Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can an orbi satellite work at 75' from the orbi?

RandySea
Follower

Can an orbi satellite work at 75' from the orbi?

I need advice about what model would be best for my house and cabin.

Right now I have a TP-Link AC 1750 in the middle of my house and an old Cisco Valet  reflashed to work as a Wireless Access Point (WAP) at 75' away in my cabin. My internet connect in this rural area using a radio connection from my to a fiber optic repeater radio maxes at 7Mbps download. This works pretty well for most of what I need. This includes general internet usage for surfing and email. I have Netflix with a smart TV (not 4K) that is connected via Ethernet to the router..

I discovered that from the far end of the house, where I usually work, my wifi is marginal when used with Zoom and my Lenovo Carbon X1 laptop. The signal strength varies from -60 db to -70db on 5 GHz. It is marginally better at 2.5 GHz. If I put my laptop near the router, strength increases to -40 db or better.

My OOKLA measured internet download speed at that far end of the house varies from 1.6 Mbps to 7 Mbps, seemingly at random. My ISP says my local fiber optic radio repeater is not even close to being fully used, so the problem is probably in my house.

My idea is a new mesh router in the center of the house and a satellite near where I work. For the cabin, I have no idea if the existing Cisco WAP could connect to the new mesh router or if I would need an additional satellite of the same brand and type. If a satellite, would an Orbi one work at that distance, given that my existing setup with several-years-old hardware does work adequately for that guest cabin?

I am pretty much overwhelmed by the choices in Netgear mesh routers, not to mention other brands. Among others, I looked at the RBK23 and the RBK33. I don't know if the wall plug system relies on AC wiring transmission. My cabin is on a different power line from my house, with its own meter. If my Cisco WAP could still work in the cabin, I'd only need a Netgear 2-pack.

I could really use some advice.

Message 1 of 2
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Can an orbi satellite work at 75' from the orbi?

That maybe a bit too far. Unless it was line of site with not building materials in between. 

30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.  Some have posted having RBS up to around 60 ft from the RBR.

https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

You might want to consider buried LAN cable as an option. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7