrough) : Ubiquiti (reddit.com)

Message 6 of 15
pauld765
Guide

AT&T is concerned doing the pass through as it makes my network vulnerable to malware. Should this be a concern? Would i be just as safe if I purchase orbi security?
Message 7 of 15
plemans
Guru

You can try the orbi in access point mode. that leaves the att router running as primary. 

You can either disable its wireless or leave it on and make sure its on a different channel from the orbi. 

Message 8 of 15
pauld765
Guide

If I understand this correctly having my Orbi setup in AP mode will basically be extending my ATT network? So I have to have all my devices connected to the ATT network. 

Also turning off the ATT wifi did help some, but not fully. My house is its 2700 sq ft with plaster walls. Is it possible the Orbi satellites can be interfering with each other too? My computer improve a lot, but my TV still has this split second audio pause and gives off a quick little spike sound. 

Message 9 of 15
plemans
Guru

@pauld765 wrote:

If I understand this correctly having my Orbi setup in AP mode will basically be extending my ATT network? So I have to have all my devices connected to the ATT network. ----No. it just leaves the ATT device managing the routing features like QoS, NAT, DHCP, etc. You can disable its wifi and rely on the orbi for wifi. 

Also turning off the ATT wifi did help some, but not fully. My house is its 2700 sq ft with plaster walls. Is it possible the Orbi satellites can be interfering with each other too?----No, the whole purpose of the satellites is to connect to each other. I have occaisionally seen issues when there's to many satellites but its a bit rare of an occurence. I didn't see it at my place until I was runnig 3x satellites including my router. And that was on 3200 sqft.  My computer improve a lot, but my TV still has this split second audio pause and gives off a quick little spike sound. 

Message 10 of 15
plemans
Guru

I take it it worked since you marked it solved?

Message 11 of 15
pauld765
Guide

well sort of. Still trying to find out why my Sony TV has issues. I been told by Sony users I should just hardwire it. But I do want to try and find the best channel for my Orbi. Any recommendations of which iOS app I should use to find the best channel in my house?

Message 12 of 15
plemans
Guru

What issues is the sony having? 

What tv is it? 

how far from a router/satellite is it? 

Message 13 of 15
pauld765
Guide

its a sony 75x900h the router is in the next room. 

When watching anything movie/tv shows via fireTV or sony native apps, there is a quick split second pause of audio. The audio sync is good but it does this annyoing pause about every five minutes. I've tried all the output audio settings per the forums and nothing works. 

Message 14 of 15
plemans
Guru

Solid tv. I have the same model but in 65 inch. 

I've ran it hardwired and wireless. 

A couple questions. 

1. I wouldn't use the fire tv. Get it working properly first on the tv's built in apps. then worry about the fire tv

2. are you using a reciever/soundbar?

3. If so, how is it connected to the tv? 

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7