Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can Cable Orbi CBR 40 connect with Orbi WiFi 6 Satellite?

Denoz777
Follower

Can Cable Orbi CBR 40 connect with Orbi WiFi 6 Satellite?

Can we connect Orbi CBR 40 with Orbi Satellite WiFi 6?

Model: CBR40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Router

NO, the RBS850 is not backwards compatible currently with Orbi AC models. 

@Denoz777 wrote:

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

"connect" is ambiguous.  Yes, the yellow (WAN port on the RBR40 can be connected to an ethernet port on the WiFi6 satellite, and the RBR40 can be put into Access Point (AP) mode.  It will be the same result as connecting any brand of WiFi access point using ethernet.  It will not "become part of the WiFi  6 Orbi network", just as it cannot be made into a part of another WiFi 5 Orbi network.

Message 2 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

NO, the RBS850 is not backwards compatible currently with Orbi AC models. 

@Denoz777 wrote:

Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Said much better.  Once again, I am "too literal".  Every router (of any brand) can be attached to an existing router/satellite (of any brand) and will do what it is supposed to do:  it will set up its own IP subnet and assign IP addresses to anything that asks for one.  Just today, I attached an Orbi RBR50 yellow (WAN) port to an existing Orbi RBR50 LAN port.  Worked fine, except that it's an irrational thing to do.  A computer attached to my 2nd Orbi surfed the web just fine.  Did email just fine.  BUT... when I wanted to access a printer on my primary Orbi - no dice!  Computers on my regular Orbi have no idea how to reach computers on my 2nd Orbi.

I am thinking here of those people who post questions about , "How can I provide access to (tenants, renters, children, etc.) without letting them access my main network?"  Any old WiFi router would do the trick (including the RBR40).

If the question was meant "the other way", "Can I attach an RBS850 satellite to a CBR40 router, "no way in hell".

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7