Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Best mesh system in metal building

Rohreeli
Aspirant

Best mesh system in metal building

Nighthawk router - works perfect. Ran ethernet cable under ground, in conduit, to metal building. 2 cameras installed that I need wifi access for. Tried splitting the main line to each camera and hard wire. Think they each need an access point (hense mesh wifi system) but they are separated by a metal wall. How do I add 1 system, but provide seevice to each camera?
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

You "split the line". What exactly do you mean? you can't just split the line. you actually need a switch to do something like that. Is that what you did? 

What is your current system/setup? 

You can use an orbi system. It supports both wired and wireless backhauls

Message 2 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@Rohreeli wrote:
Think they each need an access point (hence mesh wifi system) but they are separated by a metal wall. How do I add 1 system, but provide service to each camera?

Because of the metal wall (which will probably block WiFi signals), each camera needs a separate connection.

If the cameras have Ethernet ports (which many cameras do), then what you need is one inexpensive switch connected back to the main building plus one Ethernet cable to each camera.

If the cameras do not have Ethernet ports (WiFi only), then you need two WiFi access point systems (one in each room).

This results in:

• One switch connected to the main house
  • One access point connected to the switch with an Ethernet cable
  • One Ethernet cable running to the other room.
  • One access point in the other room.

The Netgear EX product is intended to be a WiFi Extender (its primary role).  Page 14 of the user manual shows how to configure the EX6400 as an access point: https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/EX6400/EX6400_UM_EN.pdf 

Installing a mesh system in the metal building seems like a more complicated and costly solution.

Message 3 of 6
Rohreeli
Aspirant

Ethernet Splitter Adapter - 

Rohreeli_0-1667833837844.jpeg

The single end has the cat5 cable from the modem/router at the house and each of the other go to the cameras respectively. Isnt this the same concept as a switch? (I do have a switch but it seems to disrupt the connection/overload the system when I have it plugged in??) 

Does the switch give each camera an access point where as the splitter adapter does not? 

Message 4 of 6
plemans
Guru

A splitter literally splits the 4x pairs into 2x pairs. Theoretically it can work but it can also cause a lot of issues and slow downs. 

Ethernet Switch vs. Hub vs. Splitter: What's the Difference? - Make Tech Easier

Message 5 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@Rohreeli wrote:

Does the switch give each camera an access point where as the splitter adapter does not? 

Thanks @plemans for the link to that excellent article.  I am beginning to wonder if there is ambiguity in the terminology.

On the forum, we tend to think of "access point" in terms of WiFi, i.e. is a device:

• A router, or
  • An Access Point (AP)

Both may provide WiFi connections, but the AP does not perform any "router functions."

If "access point" stands for "means of connection", that is entirely different.  The use of two Ethernet splitters (one in the house and one in the shop) can combine two 100MB Ethernet connections into one physical cable. So, if:

• There are two Etherent ports in the house, and
  • Each camera has an Ethernet port on it, and
  • There is an Ethernet cable from the splitter to each camera...

Then, yes using two splitters will probably  work just fine.  Even 4K 8MP IP security cameras come with only 100MB Ethernet ports. (I have several)

On the other hand, the splitter does not create any WiFi signal, which was where this all started.  The premise was that each camera needed a WiFi connection and that the metal wall inside the shop prevents WiFi from covering both rooms from one location.  Hence a need for two WiFi access points (APs).

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7