Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Beta Firmware

mikerpalmer
Tutor

Beta Firmware

I am having all kinds of issues with the latest update. I am getting disconnects and speed issues. I was running an older version of firmware but the system will not allow me to downgrade back. It automatically updates back to the latest. Any idea how to get the latest beta?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 22

Accepted Solutions
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Beta Firmware

Hello Everyone

We have release firmware version 1.12.0.18 this firmware has fixes for disconnects and many more I posted the release notes below.

https://kb.netgear.com/000044171/RBR50-Firmware-Version-1-12-0-18

If you are still having issues after updating your Orbi unit you may want to factory reset the Orbi and test again. If you are still having disconnect issues or other issues with this firmware please post the issues you are having or contact our support team.

http://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

Thanks

DarrenM

View solution in original post

Message 22 of 22

All Replies
Vmk16
Star

Hello mikerpalmer ,

Which orbi model are you using, Is it RBR40 or RBR50 ?
Are you getting disconnection and speed issue on all devices ?

For RBR50 I GUESS THERE IS A BETA FIRMWARE NOT SURE ABOUT RBR40 . YOU CAN REACH OUT THE ORBI TECH SUPPORT @ 888NETGEAR .
Message 2 of 22
mikerpalmer
Tutor

It's the RBR50. I am noticing my iPad will drop wifi and then reconnect after about 30 seconds. I have a nest cam which disconnects every so often. Also, noticed my MacBook was connected to wifi but could not reach anything on my network (pings failed) until I turned wifi off/on on my MacBook. 

Message 3 of 22
Vmk16
Star

Hello Mike,

you can try the new bta firmware ( V1.12.0.12)  but before updating the firmware make sure that the Implicit beamforming and Mu-Mimo is disabled .

Message 4 of 22
DaoDaoJ
Initiate

The newest beta is V1.12.0.16 (Maybe)

Message 5 of 22

@DaoDaoJ wrote:

The newest beta is V1.12.0.16 (Maybe)

lol you would think 

Message 6 of 22
Vmk16
Star

Hello DaoDaoJ ,

Yes you are right the latest beta firmware is V1.12.0.16 .Which will an official one soon.
Message 7 of 22
BostonRob101
Guide

^ This guy...lol. Just another one us common folks visiting the forum as an Orbi user.
Message 8 of 22
Doug-48051
Luminary

Does anyone have a push date for V1.12.0.16? I have beamForming turned on, will this be an issue if the FW is automatically updated?

Message 9 of 22

not at this time 

if beam forming is working for you now it should work when new fw is pushed 

Message 10 of 22
JMU1998
Luminary

Can we turn on the MU-MIMO feature on yet? Or do we need to wait for the next Firmware? (assuming current Beta has it fixed).

Message 11 of 22

i have had mine on for ages and nothing has been a problem , this you will only know if you turn on and test in your location , if it doesnt cause issues then leave it on , if it does cause issue leave it off for now and report the issues 

Message 12 of 22
Yld2rob
Luminary

I am on beta 1.12.0.12. MU-MIMO and beamforming on. No disconnects. I have over 60 devices connected including Dropcams and I have been running the beta for a week with no issues. I think we may finally have a winner.

Message 13 of 22
Doug-48051
Luminary

Hearing good things about beta 1.12.0.12.  I am getting SAT drops. Lets hope they PUSH out as auto update soon.

Message 14 of 22
rhester72
Virtuoso

Even more good things about the latest beta.  A very, very, very long-standing issue has finally been corrected - can't say more, but it's been a hot-button issue for me particularly for quite a long time.  The final release should make a lot of folks pretty happy.

Rodney

Message 15 of 22
Doug-48051
Luminary

I hope so my friend. I really want this setup to be stable or I may need to return it by 7-20-2017.  I am holding off on youtube review b/c of beta. Wife is not happy after spending $400 on a setup that does not stay up. and my ranch is open floor plan 2,200 sq ft   LOL...  I will keep you all posted.

Message 16 of 22
JMU1998
Luminary

I brought this up in another thread as someone mentioned not being able to now turn off 2.4ghz completely in Beta, posting this question in this thread as it is for the latest Beta.  Why was the option to completely disable 2.4GHz removed? I have zero legacy devices on my network and have currently 2.4GHz disabled and want it disabled.  

This would be a deal breaker for me I have had the Orbi since release and very patiently dealt with the growing pains. If they remove this feature to not be able to disable 2.4GHz I am with a sad heart going to get rid of Orbi. 

Netgear if are reading this PLEASE put this option back in please give us the option and not force things on us everyone needs and environment are different!

Message 17 of 22

@JMU1998

think you are confused here as all you adapters will work on both 5 gig and 2.4 gig and it just depends on how far away from the router or sat as to when your device steeers its self to 2.4 gig

turning off 2.4 gig on the orbi and your client has no option and just hangs on to the slow low signal which effects its speed and connectivity , the whole reason to have band steering is to enable your client devices to have better connectivity over greater distances and overall better stability

Message 18 of 22
JMU1998
Luminary

@peteytesting thanks for the detailed explanation I understand that, but I still don't see the logic to take away the option to disable 2,4GHz those who want both on can those who don't have the option just silly to take the option away, competitor products offer the option to disable 2.4GHz.

In my environment speeds and range were fine using only 5GHz radio. I have 12 wireless devices running on 5GHz speed and ranges are fine for my needs. I do not have the need nor do I wish to enable the 2.4GHz radio, please do not force me to.

Message 19 of 22
st_shaw
Master

Orbi has a hidden network on the 2.4 GHz band.  It's there for some reason.  If you read the Netgear patent application for Orbi, it talks a lot about using all the different radios (2.4, 5, and dedicated 5) for the backhaul.

Message 20 of 22
rhester72
Virtuoso

It'll use 2.4GHz backhaul if the 5GHz connection is lost, though it's really only used to tell you "hey, you need to move the satellite closer to the router".  Used as actual backhaul, it'd suck pretty badly.

Rodney

Message 21 of 22
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Everyone

We have release firmware version 1.12.0.18 this firmware has fixes for disconnects and many more I posted the release notes below.

https://kb.netgear.com/000044171/RBR50-Firmware-Version-1-12-0-18

If you are still having issues after updating your Orbi unit you may want to factory reset the Orbi and test again. If you are still having disconnect issues or other issues with this firmware please post the issues you are having or contact our support team.

http://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

Thanks

DarrenM

Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 21 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7