Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Best setup for 1Gbit/s FTTH PPPoE, FRITZ!Box 4040 and Orbi RBK53

adamsky
Aspirant

Best setup for 1Gbit/s FTTH PPPoE, FRITZ!Box 4040 and Orbi RBK53

I just received my new Orbi RBK53. Can I get some advise how to optimally implement these beauties in my setup. So what's the best option for my 1Gbit/s FTTH (PPPoE), FRITZ!Box 4040 and Orbi RBK53:

1. FRITZ!Box 4040 modem/router (disabled WiFi) + RBR50 as AP

2. RBR50 directly to ONT (I've PPPoE details)

3. FRITZ!Box 4040 bridge/modem mode + RBR50 as router

What's the best option for approx 30-40 connected devices and local streaming from sat. box to pc/laptops? 

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
Ragar99
Luminary

Frankly, I'd go with a different option, get a good wired router to pair with the Orbi as an AP.  The Orbi and Fritz both excel with wifi, not routing. 

From your choices, I'd go with #1, the Fritz has got to have better routing than the Orbi.  #2 and #3 involve using the Orbi as a router, it might work, but this board is filled with people complaining about Orbi in routing mode, very few complain with it in AP mode.  

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 13

All Replies
ekhalil
Master

Things to consider are:

1. Router features: Decide which router will give you the features that you need: Orbi or the FRITZ!Box 4040. The device that you will chose as router will decide the routing functionality that you will get. Features like VPN, DDNS, UPnP

2. The less units you use is always better to optimize speed, so if I was to choose I will go for option 2 in your list in this aspect.

Message 2 of 13
Ragar99
Luminary

Frankly, I'd go with a different option, get a good wired router to pair with the Orbi as an AP.  The Orbi and Fritz both excel with wifi, not routing. 

From your choices, I'd go with #1, the Fritz has got to have better routing than the Orbi.  #2 and #3 involve using the Orbi as a router, it might work, but this board is filled with people complaining about Orbi in routing mode, very few complain with it in AP mode.  

Message 3 of 13
adamsky
Aspirant

Thanks guys for your prompt replies on this. Well "less devices" also means "all in one" in this case which from my exp. It's not always the best option. I think I'll try to find some better wired router and pair it with Orbi RBR50.

Message 4 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Message 5 of 13
Ragar99
Luminary

Furry, what the heck?  Do you have some kind of macro that searches for key words and auto replies that Modem Combo spiel of yours?  

Message 6 of 13

@Ragar99 wrote:

Do you have some kind of macro that searches for key words and auto replies that Modem Combo spiel of yours?  

It is called experience and knowing that most problems posted here come down to a handful of issues.

The "two routers on a network" one is far too common. The answer is pretty standard and does not depend on the hardware.

People like @FURRYe38 are perfectly capable of writing "macros" using the forum software. Here's one of mine:

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with competing DHCP servers and local address conflicts. To avoid that you may need to set the routers up with the right DHCP and IP address settings.

Unless you have specific reasons for using two routers, to create two separate networks for example, it is usually easier to use just one router and then to set up the second router as a wifi access point. Netgear advises this, as does just about every site you will visit.

Message 7 of 13
Ragar99
Luminary

If you read the initial post you will see three options, none of which propose a two router solution.  The OP clearly understands what a bridged modem, AP, and router are, so what is the point in a generic response?

"two routers on a network"  may be a common problem, but it is not relevant here.  Rather than clutter every thread with general canned advice why not create stickys?

Message 8 of 13

You complain about someone cluttering up the discussion with boilerplate text that was in response to a message from you that had sweet nothing to do with this discussion, or any discussion.

Oh, the irony.

Perhaps you should spend a bit of time reading the notes on how to use this community.

NETGEAR Community Terms Of Service | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 9 of 13
Ragar99
Luminary

I think I'll give up, Happy Holidays!  Don't spend it all here.

Message 10 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

So let us know what you needed up with. Were all curious. 

Smiley Wink

@adamsky wrote:

Thanks guys for your prompt replies on this. Well "less devices" also means "all in one" in this case which from my exp. It's not always the best option. I think I'll try to find some better wired router and pair it with Orbi RBR50.

Message 11 of 13
adamsky
Aspirant

Hi FURRYe38, I'm fine with the Ragar99 answer and also agree with his other comments. 

So far I'm enjoying the Orbi performance, around 400 Mbps in each corner in my house on WiFii ONLY. It's better than I was expecting and saved me from drilling holes through walls, ceiling, wiring, etc. ...happy 😉

Message 12 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 5 in conversation