Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Backhaul quality is horrible

CedricJR
Guide

Backhaul quality is horrible

I bought a RBR50 router (configured in AP mode) and 3x RBS50 satellites. To diagnose the problem I switched off all satellites, except one. The problem is that a neighbour is using the exact channel used by the backhaul for his 5 GHz network... and as a result the quality of the backhaul is really poor, the IP TV Box (wired on the RBS50) isn't working at all: squares, buffering issues and image stalled on a regular basis (usually less than 30 seconds).

The RBS50 is arround 5 meters in direct line of sight of the RBR50 in the same room, but my neighbour signal according to a WiFi Analyzer is quite strong too. Using a temporary ethernet cable to cross the room and connect the RBR50 and the RBS50 together solves the quality problem. 

RBR50 and RBS50 are both with latest firmware version 2.1.2.18. I already tried :

- enabling / disabling daisy-chaining topology

- erasing the NVRAM with the telnet / command line, rebooting, resetting to default factory settings and starting again from the configuration from scratch

Is there an option / command line to move from the backhaul channel from the 80 MHz (channels 100-114) to the next 80 MHz (channels 114-128) ?

Message 1 of 22

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Try the beta. 

Theres no CLI support. 

@Vontech615wrote:
I'm on FW 2.1.2.18. Just curious, why Cat6? I have Cat 5e which should be more than sufficient. I have a wireless backhaul, not wired. I'd mainly like to know if there is a way to make more advanced changes via a CLI?

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 22

All Replies
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

I have sent you a PM

DarrenM

Message 2 of 22
Vontech615
Aspirant

I'm in a similar situation. Are there command line tools available for the Orbri RBR50?
Message 3 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW version are you using? 

What CAT# cable are you using? CAT6 cabling is recommended. 

Is the Satellite directly connected to the router with cabling or is there a network switch in between? 

@Vontech615wrote:
I'm in a similar situation. Are there command line tools available for the Orbri RBR50?

Message 4 of 22
Vontech615
Aspirant

I'm on FW 2.1.2.18. Just curious, why Cat6? I have Cat 5e which should be more than sufficient. I have a wireless backhaul, not wired. I'd mainly like to know if there is a way to make more advanced changes via a CLI?
Message 5 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Try the beta. 

Theres no CLI support. 

@Vontech615wrote:

Message 6 of 22
CedricJR
Guide

I wasn't able to find a good solution and I didn't contacted the Moderator because "private" solutions aren't solutions. As soon as the cable is removed (and the WiFi backhaul is there) the problems on the IPTV are comming back. The stability of the link between the RBR50 and RBS50 ia a real problem..

Actually I removed all the RBS50 satellites and the replaced the last one with a gigabit ethernet switch and still a "temporary" cable crossing my living room. So actually the RBR50 is a luxury access point with an integrated switch. Much worse than my previous Ubitquiti UAP-AC-PRO. I'm seriously considering to remove those Netgear Orbi devices, because they aren't providing the network quality I'm expecting.

Needless to say that the Ubquiti devices are much more configurable than the Netgear Orbi and they were working for months like a charm. Netgear has probably lost more than a customer here due to the lack of open support and advanced configuration. I'll probably give a try to the Ubiquiti mesh network instead.

Message 7 of 22
Vontech615
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply.  Yeah, I'm kind of in the same boat as you.  I don't like the lack of control with the Orbi, which I somewhat knew before I bought them but didn't realize just how limited it would be.  I'm thinking about selling them and going with Ubiquiti.  I went the lazy route with the Mesh system because I didn't want to tear into walls, ceilings and run cabling but I think it's the best bet in the long run. 

Message 8 of 22
tsig
Luminary

5 meters away?  Why do you even need the satellite?  Wondering if you are getting interference from them being to close together...

Message 9 of 22
AC641
Luminary

I can't help with configuring the wireless backhaul.  However, have you considered using Powerline Adapters to give yourself a permanent wired backhaul?  This is how I have mine and it works perfectly.  If you do buy Powerline Adapters get the pass-through type i.e. with a built-in plug socket as they're far better at filtering mains noise.

Message 10 of 22
Vontech615
Aspirant

Yes, I have it roughly 5 meters away.  Honestly, my issues aren't all that pronounced and the Mesh system works well for most things.  I'm more or less a little dissapointed in the proprietary nature of it over all.  Which, I get they are trying to sell a product to the average consumer, no prosumer.  So I'm not upset with the product, just wish it had more advanced feature set for the prosumer crowd.  I feel for $330 there should be more under the hood.  That's a hefty price tag.  

Message 11 of 22
Vontech615
Aspirant

I haven't tried the Powerline adapters for this use case, but that is certainly on my radar and I've used them before, but it's been a while.  Have the powerline adapters improved in regards to network bandwidth?   I don't expect a gig pline adptr to supply a gig, but 300-400 mpbs would be nice.  Do you have any recommendations on brand/model?

Thanks!

Message 12 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you load the new Beta FW on your system?

