Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can I connect Airport Express to Orbi network for music only?

jp4270
Follower

Can I connect Airport Express to Orbi network for music only?

I currently have an Airport Extreme as my main router, and am considering a pair of Orbi routers. I want to connect my Airport Express for Airplay music only, like I do now, when I set up the new network. Is it possible?

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
djc6
Luminary

Re: Can I connect Airport Express to Orbi network for music only?

I've used my 802.11a/b/g/Draft N AirPort Express model MB321LL/A in this manner by putting it in client mode as the reply above indicates.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
GamerHonu
Star

I haven't used an Airport Express in awhile but it offers a client only function that may do what you're looking to do.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204371

"AirPort Express can function as a full-fledged wireless access point, or it can join an existing network just to offer its wireless print server and audio features. When AirPort Express does that, it is in "client mode."

In client mode, AirPort Express does not offer itself as a wireless access point or use its Ethernet port. As a wireless client, AirPort Express is simply a destination for AirTunes and print jobs. It can join both 802.11b and 802.11g networks, including those using security features such as WEP and WPA-PSK."

Message 2 of 3
djc6
Luminary

I've used my 802.11a/b/g/Draft N AirPort Express model MB321LL/A in this manner by putting it in client mode as the reply above indicates.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7