× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can I combine backplane methods in my orbi network

bhenry
Tutor

Can I combine backplane methods in my orbi network

With the newest firmware I have gone to using my orbi in AP mode with my comcast high speed 250 down for the house. The orbi router was proving not up to the task for some reason while using the modem in bridge.

I have one satellite up stairs now in a mode that is likely daisychained now since it is closer to the middle satellite than the orbi router/Ap mode. I have a direct Ethernet line to upstairs far corner of the house and could connect that farthest satellite directly to the Comcast modem which is my router now. Would that model be ideal since the farthest satellite would be on an Ethernet backplane, vs daisy chained to the middle satellite. Of course that’s a presumption on my part - I am not sure how to tell if the upstairs is going direct to the orbi AP and thus star or if it’s daisy chaining.

Is it supported to have one satellite with a wireless backplane and one on a wired backplane and if so would you plug the wired satellite into the Comcast - my assumption is yes, since my Orbi router is just acting as the main AP. Or would the Orbi want it wired into one of its ports, which presumably are acting just like a hub and still getting their ip’s from the Comcast.
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 4
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Can I combine backplane methods in my orbi network

You would want to wire the satellite into the orbi router and you would have to enable daisychaining for a satellite to connect to each other if that option is not selected then it is doing a star setup.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 4
bhenry
Tutor

So if I am using my Comcast as the router and hading out IP's, the Orbi router is just acting as the AP, you would plug one satellite into the router wired, turn on daisychain, and then could operate a two satellite/one routr system in one satellite on wire and one on wireless backplane?

Message 3 of 4
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

That is correct.

DarrenM

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation