Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Best Orbi for my situation

Scheak80
Aspirant

Best Orbi for my situation

Hello, 

I live in a 1400sf square condo and I have 1gbs internet. I'm looking into the Orbi and I need some helo figuring out what would be the best for my situaton? Netgear reccomened this: https://www.netgear.com/orbi/rbk22.aspx and I think that is pretty doable, but I'm not sure if there is something better for me speed. 

Any help would be great! 

Thanks! 

Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Best Orbi for my situation

Distance between the router and satellite(s) is 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

https://www.netgear.com/orbi/wifi-systems.aspx

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many? Having many wifi nighbors near by can be problematic and be a congestion for wifi. 

Wired LAN speeds will only see about 900Mb +- while wifi maxes out at 400-500Mb +- dependning upong wireless device design and support. 

What devices do you currently have? Wired and wireless? 

What kind of operations do you do with the internet? Streaming, surfing, gaming, etc...

Message 2 of 8
Scheak80
Aspirant

I live in a condo, so we have a ton of wifi neighbors (probably more than 10). I currently have a eero that I rent from my ISP, and it's not so bad, but I want something better and Orbi was recommended by everyone. 

Currently, I have a PS4 connected to the modem and everything after is wifi: 

2 phones

2 laptops 

1 desktop 

1 tv

1 security system 

1 thermostat 

I'm a video editor who works from home a lot, so I'm transferring gigs and gigs of files at any given time. We also stream, game, surf and all that fun stuff. Right now the modem and router are in my living room and my office is at the opposite end of the space connect to wifi. I have a eero satellite between the two. In the near future, once we get this Orbi figured out, I'm going to move the modem/router into my office so I can connect my desktop via LAN and then have the living room work off of WIFI. It just needs to be strong enough to game and stream. 

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the router is connected too?

Well sounds like you do alot then, you may need a 50 series. The only realy difference between the 20 and 50 is the wireless backhaul of the 50 series at 1700Mb while the 20/40 series are set at 866Mb. Front haul wireless is the same, 866Mb. 

When xfering gigs are you using wireless or wired connections for this? Wired is perferred. 

Message 4 of 8
Scheak80
Aspirant

I'm not at home so I don't have access to the ISP modem, but it's made for my internet speed. 

I'm tranferring via wifi becasue I do not have my modem hooked up in my office. That will change once I get the wifi situation sorted. Do you think I would need the 50 series in that situation? I would just need the wifi for everthing I previously listed except for my desktop which uses most of the bandwidth when I use it. 

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Well if the Pc is only thing doing lots of stuff and the other devices are just normal daily operations, the 20 series maybe a good start. 

Sounds like your modem has a built in router already, if so, This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Couple of options to consider,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop 

Message 6 of 8
Scheak80
Aspirant

The modem does not have wifi built in. The router is acutally an eero mesh system. However, to save money in the long run I am going to eventually get a modem along with the Orbi. Any suggestions on that would be appreciated, too. 

Do you think the 20 series can handle gaming and streaming? 

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Just checking.

NGs CM 1000/1100 or Arris SB 6183 or SB8200 or Motorola MB 7420 or 8600

I don't recommend and advise users from getting a modem thats Intel chip set based. The modems mentione above are Broadcom based. 

I have had a 20 series orbi system and it worked well for me in my 5000sq ft home. The CBK40 is what I have which is a 20 series system with a built in cable modem(CM700) and 1 RBS 20 satellite. Saw no issues while gaming with two consoles and streaming from 1 streaming device connected wirelessly to the RBS in the other room. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7