Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Best Performance for Ring Devices (Orbi Config. Settings)

Smutt235
Aspirant

I'm working with a newly installed Orbi Router, Satellite and Outdoor Satellite wireless system with the Router in AP mode as I have Verizon FIOS so need to use the Verizon Router to allow cable TV to work properly. 

When I upgraded from my old Apple Airport based WiFi to Orbi started to notice the classic issues on my Ring doorbell and outdoor wireless cameras as reported in this thread: Live View was wonky, delayed notifications AND one I hadn't seen yet. I've got my backyard cameras set up as linked devices so if one was triggered, the other would also record. The device that was triggered by motion would record but the linked device would not quite work, I'd see a black recording with two Ring.com watermarks. Pretty sure that was the result of the same network issues. 

I didn't have to go through the full telnet reset to get things working, starting at step 7 and changing the wireless settings as above seems to have solved my problems! Fingers crossed things stay stable. Thanks for this post!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 26 of 73
Wizec
Apprentice

Yes, disabling WMM on Orbi is generally a bad idea for speed. I see a major improvement in performance with WMM enabled.

Message 27 of 73
FURRYe38
Guru

Normally WMM should always be enabled on Orbi.

Message 28 of 73
superczar
Apprentice

Exactly - There is no point in spending on what is an expensive router only to force it to work at super slow speeds 

The workaround I use is an old super cheap router setup as an Access point that is wired to one of the satellites close to the Ring

This AP is configured to broadcast a separate SSID on a separate channel and the ring is configured to connect to this SSID

This way, all other devices connecting to the Orbi work at rated speeds while the Ring bell (which doesn not need fast cconnectoin) works without glitches

Message 29 of 73
xstussyone
Initiate

Super frustrated for couple days now, thank you for your step by step. Setup was breezy, no hiccups so far, fast live connect, fast motion, fast ring, no lags whatsoever.
Message 30 of 73
FURRYe38
Guru

Just curious, what FW version are you using? 

@xstussyone wrote:
Super frustrated for couple days now, thank you for your step by step. Setup was breezy, no hiccups so far, fast live connect, fast motion, fast ring, no lags whatsoever.

Message 31 of 73
Burr
Aspirant

@DorkiOrbiFW , Your first solution (dated ‎2019-06-28 12:15 AM) is working perfectly for me! I'm so happy that I stumbled upon your instructions. 
My original Ring Doorbells v.1 never had connection problems. Live view always worked without stutter but since I've had these V2's (almost a year now) so many problems. After using your recommended settings Echo Show, the Ring Mac app and my Android Ring app now work great with Live View. 

Many, Many thanks!

Message 32 of 73
Burr
Aspirant

Update Nov. 8, 2019

Unfortunately the fix I used in the 1st post was great (as I mentioned in my previous post) but it only lasted half of a day. I'll need to try the second method (separating 2.4 and 5hz/SSIDs) with a reset but just don't have the time right now. In the mean time, I'll keep looking for simpler fixes.

Message 33 of 73
madscientist34
Aspirant

Does anyone have a solution that doesn't involve turning off WMM or potentially adding another access point dedicated for the Ring doorbell. I am experiencing this issue and there doesn't doesn't seem to be a good solution. Right now the choice is the following:

• disable WMM and cripple all other devices on network, but have a working live view on Ring device
  • turn on WMM for good device speeds but have problems with enabling live view

I also do not think it is a good idea to have a smart device like this exposed to the whole internet by utilizing a DMZ or opening up the NAT on the router to just have this device work properly.

Can anyone chime in from Netgear on the potential issue? Seems like this have been a persistent problem for 2-3 years with no resolution by firmware updates.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 34 of 73
FURRYe38
Guru

Try this:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/orbi-20-cannot-connect-Swann-Camera/m-p/1822441/highlight/true...

Seems to be best solution for getting 2.4ghz only supporting devices connected to Orbi. It does work. 

@madscientist34 wrote:

Does anyone have a solution that doesn't involve turning off WMM or potentially adding another access point dedicated for the Ring doorbell. I am experiencing this issue and there doesn't doesn't seem to be a good solution. Right now the choice is the following:

• disable WMM and cripple all other devices on network, but have a working live view on Ring device

I also do not think it is a good idea to have a smart device like this exposed to the whole internet by utilizing a DMZ or opening up the NAT on the router to just have this device work properly.

Can anyone chime in from Netgear on the potential issue? Seems like this have been a persistent problem for 2-3 years with no resolution by firmware updates.

Message 35 of 73
madscientist34
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Try this:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/orbi-20-cannot-connect-Swann-Camera/m-p/1822441/highlight/true...

Seems to be best solution for getting 2.4ghz only supporting devices connected to Orbi. It does work. 

@madscientist34 wrote:

@FURRYe38, my post was directed at the original post in this thread so the info you provided is not useful. I do not have problems getting my ring device to connect to my Orbi 2.4 GHz network. This was never a problem. I have many 2.4 GHz only devices, non of which have had issues connecting to the network. My problem is with live view taking a long time to connect or not working randomly, as the original poster outlined.

So again, my two current options are to use settings outlined in this post (i.e. disable WMM and opening the NAT which cripples the speeds of all other devices on network and reduces security, but have a working live view on Ring device OR turn on WMM for good device speeds but have problems with live view). I do not want to have the device on a DMZ or open the NAT since this can substantially reduce the security of the network.

Anyone else have some suggestions?

Message 36 of 73
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you contact the Mfr of this device to see if there is any suggestions from them? 

