Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can I use Orbi RB20 satellites with a new RBK50 router?

ConnorMcC
Aspirant

Can I use Orbi RB20 satellites with a new RBK50 router?

Hi, I’ve seen a few posts on here with people asking whether they can use their 2B20 router as a satellite for an 2BK50 router, but my question is a little different. I had been using an ORBI RB20 mesh system with the RB20 router and 2 satellites (and one more additional smart satellite) for my home network. Recently, my RB20 router stopped working due to lightning hitting our home—but our satellites are still functioning (to the best of my knowledge). I’ve gone ahead and bought a replacement router, upgrading to the RBK50 model, but am wondering if I can continue using my RB20 satellites along with the RBK50 router and it’s included satellite. Are the RB20 satellites compatible with an RBK50 router? Hopefully this makes sense and someone can help. Cheers
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Can I use Orbi RB20 satellites with a new RBK50 router?

Yes, the RBK20 satellites work with the RBR50 router. The only "issue" is that they do not support the blazing AC3000 speed that the RBS50 satellites do. I do not know if the this will affect the performance of the RBS50 satellites. 802.11 for 2.4G has several versions, b, g, and n. If even a single device on the network supports only "b", that forces the entire WiFi to operate at b. Surely the 5G standards are more advanced?

These RBK20 satellites will operate as well as they did before. Go for it. 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5

All Replies
ConnorMcC
Aspirant

Also, I apologize if this question has been asked before—I tried my best to look for a similar thread!
Message 2 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Yes, the RBK20 satellites work with the RBR50 router. The only "issue" is that they do not support the blazing AC3000 speed that the RBS50 satellites do. I do not know if the this will affect the performance of the RBS50 satellites. 802.11 for 2.4G has several versions, b, g, and n. If even a single device on the network supports only "b", that forces the entire WiFi to operate at b. Surely the 5G standards are more advanced?

These RBK20 satellites will operate as well as they did before. Go for it. 

Message 3 of 5
ConnorMcC
Aspirant

Wow, really appreciate the fast response. So just to check, what you’re saying is it will work—but only to the max capabilities of the RB20 satellites. Do you think spending the extra money for the RB50 router was worth it then, since I’ll end up getting the same connection quality that I could be getting with a much cheaper 2B20 replacement router? I suppose it might be if I plan to phase out the RB20 satellites and replace them with RB50s—if I ever need an upgrade, but it’s a shame the new router won’t do much.
Message 4 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

I may have confused things. (I am quite literal, which my family finds annoying). RBK50 refers to a package of one RBR50 router and one RBS50 satellite. So, I assumed that is what you have. The '50' series have larger antennas and a more powerful radio, so there might be an improvement over just replacing the original router with the same model. Maybe not much. Maybe not worth the extra cost.

I am not technically qualified to offer an opinion on how much 'better' this mixed environment will be, only that it WILL work.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7