Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Blink XT2 Camera / 5ghz Merged with 2.4 Issue

chrisxpierce
Tutor

Blink XT2 Camera / 5ghz Merged with 2.4 Issue

Ok...was having issues with live view on my Blink XT2 Cameras, called Tech support and they said something about the 2.4 and 5ghz was merged, and that was the issue and that I needed to contact my provider and have them change it...I'm assuming that because I have the orbi router, I'd have to use telnet to go into my router to rename the 5.gz??  Anyway...I tried that method, typing in the codes: Config get wl_ssid, then it gave me ORBI35, so then I typed, config get wla_ssid, as instructed, and it was supposed to have the same name, BUT....its blank when enter that line, no name appears??

Any help would be appreciated....I tried unchecking 5ghz on my router, but somehow, according to them, it still showed 2.4 was merged with 5ghz.

Thanks

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Blink XT2 Camera / 5ghz Merged with 2.4 Issue

They are full of (digested and expelled food items).  The BlinkX2 camera has only a 2.4G WiFi radio.  It cannot detect the Orbi 5G WiFi signal.  It does not matter how many 5G signals are in the neighborhood or what their SSID's are.  The Blink cannot see them.

It is possible (but unlikely) that the smartphone app used to configure the Blink camera requires the smartphone to be connected to a 2.4G WiFi signal.  There is a way to deal with that.

The only thing you do NOT need to do is mess around with hacking the Orbi WiFi names.

Does Live View work when the camera is in the same room with the Orbi?

Message 2 of 8
chrisxpierce
Tutor

Thanks,

I'll definitely leave it alone then.  I have 7 camera's and they'll all intermittent when attempting live view.  The work properly in every other way.  I disabled 5ghz by unchecking the box on the 5ghz ssid, but when I open up my Orbi app, to view connected devices, it still shows some connecting to 5ghz.  :-(.

Message 3 of 8
chrisxpierce
Tutor

to clarify...he didn't say others in the area were interfering...he said that because my orbi was merging the 2.4 & 5ghz, that, that was causing the intermittent issues.  Now he may be full of what you said, there too.  LOL

Message 4 of 8
chrisxpierce
Tutor

Message 5 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@chrisxpierce wrote:

Thanks,

I disabled 5ghz by unchecking the box on the 5ghz ssid, but when I open up my Orbi app, to view connected devices, it still shows some connecting to 5ghz.  :-(.

This probably is a good time to explain the difference between "disable" and "not broadcast SSID".  Orbi has no method to turn off (disable) either of the two radios.  Can't be done.  What CAN be done is to have the Orbi stop broadcasting the WiFi SSID.  Devices which are already connected to the Orbi at 5G will remain connected.  And, if a user manually keys in the SSID and password, the device can connect at 5G.  In normal use, however, the user brings up a screen showing available WiFi access points and the Orbi 2.4G WiFi is the only one that shows up.

To force a device to connect at 2.4G, one has to make the device "forget" the Orbi SSID and then search for WiFi again.  If the device merely disconnects, it will still remember the SSID/password and will merrily attach at 5G.  "Forgetting" is essential.

Message 6 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

1. Launch a web browser from a computer or mobile device that is connected to the Orbi network.
2. Enter orbilogin.com or 192.168.1.1 (IP address of your router's LAN port).
3. The login window opens, enter username "admin" and the password that you configured for your router.
4. Click Advanced tab > Advanced Setup > Wireless Settings.
5. Uncheck the box "Broadcast SSID" for the 5GHz frequency and click Apply to save the settings.
6. Confirm that your smartphone is connected to the 2.4GHz frequency. If it is still connected to the 5GHz frequency, then "Forget" the WiFi network for your SSID, then reconnect to it and enter your SSID password. Now your smartphone should be on the 2.4GHz frequency.
7. Try connecting your IoT device to the Orbi network per its setup instructions.
8. If it works, re-enable the broadcast SSID option for the 5GHz frequency.
9. On your smartphone, turn WiFi off and back on again and it should reconnect to the strongest signal.
10. If your smartphone did not reconnect to the 5GHz frequency, then "Forget" the WiFi network again for your SSID, then reconnect to it and enter your SSID password.

Message 7 of 8
chrisxpierce
Tutor

oh well...still having the same issue.  No devices are connected to the 5ghz band...yet the problem still exists.  Back to phone support.  Where I'm sure they'll still say I gotta separate the bands 😕

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7