Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Best option for my house

Foxeslink
Aspirant

Best option for my house

Hey, so I have a large home and I want internet in certain areas. My house is Full Wired so I can have the best internet. The problem is I dont know what to Buy. I need 3 aps or Orbi system. Two of then are close and the other one is about 25 meters away. What would you do in my situation? Would you buy 3 access points as I have ethernet ready for then? Or should I invest in orbi system?
Message 1 of 24
ekhalil
Master

Re: Best option for my house

You can have Orbi Router and 2 x Orbi Satellites (Package is called RBK53, RBK43 or RBK23) and use wired backhaul to connect the Satellites to the Orbi Router. 

The following might help:

https://kb.netgear.com/000038220/What-are-the-hardware-specifications-of-the-available-Orbi-WiFi-Sys...

https://kb.netgear.com/000060584/Which-Orbi-WiFi-System-is-best-for-me

Message 2 of 24
Foxeslink
Aspirant

I was thinking in RKB50.

That would work seamlessly as they are wired ?
Message 3 of 24
ekhalil
Master

@Foxeslink wrote:
I was thinking in RKB50.

That would work seamlessly as they are wired ?

Yes, I have and RBK50 with wired backhaul and it works just fine. I have good wifi coverage all over the house, and at the same time have no dependency on how far the satellite is from the router as I'm using wired backhaul.

Message 4 of 24
Foxeslink
Aspirant

And i can connect the for example main orbi router to the satwllite in the orbi lan ports or I have to buy switch?

The configuration is easy?
Message 5 of 24
ekhalil
Master

@Foxeslink wrote:
And i can connect the for example main orbi router to the satwllite in the orbi lan ports or I have to buy switch?

The RBR50 has 3 x LAN ports and the RBS50 has 4 x LAN ports. You can use one of those ports on each node to connect the LAN ports between the nodes.

https://www.netgear.com/orbi/rbk50.aspx

@Foxeslink wrote:
The configuration is easy?

You can configure Orbi in few minutes using the Orbi app.

Just make sure that the ISP modem to which you connect Orbi is a "plain" modem with no router capability, so that the setup procedure will go smooth. 🙂

Message 6 of 24
Foxeslink
Aspirant

Thank your for the help!

That Beijing said, do you the cheaper will serve for me? I think RBK 43 will be enough as it will be connect by ethernet. Need to think about this
Message 7 of 24
Foxeslink
Aspirant

I forgot something that might be important.
So I know I can use the lan ports of the main orbi router to connect the sattelites. But can one be connected from the ISP?

That frame would be this

ISP - main orbi router - sattelite 1
ISP - switch - sattelite 2

Is that possible?
Message 8 of 24
CrimpOn
Guru

@Foxeslink wrote:
I forgot something that might be important.
So I know I can use the lan ports of the main orbi router to connect the sattelites. But can one be connected from the ISP?
ISP - main orbi router - sattelite 1
ISP - switch - sattelite 2

That is generally not a good idea.  If the Orbi is in router mode, it absolutely will not work.  If the Orbi is in Access Point (AP) mode, I am not 100% certain that it will fail, but would not attempt it.

I would recommend ISP - main Orbi router - switch - satellite 1 and satellite 2.

Message 9 of 24
Foxeslink
Aspirant

So, that will not work.

Let's try another way,

I drew the frame, I want to know if it's possible to do this:

https://i.imgur.com/M309ZB7.jpg 

Message 10 of 24
CrimpOn
Guru

That will work as long as the WiFi satellite is close enough to get a strong signal.

Most people recommend to put the satellite about 10 meters (30 feet) to start with and adjust from there.

Too close is not recommended because the WiFi signals will interfere.

But, WHERE is that switch now?

Message 11 of 24
Foxeslink
Aspirant

Yes, wifi sattelite will be 10-15 meters away

Sorry, now it's the final frame : https://i.imgur.com/EzXcb5F.jpg

I don't need the second switch, because satellite 3 works as wifi

If this truly works, I can now buy the system!

Message 12 of 24
ekhalil
Master

Yes, this should work. Go for it!

Good luck

Message 13 of 24
Foxeslink
Aspirant

Ordered!

