Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can’t access some sites with Orbi

cdanthony
Aspirant

Can’t access some sites with Orbi

Hi,

ever since I installed the Orbi system I’ve had chronic problems with it totally dropping internet connection. Usually resetting fixes. Investors had to rebuild the network from scratch more than once. The stranger issue I am having is that I’ll be connected to the internet and can access most things but it will not allow me to connect to some sites. Google is one of them that’s often repeatable but, not the only site. Sometimes I can do a search for google then click in the link that comes up and manage to connect to the site when typing the address in doesn’t work but, not always. It says cannot connect to server or internet but I can type in another address and goes straight to it. I’ve taken the router out and installed my old router and the problems disappear but, I lose speed and range compared to when the Orbi is working and not randomly dropping devices, internet connection or doing this weird thing of not letting me connect to specific sites.

anyone else seen this?

any ideas?

thanks in advance.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 6
cdanthony
Aspirant

Re: Can’t access some sites with Orbi

Should say “i’ve Had to” instead of “investors”.

sorry, autocorrect...

Message 2 of 6
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Sounds like a odd DNS issue have you tried to change the DNS in the orbis internet settings to something like googles free DNS to test.

https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/

DarrenM

Message 3 of 6
cdanthony
Aspirant

I spent time on the phone with Orbi support the first time I started realizing the new router was the problem. Support had me login via web browser and rebuild the network and that worked temporarily. Now it’s constant resets and occasionally rebuilding of the network via the Orbi app. I should clarify that this is not limited to solely google.com. I should also clarify I have just enough knowledge of this area to get myself in trouble. I do not even know what DNS is. I have no advanced or custom settings on my network. Not even using a guest network. If returning this was an option, I would at this point but, too late for that and I’d feel guilty selling this expensive router for someone else to have problems. I do appreciate your trying to help though man.
Message 4 of 6
cdanthony
Aspirant

Ok..DNS, domain name system...followed your link, did some reading, sounds feasible however, the Orbi app doesn’t appear to allow me to alter the DNS settings. Is this something I’d need to do through a web browser login? I’m willing to try but, since it is an intermittent problem, I’d need to change it and leave it for a few days and see what happens I guess.

Thanks for your input. It’s appreciated.

Message 5 of 6
cdanthony
Aspirant

Ok,

had to do through orbilogin.com. I’ve changed to the google DNS and I’ll give it a shot.

thanks again!

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7