Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Automatic email when new firmware is released?

Daniel-UK
Apprentice

Automatic email when new firmware is released?

How can I get an automatic email sent when ANY new firmware for my Orbi is released?

The iPhone app or the web interface only show major firmware updates and while they show "No new firmware version available" from Orbi RBK53 | WiFi System | NETGEAR Support I can see that there is a newer version V2.7.1.60.

This is the ONLY email that I would like to receive from Netgear but I can't see how to subscribe to it!

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Do you have a profile set up here? 

https://www.netgear.com/support/#

v2.7 versions are for USA region only so anyone outside of this region would not be getting notifications regarding it. 

Contact a forum moderator for help with email notifications. 

Message 2 of 12
Daniel-UK
Apprentice

Is it possible to get automated email notifications when a new firmware is released? 

Please answer either

• YES and step-by-step instructions on HOW to get them
  • NO, it is not possible.. you have to manually check on the netgear website

Thanks in advance

Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Contact a forum moderator to help you out.

@Blanca_O 

Message 4 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

@Daniel-UK wrote:

How can I get an automatic email sent when ANY new firmware for my Orbi is released?

This is the ONLY email that I would like to receive from Netgear but I can't see how to subscribe to it!

In the past, I would occasionally see a post mentioning "I got an email from Netgear about new firmware..." and would wonder, "why is this guy getting an email and I did not?"   Do not recall seeing one of these posts in at least a year.  In my case, I have NEVER received email announcing firmware updates for any of the Netgear products I registered.

My conclusion is the answer is, "No.  There is no method to sign up to learn about firmware releases and only firmware releases."

Fortunately, as long as the Orbi is functioning correctly, there is no urgency about updating firmware.  This is not a PC where hackers are discovering serious new vulnerabilities daily. 

Message 5 of 12
vajim
Master

NG pushes FW updates to you when your system needs them.  Relax

Message 6 of 12
Daniel-UK
Apprentice

@CrimpOn  thanks for your useful answer. So far I reached the same conclusion that the most useful email notification is not available! 

@FURRYe38 sorry but your answer is not clear. Are you saying that you don't know if the answer is YES or NO but @Blanca_O can help answering it?

@vajim unfortunately NG does not pushes all the updates but only the minor ones. The last 2 updates both contain security fixes and were not pushed. So there isn't much to relax.. or to rely on NG doing the right thing..

Message 7 of 12
vajim
Master

@vajim unfortunately NG does not pushes all the updates but only the minor ones. The last 2 updates both contain security fixes and were not pushed. So there isn't much to relax.. or to rely on NG doing the right thing..

That's not what they told me. 

I don't do manual updates and my network has been fine for over a year.  If you do a search in here you'll see where folks that download the latest and greatest FW when it first comes out end up reverting back because it was not ready for release.

You sound like you need the assurance of a newly released to make you feel good.  That's fine for it's your network and you can do as you please.

Good luck

Message 8 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

@Daniel-UK wrote:

@FURRYe38 sorry but your answer is not clear. Are you saying that you don't know if the answer is YES or NO but @Blanca_O can help answering it?

Correct. Hope she can help you out. 

Message 9 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

@vajim wrote:

This is an example of how Netgear simply does not provide useful information to customers.  "Security fixes" could be anything. (Important? Trivial? External threat? Internal threat?) Contrast that with how Microsoft categorizes security vulnerability fixes or with the very detailed "change logs" provided by packages like Wireshark, Pi-hole, Belana Etcher, etc. etc.

I have serious doubts that Netgear will ever "push" firmware to Orbi's again.  Constant nagging (both web and "app") seems to be the future.  And, I agree with @vajim that every time new firmware comes out, the forum fills up with posts about things breaking and the solution being to "roll back."

Message 10 of 12
Daniel-UK
Apprentice

@CrimpOn your answer was VERY useful!

Do you know how to setup the Netgear router to intercept all DNS requests and route them to OpenDNN?

Many thanks

Message 11 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

@Daniel-UK wrote:

@CrimpOn your answer was VERY useful!

Do you know how to setup the Netgear router to intercept all DNS requests and route them to OpenDNS?

On the Orbi web interface, the Internet Setup menu item, there is a section where you can choose:

• Get DNS server IP's automatically from the ISP, or
  • Use these DNS servers, where you enter the IP's of two DNS servers.

If this option is greyed out,, it usually means the Orbi has Parental Controls enabled, and they have to be disabled to make the option available again.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7