Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can I replace or add a Wired ORBI pod to my existing RBK53 Orbi system?

codeman00
Aspirant

Can I replace or add a Wired ORBI pod to my existing RBK53 Orbi system?

I have a RBK53 (3 Pod) orbi system.  The main unit is wired and the other two satellites are wireless.  The unit works very well without any issues.  The master bedroom is the furthest point in the house due to the design and the wifi signal is less there than through the rest of the house.  I have heard that some of the new Orbi pods can be hooked up wired and I do have Cat6 in the bedroom. I would like to get maximum speed in the bedroom since we spend so much time there.

Can I purchase and add a 4th pod to the system that's wired in my bedroom?

Or can I replace one of the pods with the new one instead of adding a 4th?

Would either configuration be plug & play or would I need to do some configuration?

If so, what model number for a single orbi pod would I need to purchase?

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

@codeman00 wrote:

So none of my RBR50 satellites can be wired?  Is that correct?  They have ethernet ports but my understanding is that they are ports out but not ports in.  I would have to buy one of the pods that you listed to wire into.... is that correct?

Sorry we were not clear.  ALL of your Orbi satellites (two?) can use ethernet backhaul.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 2 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@codeman00 wrote:

Can I purchase and add a 4th pod to the system that's wired in my bedroom?

Or can I replace one of the pods with the new one instead of adding a 4th?

Would either configuration be plug & play or would I need to do some configuration?

If so, what model number for a single orbi pod would I need to purchase?

You could move one of the existing satellites to the bedroom and see how that affects total coverage in the house.

What seems to be most effective is to temporarily move the satellite to the same location as the router and connect them with an ethernet patch cable.  After a few minutes, the satellite should detect the ethernet link and change to it. Once that has succeeded, then the satellite can be moved to the bedroom and connected to that Cat6 cable.  If moving the satellite does not create new areas with poor signal, then "problem solved."

Any of the original Orbi satellites that have an ethernet port will connect to the router.

This includes RBS20, RBS30, RBS40, RBS50. But NOT the RBS10 and NOT the RBW30 (no ethernet jack).

The "best deal" right now appears to be the RBS40V which Amazon is selling for $100US.  It includes a speaker which can be configured with Amazon Alexa (hence the low price), but that feature can be ignored.  Or, who knows, maybe you want another music source in the bedroom.

Message 3 of 7
codeman00
Aspirant

I did try the orbi in the bedroom early on but it is weak unfortunately via wifi.  It would be a fine place for one if I could wire it. 

So none of my RBR50 satellites can be wired?  Is that correct?  They have ethernet ports but my understanding is that they are ports out but not ports in.  I would have to buy one of the pods that you listed to wire into.... is that correct?

And I assume Orbi is okay with a 4th additional pod and doesn't have a max limit?

I appreciate the model numbers. That helps a ton. 

Message 4 of 7
codeman00
Aspirant

From the link provided, it looks like my RBR50 satellites do work with ethernet backhaul. If that's the case, all I need to do is move my Orbi satellite to the room next door and wire it up. The ports in the back didn't appear to be different colored with an ethernet in like I expected.  I will try this out and see what happens.

Message 5 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@codeman00 wrote:

Sorry we were not clear.  ALL of your Orbi satellites (two?) can use ethernet backhaul.

Message 6 of 7
codeman00
Aspirant

@CrimpOn wrote:

@codeman00 wrote:

UPDATE:  I wired my farthest Orbi satellite up over the weekend.  The ethernet port was always there, I just didn't know that this model could be wired since it didn't have a special colored "in" port like most ethernet switches do. 

Anyway, I'm happy to say that I now have almost full speed throughout the house.  That one being wired actually doubled the speed of the last remaning unwired orbi, up to the provider speed.  I'm embarassed to say that the opportunity was the same all along, I just didn't know that it could be wired.  I was happy with the orbi, but now I'm REALLY happy!

Thanks all for the help!!!!
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7