Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Betreff: Can't Update Orbi Satellite Firmware

Can't Update Orbi Satellite Firmware

Hi. I bought a new Satellite from Best buy. Synced to my my router. On the connected Satelite tabs, it shows my two Satelites, but the new one I bought, for the "Backhaul Status" it says Config Sync. Went to Advanced/Administration/Firmware Update, Satelite is not showing Current Version of Firmware, just --.--.--.--, for Status it says "Please wait a moment" and as a result, unable to do online update. Tried Manual Update, I followed the instructions correctly, got the right firmware for the RBS50 Satelite, RBS50-V2.1.1.16, tried to upload it , but I get an error message saying "This firmware file is incorrect! Please get the firmware file again and make sure it is the correct firmware for this product". I reseted orbi satelite a couple of times. Same issue. Can someone please help me with a solution? Do you think I have a defective Satelite & should return it?

Model: RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
Ely
Luminary
Luminary

Hi, put everything back on RBS50-V2.1.1.16, then try to upgrade everything again to the latest version, but (VERY IMPORTANT) update your Satellites first! then finally update the main unit.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 10

All Replies
budy
Luminary

Hi,

can you check the MD5 checksum of the downloaded firmware file. I just downloaded the RBS50 2.1.1.16 fw file and unzipped it. Mine shows this MD5 checksum:

687b6136e61b8cbb3be9d11135be959d

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 2 of 10

Hi, is the same checksum. I have tried other firmware, and i get the same problem.

Message 3 of 10
Ely
Luminary
Luminary

Hi, put everything back on RBS50-V2.1.1.16, then try to upgrade everything again to the latest version, but (VERY IMPORTANT) update your Satellites first! then finally update the main unit.

Message 4 of 10

I'm unable to flash any firware on the defective RBS50. I have tried flashing a couple of old versions, and none of them work, I keep getting message about incorrect firmware. The only one that takes the firmware is the other Satellite I have.

Message 5 of 10
Ely
Luminary
Luminary

Did you follow my instructions exactly as I said? you need to put the version that is in the "defective satellite" back in the main unit, then go back and attempt to upgrade your satellite first to the latest version, then the router.

Message 6 of 10
linkwrt
Guide

First:

- update RBR router

Second:

- update RBS satellite.

I used Netgear orbi from iphone/android to update the orbi satellite.

Message 7 of 10
Ely
Luminary
Luminary

Absolutely wrong, Satellites FIRST, then router, of course he/she will need to get everything back on the same V2.1.1.16 firmware for the upgrade to work properly.

Message 8 of 10
huskerabe
Aspirant

Re: Can't Update Orbi Satellite Firmware

I had the same problem and was getting the same error.  I went directly to the satellite's ip (192.168.1.3 in my case), and noticed it was running 1.11.0.20.   So I downloaded the next one (1.12.0.18) and so on.  I noticed when I went up by more than one version I received the error message saying "This firmware file is incorrect! Please get the firmware file again and make sure it is the correct firmware for this product".  So be patient, do one at a time until you get to the latest version.

Message 9 of 10

Re: Can't Update Orbi Satellite Firmware

Thanks for the replies. I got it to work by downgrading the Router & the working Satelite to V2.1.1.16. Then, I did a factory reset on the Router, & the 2 Satelite. After I re-activated everything together, it gave me the option to update all the devices to the latest version. Thanks again for the help.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7