Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can’t connect to nest protect

Can’t connect to nest protect

Hello everyone, 

So my all my nest protects connected just fine to my Apple routers but now  ( yes want to switch to Orbi ) only my  Nest outdoor cam and thermostat connect to the Orbi. I have erased all settings on the Nest Protects and the app recognizes the Orbi wifi.  The process works all the way past putting the password in for the Orbi network but then it gives me an error message and can't connect. Any suggestions would be very welcome. 

I shut down my apple wifi network when trying to do this. I also went into my AT&T modem and disabled radios.  

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Can’t connect to nest protect

@Cantyoubeapple wrote:
Thanks so much! I learned a few things about routers. These Orbis are definitely not plug and plays.-----Depends on your ISP. Certain ISP's (like att) do make it more challenging.  The Access Point change in the Orbi and disabling of the WiFi in the modem is critical. Question though - if I want to change my WiFi password on the Orbi - do I need to change it on the modem? The WiFi is shut down on the AT&T modem. And if I do change it - will I need to change it on all my connected devices? ------If you change your wireless password, you'll need to change it on all devices.
I just don’t do it that often .
All connected devices are working now.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 11

All Replies
plemans
Guru

A couple questions. 

If you're using the ATT modem/router, is it in passthrough or is your orbi being placed in AP mode? 

Easy route? Setup the att modem/router with its 2.4ghz ssid and password the same as what you plan on the orbi using. Set it up using the att router. Then simply shut down the att wifi and turn the orbi on. The devices usually connect up fine that route. 

Or you can try disabling the 5ghz ssid broadcast from the Orbi. Make sure your phone is on the 2.4ghz during setup.

Reason I keep saying this is that most IoT devices have issues if your phone doing the setup is on 5ghz and they only connect to 2.4ghz. the devices need to be on the same radio during setup. 

Message 2 of 11

Yikes - you’re talking Greek to me. I have not placed my ORBI in AP mode - ( what is that ) ?
My apple was producing both channels and didn’t have to mess around with all this . Modem- pass through? No idea ? I disabled the WiFi on it. Frustrated
Message 3 of 11

I have an iPhone . Can’t put it on a certain ghz.
Message 4 of 11

Here’s the thing - I used my phone to set up the best Cam just fine. Then it failed trying to connect the best protects . Used my iPad Pro also - same issue .
Message 5 of 11
plemans
Guru

If you have 2 routers on your networks, you'll have a double nat. 

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

it can cause setup issues, ip issues, etc. 

Don't take this the wrong way but it sounds like you're not a networking expert. And ATT isn't known for making devices that's passthrough mode works well. In you're case, I'd place the orbi in AP (access point) mode. 

https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point

But first. use the att router's wifi to setup your devices. Set the wifi ssid (name) and password as the same that you'll be using for the orbi. Get your devices setup using that. Then shut off the ATT devices wifi and proceed to setup your orbi with the ssid that you used for the att device. the nest devices should autoconnect to it if you used the same ssid and password for the att and the orbi. 

You're statement about some setup fine might be because those devices could be dual band. those devices wouldn't have issues but the single band only devices will because your phone has to be on the same 2.4ghz or 5ghz network that the device uses. 

Message 6 of 11

Thanks so much. I will try that. And you are correct. I am no networking expert. Just odd that I have to do this with an Orbi that has such great reviews. 

Message 7 of 11

One last question - I can't access my Orbi as the security questions are not working. I put in the right answers but still it fails. Using an iPad Pro ( newest model to access ). Should I call Netgear- still under support warranty. 

BTW - very clear directions from you! Thanks ! 

Message 8 of 11
plemans
Guru

IoT devices have issues with being setup when the device that is setting them up can't be on the same wireless band they're on. That's the main issue with mesh networks from netgear, google, etc. 

Sometimes they take a little playing to get working but once they do, they just work. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Connecting-Smart-Devices-that-are-2-4/td-p/1842268

In terms of your security questions. There's a bug with netgear. If you didn't setup the security questions, it still asks them  but there isn't a correct answer if it wasn't setup so it fails.

Keep in mind that your pasword is case sensitve and also sensitive to spaces. make sure you don't have a space at the end. Also, password managers/autofill are great at overwriting what you've typed in. 

Try a different device or browser to see if it works. 

Message 9 of 11

Thanks so much! I learned a few things about routers. These Orbis are definitely not plug and plays. The Access Point change in the Orbi and disabling of the WiFi in the modem is critical. Question though - if I want to change my WiFi password on the Orbi - do I need to change it on the modem? The WiFi is shut down on the AT&T modem. And if I do change it - will I need to change it on all my connected devices? I just don’t do it that often .
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 10 of 11
plemans
Guru

@Cantyoubeapple wrote:
Thanks so much! I learned a few things about routers. These Orbis are definitely not plug and plays.-----Depends on your ISP. Certain ISP's (like att) do make it more challenging.  The Access Point change in the Orbi and disabling of the WiFi in the modem is critical. Question though - if I want to change my WiFi password on the Orbi - do I need to change it on the modem? The WiFi is shut down on the AT&T modem. And if I do change it - will I need to change it on all my connected devices? ------If you change your wireless password, you'll need to change it on all devices.
I just don’t do it that often .

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7