Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't sync my rbr50 satellite to rbr50 router

TFlav
Apprentice

Can't sync my rbr50 satellite to rbr50 router

I can't get my orbi rbr50 satellite to sync with my rbr50 router. I got a new gateway from my ISP recently and was setting it up with my orbi router. My satellite had aready synced up with my old setup but now for some reason it won't sync back up anymore. I've tied doing the steps that netgear provides for sync and keep getting "setup failed". 

Message 1 of 32

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Can't sync my rbr50 satellite to rbr50 router

You need to update the RBS before updating the RBR. Keep this in mind for future updates. 

What you need to do is factory reset the RBS. Wire connect a PC to the 1st satellite. Already have the most current FW version files downloaded on to this PC. 

Wire connect 1 PC to the back of the RBS. Factory reset the RBS, wait about 5 minutes. The PC will get a IP address from the satellite. The RBS will be 192.168.1.250. Use this IP address in a web browser to log in to the satellites web page. Log in as admin and password. Use the satellites web page FW update feature to select the FW update file that was unpacked from the .zip file. Then factory reset and then re-sync the satellites to the RBR. 

@TFlav wrote:

If "FW' means firmware, then I'm not sure how to check that. I did update the routers Firmware but when I tried to find a way to update the satellite i couldn't gain access to it to update it. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 32

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Make sure RBR and RBS have same FW loaded? 

Message 2 of 32
TFlav
Apprentice

If "FW' means firmware, then I'm not sure how to check that. I did update the routers Firmware but when I tried to find a way to update the satellite i couldn't gain access to it to update it. 

Message 3 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

You need to update the RBS before updating the RBR. Keep this in mind for future updates. 

What you need to do is factory reset the RBS. Wire connect a PC to the 1st satellite. Already have the most current FW version files downloaded on to this PC. 

Wire connect 1 PC to the back of the RBS. Factory reset the RBS, wait about 5 minutes. The PC will get a IP address from the satellite. The RBS will be 192.168.1.250. Use this IP address in a web browser to log in to the satellites web page. Log in as admin and password. Use the satellites web page FW update feature to select the FW update file that was unpacked from the .zip file. Then factory reset and then re-sync the satellites to the RBR. 

@TFlav wrote:

Message 4 of 32
TFlav
Apprentice

I'm not exactly sure how to do all that. So I need to connect the satellite to my PC with an eathernet? How do I download the FW to the PC? Then I also need to wire connect the RBS to the PC and then factory reset the RBS? My PC only has one eathernet port on it, so I can only have one device connected to it. 

Message 5 of 32
TFlav
Apprentice

Can you give me the steps in bullet points and with description?
Message 6 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

Already have the most current FW version files downloaded on to this PC. 

Ethernet wire connect a PC to the 1st satellite. Wire connect 1 PC to the back of the RBS.

Factory reset the RBS, wait about 5 minutes.

The PC will get a IP address from the satellite. The RBS will be 192.168.1.250. Use this IP address in a web browser to log in to the satellites web page. Log in as admin and password.

Use the satellites web page FW update feature to select the FW update file that was unpacked from the .zip file.

Then factory reset and then re-sync the satellites to the RBR.

Message 7 of 32
TFlav
Apprentice

Ok so the only thing I’m hung up on now is that my PC only has one port for wire connection. Do I need to have the satellite and the RBS connected to the PC at the same time? Not sure how I can do that when my PC has only one Ethernet port.
Message 8 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, just connect the PC to the back of the RBS. Once you get the RBS updated, and reset, then you'll disconnect the PC and re-connected back to the RBR or where ever you had it connected. 

Message 9 of 32
vajim
Master

Message 10 of 32
TFlav
Apprentice

Ok so I downloaded the latest FW to my PC. I connected my Satellite to the PC. I login to my orbilogin, went to advance settings, then to administration and then to FW update. I then clicked on the manual update tab. This is where i run into a problem. My satellite doesn't appear and can not click on it to manually update the satellite. When i check connected devices it says that the satellite is connected.

Message 11 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

@TFlav wrote:

Ok so I downloaded the latest FW to my PC. I connected my Satellite to the PC. I login to my orbilogin, went to advance settings, then to administration and then to FW update. I then clicked on the manual update tab. This is where i run into a problem. My satellite doesn't appear and can not click on it to manually update the satellite. When i check connected devices it says that the satellite is connected.

Message 12 of 32
TFlav
Apprentice

Is the RBS the satellite or router? I did what you said and didn't get a IP address. 

Message 13 of 32
vajim
Master

@TFlav wrote:

Is the RBS the satellite or router? I did what you said and didn't get a IP address. 

RBS  = sat

Message 14 of 32
TFlav
Apprentice

Ok great was able to update the Satellite. Once thats done Furry said to Factory reset and sync with the RBR. Do I need to factory reset the Satillte again or am I resting the Router? 

Message 15 of 32
vajim
Master

@TFlav wrote:

Ok great was able to update the Satellite. Once thats done Furry said to Factory reset and sync with the RBR. Do I need to factory reset the Satillte again or am I resting the Router? 

perhaps this will help

https://kb.netgear.com/31486/How-do-I-reset-my-Orbi-system-to-factory-default-settings

Message 16 of 32
TFlav
Apprentice

No I Know how to factory reset the device. What I am asking is after I conneceted the Sat then factroy reset and then go to the new IP address and update the FW there. which I have done. I have updated the FW on the Sat. @FURRYe38 said "Then factory reset and then re-sync the satellites to the RBR." So what I'm asking is, am I now resetting the Sat again or Am I resetting the Router this time. 

Message 17 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

Just press the reset button ON the RBS for 15 seconds then release. Then sync the RBS to the RBR. 

@TFlav wrote:

No I Know how to factory reset the device. What I am asking is after I conneceted the Sat then factroy reset and then go to the new IP address and update the FW there. which I have done. I have updated the FW on the Sat. @FURRYe38 said "Then factory reset and then re-sync the satellites to the RBR." So what I'm asking is, am I now resetting the Sat again or Am I resetting the Router this time. 

Message 18 of 32
TFlav
Apprentice

Ok I reset the Satellite again. Then tried to sync the Satellite with the Router twice and both times I got "satellite setup failed". 

Message 19 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

Is this with the RBS near the RBR? Say 10 feet or so? 

Message 20 of 32
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Is this with the RBS near the RBR? Say 10 feet or so? 

and maybe think of how you set up your orbi when you first brought it home.....same procedure

Message 21 of 32
TFlav
Apprentice

i literally have them right next to each other. Should I move it to a different room? This is my dads setup, so Im not sure how he set it up before. 

Message 22 of 32
TFlav
Apprentice

I was following the directions given from netgear on how to sync my orbi satellite

Message 23 of 32
vajim
Master

@TFlav wrote:

i literally have them right next to each other. Should I move it to a different room? This is my dads setup, so Im not sure how he set it up before. 

move them not more than 30 feet

https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

Message 24 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

10feet is close enough. 

Only other thing you might do is a reset on the RBR and setup from scratch. You can add the RBS during the setup wizard process with the wired PC and web browser pointed at 192.168.1.1 or orbilogin.com. 

Message 25 of 32
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 31 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7