Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Buying a used satellite for my RBR50?

SdeGat
Apprentice

Buying a used satellite for my RBR50?

There are quite a few Orbi kits for sale on the used market but I have read that not all models have a dedicated backhaul like the RBS50. 
Is there a list of models that I could look up before buying (to make sure I get a model with the dedicated backhaul)?
I realize that I would not be able to use a router as a satellite but if the price of the used kit is good, that would not matter. Smiley Happy

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 23

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Buying a used satellite for my RBR50?

The following models will work and have a backhaul. 

RBS20

RBW30

RBS40

RBS40V

RBS50

RBS50Y

Keep in mind, only the 50 series devices having the wider 1733mbps backhaul. The others use the 866mbps backhaul. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 23

All Replies
plemans
Guru

The following models will work and have a backhaul. 

RBS20

RBW30

RBS40

RBS40V

RBS50

RBS50Y

Keep in mind, only the 50 series devices having the wider 1733mbps backhaul. The others use the 866mbps backhaul. 

Message 2 of 23
SdeGat
Apprentice

Thanks for the quick answer @plemans Smiley Happy

I don't see many 50s out there but the slower backhaul should be fine for most devices. 
Are there any (other) performance considerations that I should keep in mind if I can choose between the models above? Higher the model number, the better?

Message 3 of 23
plemans
Guru

Its more about ethernet port availability on some models. The RBS40V has a built in speaker for alexa. The RBS50Y is an outdoor rated satellite. 

Message 4 of 23
SdeGat
Apprentice

@plemans wrote:

Its more about ethernet port availability on some models. The RBS40V has a built in speaker for alexa. The RBS50Y is an outdoor rated satellite. 

Ah yes, ethernet ports would be nice as I could have a backhaul-connected-satellite in the basement and my devices connected to it by Ethernet. Some devices may not even have wifi for that matter. 

Message 5 of 23
plemans
Guru

usually not a big deal as you can expand the ethernet connections with a simple unmanaged switch if you want. 
I've done that before when I needed more on a satellite. 

Message 6 of 23
SdeGat
Apprentice

Yes, understood. I have even older routers that I could use as switches (with wifi off). It's just another device to "look after" though. I'll try to avoid if I can...

Message 7 of 23
SdeGat
Apprentice

@plemans I just saw a used RBR50v2 kit. Would that force me to use the v2 as my router and connect my v1 satellite to it or can I just use the RBSv2 satellite with my current v1 RBR50? 

Message 8 of 23
plemans
Guru

They're interchangable. You can go eitherway. I'd just add the satellite to your current setup. 

Message 9 of 23
SdeGat
Apprentice

@plemans wrote:

They're interchangable. You can go eitherway. I'd just add the satellite to your current setup. 

Yes, that's the easiest. Smiley Happy Thanks again for your advice. 

Message 10 of 23
ekhalil
Master

I would use the RBS50v2 as the main router. My experience is the v2 is faster and more stable than the v1.
Message 11 of 23
SdeGat
Apprentice

@ekhalil wrote:
I would use the RBS50v2 as the main router. My experience is the v2 is faster and more stable than the v1.

Noted. Thanks @ekhalil.

Message 12 of 23
plemans
Guru

@ekhalil wrote:

I've got a v1 and v2. I haven't noticed much (if any) difference between the 2. 

I've noticed differences between firmwares but not between the versions. 

Message 13 of 23
SdeGat
Apprentice

The used RBR50 kit was already sold when I contacted the individual. 😕

Tell me @plemans (or anyone), could this be an opportunity to upgrade my RBR50 kit and just use my current RBS50 as a satellite to the new router? 🤔

Or should I just try to grab one of the compatible satellite listed in this thread and avoid the hassle? 🙂 And there are more of those like the RBK20 kit on the used market (and cheaper too). 

Speed is not a big big concern but I see that my Xfinity tv box is connected to my satellite at 780mbps which would not be possible with other satellites (such as the RBS20). 

2C1DA994-6271-4290-B358-9D457F2984BF.jpeg

Message 14 of 23
CrimpOn
Guru

@SdeGat wrote:

Tell me @plemans (or anyone), could this be an opportunity to upgrade my RBR50 kit and just use my current RBS50 as a satellite to the new router? 🤔

Alas, satellites from the various Orbi product lines do not function with routers from other product lines.  The newer AX products, for example, use 802.11ax for the satellite to router link, which a different radio chip that is different from the radio chip in the RBS50.  Even products with the identical "insides" are not compatible: Original Orbi and Orbi Pro have identical hardware, but their software is not compatible.

Annoying situation.

Message 15 of 23
SdeGat
Apprentice

@CrimpOn wrote:
Alas, satellites from the various Orbi product lines do not function with routers from other product lines.  The newer AX products, for example, use 802.11ax for the satellite to router link, which a different radio chip that is different from the radio chip in the RBS50.  Even products with the identical "insides" are not compatible: Original Orbi and Orbi Pro have identical hardware, but their software is not compatible.

Darn. 😕 Thanks @CrimpOn.
Is that true of all models or are there some that would work with RBS50?

Seems like the SRK60 would work with the RBS50. Not sure if the SRK60 is that much better than the RBR50 though. 💁‍♂️

Message 16 of 23
CrimpOn
Guru

An RBS50 will sync with any of the 'original' Orbi 802.11ac models

RBR50

RBR40

RBR20

The major difference between the RBS50 satellite and the satellites that were packaged with those other routers are:

• More ethernet ports
  • High speed backhaul (satellite to router) connection

I got a used RBR50 from eBay and it has worked for a couple of years. (It's my 'backup' and I also use it for messing around.)

Message 17 of 23
SdeGat
Apprentice

Yes @CrimpOn thanks, @plemans provided that list above. (Actually his was longer)

My question was about "newer" models that would work with the RBS50. Seems like the SRK60 would work but am not sure if it is much better. 🤷🏻

Message 18 of 23
plemans
Guru

They won't. The list I gave is accurate for your router. The 20/30/40/50 series work together
Message 19 of 23
SdeGat
Apprentice

Yes @plemans, I have not forgotten (yet). The (latest) question was about the other way around (since I could not get the used RBK50 kit); that is buying a new (better) router and connect my RBS50 satellite to the new router. 💁‍♂️

Message 20 of 23
SdeGat
Apprentice

If only as courtesy to those who have advised me, I was able to snatch a set of two used RBS50 (with a router) on eBay and easily connected them to my network. Smiley Happy Obviously, I am not using the router although I think I have read somewhere that someone was able to turn a router into a satellite through some kind of firmware update.

Thanks to all. Smiley Happy

List of network devices.JPG

Message 21 of 23
plemans
Guru

Glad its up and working. There is a way to convert and rbr to and rbs but you won't find it on the official forums. And it can easily brick the router. Might be better tto hold onto as a backup router. With having a decent investment in satellites, if the router goes bad, at least you can still get everything up and running

Message 22 of 23
SdeGat
Apprentice

@plemans wrote:

Glad its up and working. There is a way to convert and rbr to and rbs but you won't find it on the official forums. And it can easily brick the router. Might be better tto hold onto as a backup router. With having a decent investment in satellites, if the router goes bad, at least you can still get everything up and running

Yes, agreed. I don't need any more satellites anyway. 🙂

Message 23 of 23
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 12 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7