Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can I create a second Wifi with a RBK50 hooked up to RBK852?

TURBOGUARD
Tutor

Can I create a second Wifi with a RBK50 hooked up to RBK852?

So I have a RBK852 upstairs connected to a satelite at the other end of house. I own two floors, each about 1000sqf. But my Denon speakers on first floor keeps disconnecting from Spotify so I assume it's the wifi it's struggling with. 

SO; I upgraded to new AX6000 from the AC3000 RBK50 (I believe it's called), and I do have a hardwire to downstairs. COULD I just hardwire my old router and set up the satelite on first floor to get extended network? Or can I set it up as seperate wifi? 

Sorry, I'm not super techy when it comes to these things. If the AX6000 system were cheaper, I'd just buy more satelites but yeah, I'm stuck with this now. Please help, and thank you.

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Can I create a second Wifi with a RBK50 hooked up to RBK852?

You would be creating a separate SSID name and network. The RBR can't work as a satellite. It could set it up as a AP configuration. Thus the RBK8 series would be the main host router and wifi, and the RBK5 series would be in AP mode with a separate SSID name network. To ensure this works well in such close proximity, Set 1 RBR850 2.4Ghz channels to 11 and the RBR50 to channel 1. Same with 5Ghz, set 1 RBR to channel 48 and the other RBR to channel 36. Keep these far appart as posible. For such a small home though, you may see problems. 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

You can turn down the radio output power on the 50 series RBR from 100% to say 50 or 25%. I use 25% currently on my RBK50 system. Leaving my 8 series Orbi at 100%

Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Please about any 8 series Orbi question or information here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Message 2 of 4
TURBOGUARD
Tutor

Thanks for you're reply. 

You seem to know much about this so I want to ask you, I tried to put my RBS8 downstairs HARDWIRED and it gave the WORST readings. I left it in Wireless connection in same place downstairs but noticed I had ZERO connection to wifi by stepping outside in my backyard (about 15ft away from satelite) so yesterday put it back upstairs where it now is. 

So in short, why did the satelite function worse while hard wired? It's connected with about a 20ft cat 5e cable.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Could be building materials. Could be your LAN cable you used. Ensure your mobile device is actually connected to the RBS and not the RBR. You have to disable the mobile devices wifi radio temporarily, move near the RBS then turn the radio back on, then the device should be connected there. Many things. 

CAT6 is recommended for most LAN cable connections now days. 

Please post more about this if you need over in the Orbi AX forum. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7