Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can I use a R6400 as a satellite for an orbi RBR50 mesh system?

JourneysCT
Aspirant

Can I use a R6400 as a satellite for an orbi RBR50 mesh system?

I am needing to extend my wifi range to include my garage. I have a R6400 Router and would like to know if it can be used as an additional satellite for the RBR50?

If so, can you tell me how to make that happen? Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Thank you!

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router, RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Can I use a R6400 as a satellite for an orbi RBR50 mesh system?

Extending network access to an outbuilding comes up fairly often.  There seem to be a number of strategies:

• #1 (by far) is to install an ethernet cable from the main building to the outbuilding. Cat 5e or Cat6 ethernet cable will support 1G speed for up to 90 meters. Outdoor or Direct burial ethernet cable is relatively inexpensive.  The bigger cost is installation: (a) penetrating the two structures and (b) trenching or installing PVC conduit.
    If it is at all feasible to install a cable, this is the best solution.
  • #2 is to create a "fake ethernet cable" by installing a pair of WiFi bridge units, such as the Ubiquiti NanoStation
    https://www.ui.com/airmax/nanostationm/ 
    Ubiquiti is a major networking company.  An Amazon search for "WiFi bridge" will turn up dozens of products (from companies I have never heard of).  I would suggest reading the product reviews to get an idea of how customers have used them to solve very similar problems.  These units are rated in terms of kilometers, so it is often possible to install both units inside (the house and the garage) so that building penetration is not necessary.  At $100-$200US for a pair, this is more than the cost of ethernet cable, but probably much less than the cost of installation.
  • #3 would be to install a WiFi Extender product in the garage, probably in a window.  Somewhere that it can pick up enough of a signal to connect to the Orbi WiFi network and provide coverage to the garage. 100ft is pretty far for this to be sucessful.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

@JourneysCT wrote:

I am needing to extend my wifi range to include my garage. I have a R6400 Router and would like to know if it can be used as an additional satellite for the RBR50?

Sorry, not possible. Only Orbi satellites from the original Orbi product line can function as true satellites with the RBR50 router:

RBS50

RBS40

RBW30

RBS20

RBS40V

(Not the 'Pro'. Not the 'AX'. Not the "10" series.)

Would be useful to know if the garage is (a) part of the main building, or (b) a separate building.

Message 2 of 5
JourneysCT
Aspirant

Thank You, CrimpOn. I figured that might be the answer. The garage is actually about 100 feet from the house and just on the outskirts of the range. The reception in the garage is definitely a hit & miss issue. I'm just looking for a way to get something more reliable at little or no expense.

Message 3 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Extending network access to an outbuilding comes up fairly often.  There seem to be a number of strategies:

• #1 (by far) is to install an ethernet cable from the main building to the outbuilding. Cat 5e or Cat6 ethernet cable will support 1G speed for up to 90 meters. Outdoor or Direct burial ethernet cable is relatively inexpensive.  The bigger cost is installation: (a) penetrating the two structures and (b) trenching or installing PVC conduit.
    If it is at all feasible to install a cable, this is the best solution.
  • #2 is to create a "fake ethernet cable" by installing a pair of WiFi bridge units, such as the Ubiquiti NanoStation
    https://www.ui.com/airmax/nanostationm/ 
    Ubiquiti is a major networking company.  An Amazon search for "WiFi bridge" will turn up dozens of products (from companies I have never heard of).  I would suggest reading the product reviews to get an idea of how customers have used them to solve very similar problems.  These units are rated in terms of kilometers, so it is often possible to install both units inside (the house and the garage) so that building penetration is not necessary.  At $100-$200US for a pair, this is more than the cost of ethernet cable, but probably much less than the cost of installation.
  • #3 would be to install a WiFi Extender product in the garage, probably in a window.  Somewhere that it can pick up enough of a signal to connect to the Orbi WiFi network and provide coverage to the garage. 100ft is pretty far for this to be sucessful.

Message 4 of 5
JourneysCT
Aspirant

Thank You again, CrimpOn!

All very good suggestions. I have an Apple Wifi extender and will give that a try. I can get a very spotty reception now, so the extender should most likely do the trick!

Again, Thank you!

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7