I have ethernet backhaul set up here and it's working just fine. Two non managed switches in between my router and Satellite. Only have need for 1. 5000sq ft home with 40 feet between Satellite and Router.

I have a 5Ghz NG wireless bridge connected to the Satellite thats services a DISH Joey that streams video from the main Hopper. No issues seen

What expectations are you looking for out of your system?

@CedricJRwrote:

I bought a RBR50 router (configured in AP mode) and 3x RBS50 satellites. To diagnose the problem I switched off all satellites, except one. The problem is that a neighbour is using the exact channel used by the backhaul for his 5 GHz network... and as a result the quality of the backhaul is really poor, the IP TV Box (wired on the RBS50) isn't working at all: squares, buffering issues and image stalled on a regular basis (usually less than 30 seconds).

The RBS50 is arround 5 meters in direct line of sight of the RBR50 in the same room, but my neighbour signal according to a WiFi Analyzer is quite strong too. Using a temporary ethernet cable to cross the room and connect the RBR50 and the RBS50 together solves the quality problem. 

RBR50 and RBS50 are both with latest firmware version 2.1.2.18. I already tried :

- enabling / disabling daisy-chaining topology

- erasing the NVRAM with the telnet / command line, rebooting, resetting to default factory settings and starting again from the configuration from scratch

Is there an option / command line to move from the backhaul channel from the 80 MHz (channels 100-114) to the next 80 MHz (channels 114-128) ?

Message 13 of 22
CedricJR
Guide

Hi there,

Most of my network is wired (Cat 6 GbE), except for a small part of it.

I owned the Devolo Powerline 1200+, they are quite good. Low latency and the real bandwidth is around 100 - 200 Mb/s even with really old electrical installation (300 - 400 Mb/s in ideal conditions on a short distance, but don't expect much more from a "1200" CPL plug). But with them comes the constraint to have the plug directly on the wall outlet in order to obtain the best performances, and their plug is massive and quite ugly. Sadly I gave my Devolo plugs to a friend when I bought those Orbi, but in my experience they were performing better than the Orbi in order to connect the two wired networks together.

Goal with the Orbi was to extend beyond that with satellites providing both wireless and cabled network in each location and reduce the number of devices, but my experience with the Orbi is really bad. I think I'll try to resell the Orbi and go back to the Ubiquiti devices for the Wifi part. I'll probably add a WiFi bridge in order to connect the second network to an AP on the first one.

Message 14 of 22
CedricJR
Guide

@FURRYe38wrote:

Not yet. I'll give a try. Where can I find those beta firmware ?

On the download pages I don't see beta firmwares : 
https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBR50.aspx#download

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBS50.aspx#download

Note : I don't understand the numbering either, why is the current version 2.0.1.4 which is lower than the 2.1.2.18 which I'm running...

Message 15 of 22
CedricJR
Guide

@CedricJRwrote:

@FURRYe38wrote:

OK just two clicks away on this forum : https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-MR-2-1-Update-3-23-18/td-p/1533584/jump-to/first-unread-m... 😉

Message 16 of 22
AC641
Luminary

I haven't tried the Powerline adapters for this use case, but that is certainly on my radar and I've used them before, but it's been a while.  Have the powerline adapters improved in regards to network bandwidth?   I don't expect a gig pline adptr to supply a gig, but 300-400 mpbs would be nice.  Do you have any recommendations on brand/model?

Thanks!

I'm using the Devolo dLAN 1200 devices and get a throughput of between 260 and 340Mbps.  They have been 100% reliable and are what I use for the wired backhaul.

Message 17 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Give it a try. Keep us posted...

@CedricJRwrote:

@CedricJRwrote:

@FURRYe38wrote:

OK just two clicks away on this forum : https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-MR-2-1-Update-3-23-18/td-p/1533584/jump-to/first-unread-m... 😉

Message 18 of 22
CedricJR
Guide

I flashed the router and the 3 satellites to the 2.1.3.4. Then I connected the IPTV to 1 satellite and switched off the 2 others.

The backhaul is still on the same 5 GHz frequencies.

The good news is that the IPTV is running since half an hour without a glitch. I'll give this firmware a run for around a week. Then I'll switch on the second satellite, wait a little and then the third one. I'll update this post.

BETA MR 2.1.3 software can be found here:  

RBR50 : http://files.netgear-support.com/go/?a=d&i=o3UGoktK40   

RBS50: http://files.netgear-support.com/go/?a=d&i=B57FDA46OO

Message 19 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you go it working. Should work better than older FW.

Let us know if you see other issues. 

Message 20 of 22
CedricJR
Guide

Hi,

Feedback after a few days :

- the beta firmware solved the backhaul issue with the IPTV, I watched TV instead of playing video games (erk !)

- I put back in place all the other satellites and enabled the daisy chaining topology. No issues.

Actually everything seems to work as intended.

Message 21 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Awesome. Glad it's working well for you. Sounds like your not seeing any issues that others are when using network switches then. However your using power line devices so probabaly wont see this issue.

Enjoy now. Smiley Wink

Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7