Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't connect to routerlogin.net or .com anymore

BRorbi
Guide

Can't connect to routerlogin.net or .com anymore

Almost 2 weeks ago, I changed my ISP from Spectrum Cable to AT&T fiber with a gigabit service. Behind the required AT&T gateway I wired my orbi mesh system and the wireless function on the gateway were disabled.

Initially everything was running wirelessly from the orbi and its satellites. Speeds were obviously no where near gigabit, so I had a technician to install a cat 6e wired in the attic for my desktop computer.

Before I went with the wired connection, I could easily either type in routerlogin.net or I could enter the local ip address like 192.168.1.1. However, now I can't do that. I called the AT&T technician and they had me go into the gateway configuration and select "passthrough" for the allocation mode. Connection to the orbi is sketchy even from the iphone or the ipad. Neither the laptop (wireless only) or the desktop (wired) can connect to routerlogin.net. Everything is having its access to the internet. 

What in the heck is going on, and how can I fix this issue?

Thanks...

Model: CBR40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 9
plemans
Guru

Do you have the CBR40 or the RBR40 for the router? 
Att's devices are sketchy on their passthrough mode. And having their gateway causes a double nat. 

A double nat happens when you cascade more than 1 router.
https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Fixes? There’s 3 options but only use 1.
1. Put the modem/gateway in modem only/pass through mode. This disables its routing functions. Again, att's devices seem to work poorly in passthrough mode in my experience 
2. Leave the modem/gateway in router mode but put the Netgears IP address into its DMZ. This forwards the data to the netgear. You can either leave the modem/gateway’s wireless enabled or disabled. Just make sure its using a different wifi channel to prevent interference
3. Put the Netgear into access point mode. This disables its routing functions. Wifi/ethernet still works but it does disable some features.
https://kb.netgear.com/26765/Which-features-are-disabled-on-my-NETGEAR-router-when-it-is-set-to-AP-M...

Message 2 of 9
BRorbi
Guide

It is an RBR40, even though I don't know what CBR40 is. 

I need to leave the RBR in router mode, not access mode. With the satellites, I can reach the whole house. With the gateway acting as a router, I would need to buy wifi extenders to reach the house. 

I am heading out of town, so I will be back tomorrow to study your reply further. I will start by following the link for a Double-NAT. The darn printer I use is out of sync again with my desktop and that alone is a nuisance. I have no idea why the IP addresses keep changing between 10s and 192s. 

I will post back here once I have some intelligent followup questions to ask.

Thank you for helping.

Bruce

Message 3 of 9
plemans
Guru

your ip address is changing because you have 2 devices in router mode on your network assigning ip addresses. 

Thats the double nat. 

Message 4 of 9
BRorbi
Guide

Yes I figured that out about the double NAT part. One question before I go on the road. By disabling the wifi of the gateway, is that different from creating a bridge mode of the gateway? The wifi of the gateway was already disabled, and it appears to ALSO be in n bridge mode on the home network tab. I will be back tomorrow to study this further, but I wanted to make sure I know the answer to my question above. Thanks again.
Message 5 of 9
ale1976
Aspirant

Message 6 of 9
plemans
Guru

Disabling the wifi doesn't put it in bridge mode or disable its routing functions. It simply disables wifi. 

Message 7 of 9
BRorbi
Guide

Hi Plemans:

Now, I am back and can spend some time on this issue and I want to tell you what actually happened before and after I plugged my pc into a wired connection to the ATT Gateway. The ATT technician and I had already turned off the wireless portion of the gateway itself and the ip passthrough is, and has been, setup all along (see attachment).

The orbi satellites and the orbi router and the gateway work beautifully together as long as I do not plug a cable from the satellite to the ethernet wall jack. I need that connection from the computer to the satellite so that keeps me on the home network. But my internet connection to my pc is wireless only unless I  plug an ethernet cable from the satellite to the ethernet jack in the wall. 

So, is that connection what is causing the double nat, or is windows 10 causing the issue? Windows in orbi mode (desktop to orbi satellite and no wire from satellite to wall jack) calls it an ethernet connection. I do not have gigiabit speed unless I do the wired connection. 

While I wait for a response, I will see if I can login to the satellite rather than the orbi router to see what if any configurations might be done there.

Thanks again...

Message 8 of 9
BRorbi
Guide

Ok, I figured it out on my own. I just moved my router to the wired Ethernet Jack rather than plugging it to the gateway.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7