Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Backhaul status poor on 5G connection

struan99
Tutor

Backhaul status poor on 5G connection

I have an Orbi satelite on a wireless connection which gets strong wifi speeds (approx 200 Mbps, and Backhaul Status shows as "Good") when the satelite connects to the router over 5G. But when the connection is 2.4G, Backhaul Status shows as "Poor" and speeds drop to around 15 Mbps. I don't know for sure if the cause of these differences is the connection type (2.4 v 5G), but nor can I figure out how to keep the connection on 5G. Sometimes the speed just drops for no apparent reason, which I think is caused by the Orbi flipping to 2.4G, though I can't be sure. I'm on firmware V2.5.2.4. I have one other satelite, on a wired connection, which is far more stable.

Can anyone help? The only other thing I can think of is to bring the satelite closer to the router - though that isn't straightforward in my house. 

Thanks,
Struan

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: Backhaul status poor on 5G connection

2.4ghz broadcasts further and through more materials than 5ghz. But its much slower. The Orbi doesn't drop back to using the 2.4ghz as backhaul unless there's issues with the 5ghz. Distance or home materials could be an issue.

how big is your home? 

What are the interior walls made of? (certain materials block wifi)

how many levels? 

how far is the router from the problem satellite? 

Message 2 of 4
struan99
Tutor

Thanks. The home is 1800 sq ft. The problematic satelite is one floor up from the router, and approximately 30 feet away. In between there is a brick wall, and some wood. I could run cables on the floor above to have the satelite closer to (i.e. directly above) the router (but further from the computer that relies on it). I just wanted to establish if that was likely to be necessary. What throws me is that when I do have a 5ghz connection established, the speed is excellent. 

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

the brick is probably your issue. Its one of the top blockers of wifi signal. 

and 5ghz isn't as good at penetrating materials as 2.4ghz. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7