Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't access internet through wifi

Scarbar
Aspirant

Can't access internet through wifi

Moved hardware to new home, now can't access internet. Orbi and Arris modems were disconnected for several months during the move.

Hardware: Arris SB6183 modem, Mediacom provider. Internet connection good via ethernet on PC.

Orbi and satellite worked well at previous house. Seemed to set up normally as all ios devices connected automatically. But, receive 'SSL error' or 'A server w/ the specified host name could not be found' on all sites.

Reset to factor default settings and set up from scratch again but still no wifi internet.

Have exhausted all site and UTube troubleshooting suggestions.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11

Start from basics.

Can you get the Arris SB6183 modem to connect to the Internet on its own?

Is that what thnis means?

@Scarbar wrote:

Mediacom provider. Internet connection good via ethernet on PC.

If this is hardware that you have moved from one place to another, you should "factory reset" everything and set them up from scratch. They need to forget your old internet settings.

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug modem.
  • Turn off router and computers.
  • Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it connect.
  • Turn on computers and rest of network.

Message 2 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

@Scarbar wrote:

Moved hardware to new home, now can't access internet. Orbi and Arris modems were disconnected for several months during the move.

Hardware: Arris SB6183 modem, Mediacom provider. Internet connection good via ethernet on PC.

Orbi and satellite worked well at previous house. Seemed to set up normally as all ios devices connected automatically. But, receive 'SSL error' or 'A server w/ the specified host name could not be found' on all sites.

Reset to factor default settings and set up from scratch again but still no wifi internet.

Have exhausted all site and UTube troubleshooting suggestions.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Message 3 of 11
Scarbar
Aspirant

I can't tell from the App and can't get the routerlogin.com page to load from my browser. Tried to update the firmware from the app but since the Orbi can't get to the internet that failed.

Message 4 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

So lets try this. Power OFF the ISP modem for 1 minute. Connect a wired PC to the RBR in back. Press the reset button in back for 15 seconds then release. Power ON the ISP modem and let it sync. When you see the top ring LED start to slowly pulsate WHITE, use a web browser and access the RBRs web page at 192.168.1.1 or orbilogin.com. Walk thru the setup wizard. This should help you get the RBR connected to the modem. Complete the setup wizard. I would not enable Circle or Armor. 

Be sure to setup a custom SSID name and password. Use something different for the SSID name. Can be anything. Fun or intuitive. 

Check internet connect with the wired PC. Then check with a wireless device. 

Let us know how this goes. 

Message 5 of 11
Scarbar
Aspirant

Michael,

Thanks for the reply. Yes. PC is working normally via the SB modem and an ethernet connection. I am shutting down to try your reset now.

Scarbar

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 6 of 11
Scarbar
Aspirant

Furry,

Interesting. Let me make sure I understand. I only have one ethernet 'in' port on my PC (Windows). I should take the switch end of this cable and plug it into the RBR50, I assume, into the yellow ethernet port. (Which is now connected to my switch).

The Surfboard modem only has one ethernet out port and it is connected to the switch which powers all my gear, AV, streaming box, NAS, etc.

Or, should I leave the ethernet cord connected from the switch in the yellow slot and plug the PC into one of the other RBR50 router ethernet ports?

Greatly appreciate the help!

Scarbar

Message 7 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

The LAN cable configuration should look like this:

ISP modem(WAN port)>RBR50(Yellow WAN port in back of RBR to modems WAN port)>PC wired connect to back of RBR50(White LAN ports in back. Not the Yellow Port.)

What is the mfr and model# of this switch.

You can connect the switch to the back of the RBRs LAN ports thats not being used. 

@Scarbar wrote:

Furry,

Interesting. Let me make sure I understand. I only have one ethernet 'in' port on my PC (Windows). I should take the switch end of this cable and plug it into the RBR50, I assume, into the yellow ethernet port. (Which is now connected to my switch).

The Surfboard modem only has one ethernet out port and it is connected to the switch which powers all my gear, AV, streaming box, NAS, etc.

Or, should I leave the ethernet cord connected from the switch in the yellow slot and plug the PC into one of the other RBR50 router ethernet ports?

Greatly appreciate the help!

Scarbar

Message 8 of 11

@Scarbar wrote:

Switch between modem and router is wrong.

The router has to handle the traffic to those other devices. The modem can't do it unless it is a modem/router, but that adds another issue that we can come back to if you do have a modem/router. (Unlikely if it has a single Ethernet port.)

It goes like this:

internet > modem > router > switch > stuff

If there are spare ports on the router, you can use them as well as the switch.

Message 9 of 11
Scarbar
Aspirant

I rewired the router as suggested, modem to router, router to switch, but that cut my PC off the WWW and still didn't allow the router to access the internet from the Orbi app in setup mode. Returned the wiring and regained www on the PC. Rebooting entire system also did not work.

Message 10 of 11

@Scarbar wrote:

I rewired the router as suggested, modem to router, router to switch, but that cut my PC off the WWW and still didn't allow the router to access the internet from the Orbi app in setup mode.

Is this PC wired to the router? Or wifi'd?

There has been a lot of "messing around" here. You can't just pull out plugs here and there and plug them back in where you think fit.

You started off with a wonky network that had little chance of working as expected. You now need to set up the network as it should be.

First establish that your modem is working as it should.

Then restart the network. Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug modem.
  • Turn off router and computers.
  • Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it connect.
  • Turn on computers and rest of network.

You may need to factory reset the router yet again before you do this, to get it to forget any settings it picked up .
earlier

This is a lot like the instructions that @FURRYe38 offered. The important bit is to do things in the correct order. No shortcuts.

@FURRYe38 did ask "What is the mfr and model# of this switch."

It could be important.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7