× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't change Orbi RBR50 channel to one recommended by the Orbi app

KurtOrbiUser
Tutor

Can't change Orbi RBR50 channel to one recommended by the Orbi app

When I run the Wifi Analytics on my Adnroid Orbi app, it recommeds channels like 2 and 4, which show "Best Clarity"; however, my Orbi settings will not let me use any other channel than 36, 40, 44, and 48.

Why can't I change the wifi setting channel to what the app recommends?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

@KurtOrbiUser wrote:

When I run the Wifi Analytics on my Adnroid Orbi app, it recommeds channels like 2 and 4, which show "Best Clarity"; however, my Orbi settings will not let me use any other channel than 36, 40, 44, and 48.

Why can't I change the wifi setting channel to what the app recommends?

WiFi has two different frequency bands, 2.4G and 5G.

channels 2 and 4 are in the 2.4G band

channels 36-48 are in the 5G band.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels 

You can set the 2.4G channel to 2 or 4 if you want.

Message 2 of 13
KurtOrbiUser
Tutor

Thanks for the reply, but the issue is I cannot change my Orbi wireless settings (using the browser login) to any of the channels recommended by the Orbi app.  None of the 36, 40, 44, or 48 channels are on the recommended list on the app.  Why would the app recommend channels I cannot change the Orbi to?

Message 3 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

p.s. There is some controversy over the wisdom of "fixing" the 2.4G WiFi channel.  Most WiFi routers (i.e. all your neighbors) are designed to scan the 2.4G spectrum periodically and select what the router thinks is the least congested channel. (The "auto" setting.)  If you decide "2 is what I want. I will STAY THERE FOREVER" and many of your neighbor routers also switch to channel 2, then it may no longer be so great.  There are plenty of opinions on the subject.

In corporate environments, where the IT department administers all of the WiFi access points, the common practice is to use only channels 1, 6, and 11 (in North America) and create a "grid" of access points that have the least interference with each other.  This has turned into sort of a "mantra" ("Use ONLY 1, 6, or 11")  Which would  be great if you owned all the WiFi routers on the block. Set one house to 1, the next house to 6, the next house to 11, the next house to 1, then 6, 11, 1, 6, 11 etc.  But, you do not control every WiFi router on the block.

Message 4 of 13
KurtOrbiUser
Tutor

Thanks for the reply, but why would the Orbi app recommend channels I cannot change the Orbi to in the browser wireless settings?

Message 5 of 13
vajim
Master

@KurtOrbiUser wrote:

Thanks for the reply, but why would the Orbi app recommend channels I cannot change the Orbi to in the browser wireless settings?

Don't use the app too many problems

leave the WiFi channel selection to auto

if you do change the channel I guarantee that within a few days that channel will be crowded 

Your neighbors may be doing the same.  

Message 6 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

@KurtOrbiUser wrote:

WiFi 2.4G channel selection is a "drop down" menu with the default being "auto" (see image attached).

Click the "down arrow" to open the menu of channels from 1 to 11 (North America). 1-13 (reset of world) 1-14 (Japan)

Message 7 of 13
vajim
Master

@KurtOrbiUser wrote:

a better question..."why are you using the app...?"

Message 8 of 13
schumaku
Guru

Hi Kurt,

@KurtOrbiUser wrote:

I cannot change my Orbi wireless settings (using the browser login) to any of the channels recommended by the Orbi app.  None of the 36, 40, 44, or 48 channels are on the recommended list on the app.  Why would the app recommend channels I cannot change the Orbi to?

This is an absolute valid question.

The built-in WiFi analytics does not take the real 2021 WiFi as well as Orbi design-specifics into consideration - there some "generic" features (as in NETGEAR WiFi Analytics) included with the Orbi App.

Today's WiFi does make use of up to 80 MHz, 80+80 MHz (80 MHz blocks not in sequence!), and 160 MHz - and the "primary" 20 MHz channel can be on any position - it does not help much just to focus on the primary channel. Note: That's the one you "see" on the analyzer app.

When it comes to the Orbi (and other tri-band) Mesh systems, there are dedicated radios in place for the wireless backhaul and the client facing wireless frontend. Depending on the regulatory area, different bands or channel sets are offering the highest output - this is the one used for the wireless backhaul. This does reserve half (on 80 MHz for typical 802.11ac units) or almost the complete higher or lower 5 GHz band (160 MHz WiFi 6 systems). So either case, and in the preference to avoid two radios on adjacent channel sets, there can't be many channels offered for a selection for the wireless fronthaul. When I have it right, Orbi tri-band does have a low-band and a high-band 5 GHz radio. Regulations dictate the one to be used for the backhaul due to the higher allowed power.

Indeed, it would be nice if the analytics would be enhanced, showing the effective possible bandwidth and used channels from the environment as well as from the local device, including the backhaul.

Hope this explains!

Regards

-Kurt 

Message 9 of 13
alokeprasad
Mentor

The Orbi app has analytics?!? Where on the iOS app?

Must be the Android app.

Not that want to use it .. after Schumaku's explanation.

Message 10 of 13
schumaku
Guru

@alokeprasad wrote:

The Orbi app has analytics?!? Where on the iOS app? Must be the Android app.

Yes, indeed. Not sure there are any iOS/iPadOS WiFi analytic Apps ... while there are many (and some better ones) on Android indeed.

Message 11 of 13
brijuater
Initiate

FWIW, the app told me channel 48 was "poor" because there were 8 other networks on the channel.  I then changed my 5G channel to 36 using the browser interface.  When I ran the analytics in the app again, it told me channel 36 was "average" - 4 other networks, but it also reported that channel 48 was now "best" with only 1 other network.

Conclusion: whatever the heck it is that the app is reporting about channel interference, it changes dramatically over very little time and might as well be ignored.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 12 of 13
vajim
Master

@brijuater wrote:

Conclusion: whatever the heck it is that the app is reporting about channel interference, it changes dramatically over very little time and might as well be ignored.

couldn't have said it better myself

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series