@madscientist34 wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Try this:

@madscientist34 wrote:

@FURRYe38, my post was directed at the original post in this thread so the info you provided is not useful. I do not have problems getting my ring device to connect to my Orbi 2.4 GHz network. This was never a problem. I have many 2.4 GHz only devices, non of which have had issues connecting to the network. My problem is with live view taking a long time to connect or not working randomly, as the original poster outlined.

So again, my two current options are to use settings outlined in this post (i.e. disable WMM and opening the NAT which cripples the speeds of all other devices on network and reduces security, but have a working live view on Ring device OR turn on WMM for good device speeds but have problems with live view). I do not want to have the device on a DMZ or open the NAT since this can substantially reduce the security of the network.

Anyone else have some suggestions?

Message 37 of 73
MOJOE3
Aspirant

I am not that tech savy, so please help. I have two ring spotlight cams and one stick up cam. I have the orbi satelites rbr50 and the rbs50 outdoor wifi extender. I have read your post about changing the wireless settings and WAN, I looked on both my internet providers app and the orbi app and I do not see this option. Do I need to log on to a computer to do this? 

Thanks 

Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 38 of 73
DorkiOrbiFW
Apprentice

@MOJOE3 wrote:

I am not that tech savy, so please help. I have two ring spotlight cams and one stick up cam. I have the orbi satelites rbr50 and the rbs50 outdoor wifi extender. I have read your post about changing the wireless settings and WAN, I looked on both my internet providers app and the orbi app and I do not see this option. Do I need to log on to a computer to do this? 

Thanks 

@MOJOE3, yes. My apologies for not emphasizing this in my solution. Log into your router via orbilogin.net (or just type the IP address of your Orbi router. Then, follow my steps as shown. If you have any further questions, I'll be happy to help! Smiley Happy

Best,

Message 39 of 73
xstussyone
Initiate

Tested out current settings Listed here which lasted a day or two then back to intermittent live view connection. Tried for several days witH close proximity to router with still same lag or no live view connection at all. Fix does cripple the speed of other devices (no support from net gear nor ring). Since then I’ve returned the two ring doorbells Purchased. Not worth the hassle if need to go that route in my opinion. Maybe will try the next tier ring doorbell that supports 5ghz . My floodlight and ring doorbell 1st gen works perfectly on reprogrammed stock settings for rbr50. Guess if not broke l, don’t fix it. But will definitely try the 5ghz.
Message 40 of 73
MOJOE3
Aspirant

Thanks, I will let you know if successful and your directions are clear just not sure if I am or will be successful 🙂

Message 41 of 73
MOJOE3
Aspirant

Thanks, will try and update if successful.

Message 42 of 73
superczar
Apprentice

In my experience, the only thing that worked without crippling the rest of the network was an old spare routed provisioned specifically as an AP for the ring 

Having said that, I do not see any reason a cheap repeater cannot do the same 

You should be able to set the said repeater to broadcast a different SSID and link the ring to it

That should get you the best of both worlds - full speeds on the Orbi network for all your devices while the ring piggybacks to the network via a basic 2.4ghz 20mhz width non WMM link

IMO Definitely a better option to spend an incremental $20 than to cripple a $300 system

Message 43 of 73
MOJOE3
Aspirant

I was on the phone with netgear and there is a new firmware called a Hot fix but I am having trouble downloading. Tech support said this is the fix to the ring issue. Did you try this one?

Message 44 of 73
Burr
Aspirant

@superczar,
I certainly would be to willing to try your simple solution but have one question.
If my Ring Doorbells are on a new SSID, will my phone or computer ALSO have to be on that same SSID/wifi to be able to interact with the doorbells? If so, that definitely won't work for me.
Message 45 of 73
MOJOE3
Aspirant

I did not ask, but if when I am able to download the firmware and install I will ask and post their response. 

Message 46 of 73
jrmarinaro
Tutor

Just downloaed and install the Hotfix firmware, still having live view issues, fix doesn't work.

Message 47 of 73
superczar
Apprentice

No, none of your other devices need to be on the other SSID

In fact you should leave the other SSID dedicated to the Ring

The more complex explanation is that as long as your repeater/dedicate AP is connected to the existing ORBI network as a sclient, all devices on the Orbi network would see the AP/repeater and devices connected to the AP/repeater as a part of the same LAN

Message 48 of 73
Rrgirgis
Star

hey guys, for the ring battery devices liveview fix as i have said in the past the only real stable solution that doesnt cripple the rest of your orbi is having a separate wifi router to broadcast just for those devices. i have been using this solution for months now and have worked excellent.

I can confrim however that i did telenet into the orbi router and did a full reset and reinstalled the lastest firmware and this has helped speed up the wifi and stability quite a bit! i recommend doing that. but this will not fix the ring battery devices liveview issue.

also, hotfix, firmware update etc, i doubt this will repair the liveview issue now or going forward as i think its a orbi design that doesnt play nice with ring and the way it goes into sleep mode to save battery and i doubt that will change.
Message 49 of 73
Burr
Aspirant

@rrgirges,
Once you did the telnet/factory reset then firmware update, did you restore from a backup?
I have so many devices where I do address reservations that I really didn't want to restore.
Earlier, I updated my 3 satellites (rbs50, x2 & rbs20, x1) then the Router (rbr50). My devices seem to be all working (no change with ring doorbells though) but now when I log into the Android Orbi app or on the web, they show Zero devices connected. Also, when clicking on some of the advanced sections I get an error.
Message 50 of 73
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7