As about configuration, I should configure them normally, like it was wireless? and then I just need to wire the router orbi to the sat 1 and I think it should be done. The sat 2 should automatically detects the router
Message 14 of 24
CrimpOn
Guru

I am probably too old and cautious.  I like to have them all in the same room so that I can see what the lights are doing and fuss with them without having to run back and forth through the house.  If a satellite will not do a WiFi sync in the same room, then it certainly will not do one farther away in the house.  Likewise, I would connect up an ethernet cable and verify that wired backhaul is working before moving the satellite to its permanent location. 

The units are also likely to want a firmware update.  Who knows when they left the factory and how long they have been sitting in one warehouse or another.  Get that all done before the final placement.

Message 15 of 24
Foxeslink
Aspirant

So I Got my RBK configured them, and it's all working. But.. my wifi speed in 5ghz should be 200mbps and I just can do it like 90mbps.

What am I'm missing ?

Message 16 of 24
ekhalil
Master

1. Which device do you use to test the wifi speed?
  2. Do you get the same speed when attached to the Router as when attached to the Satellite?
  3. What speed do you get in wired devices?
  4. Which 5GHz channel do you have in Orbi? Any neighbors using the same channel? Please make wifi scan and check. Change the channel if needed. 
  5. Please enable  MU-MIMO in the advanced wireless settings. 
Message 17 of 24
Foxeslink
Aspirant

@ekhalil  Sudenly, I did some speedtests and now the speed is what it should be. So strange! In a moment, everything did right.

I have 1 SSID, and the devices choose automatically if it should connect to the 5ghz or 2.4 ghz. That's good!

anyway, let me ask you, what settings should I enable or disable to get the best performance of this system ?

thank you

Message 18 of 24
Foxeslink
Aspirant

Daisy-Chain feature should be enable or disable in my case ?

Message 19 of 24
ekhalil
Master

@Foxeslink wrote:

@ekhalil  Sudenly, I did some speedtests and now the speed is what it should be. So strange! In a moment, everything did right.......

There miight have been radio interference from neighbour router that caused the issue earlier.

It's recommended that you make a wifi scan and select the most suitable radio channels for the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands

anyway, let me ask you, what settings should I enable or disable to get the best performance of this system ?

I think it's always good to have MU-MIMO enabled.

For Daisy Chain it's up to you, if the wireless Satellite is closer to the other Satellite than to the Router then you may choose to allow daisy chain connection for that Satellite, otherwise it's better to disable Daisy Chain.

Message 20 of 24
Foxeslink
Aspirant

I setted daisy chain disabled because the Wifi satellite is closer to the router than the other satellite.

In the attached devices, the type connection of the Wireless Satellite is 2.4ghz but in the past was 5ghz. The satellite is close to the router, I'm confident that does not mean its a bad connection. I can anyway get the 200mbps of speed. But I wonder why it's sometimes in 2.4 in type connection

thank you for your help. You trully deserve some beers

Message 21 of 24
Foxeslink
Aspirant

In fact, not a good idea disable the chain tipology. The wireless satellite type connection is keeping "poor". I still have the maximum wifi speed. I enabled the chain again, and the connection is always "good".

Strange things I'll never understand 😄

Message 22 of 24
ekhalil
Master

@Foxeslink wrote:

In fact, not a good idea disable the chain tipology. The wireless satellite type connection is keeping "poor". I still have the maximum wifi speed. I enabled the chain again, and the connection is always "good".

I don't think it's Daisy Chain that causes the Satellite to connect to the Router over 2.4 or 5 GHz band. I think if you just wait some time the backhaul will change automatically to the 5 GHz band.

Message 23 of 24
Foxeslink
Aspirant

Yes, you are right. It changes to the 5ghz.
My only concern is that disabling the chain the wifi quality is set to be poor. Its so strange because the satellite is exactly in the same place, and with the chain active the quality is good. Guess it won’t be bad the chained remains activate. Anyway, you could clarify me about this. I think there was a time that with that setting off the quality remain good for 1 time. The wired satellite is always good btw
Message 24 of 24
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 23 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7