Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can you Remote Desktop to Windows Server via Orbi RBR50 router?

Shacksie70
Aspirant

Can you Remote Desktop to Windows Server via Orbi RBR50 router?

Dear Community, I would be extremely grateful if a member could please answer this question and if it is possible please advise how to achieve. I have been struggling for two weeks and exhausted every avenue.

I have a windows Server 2012 R2 that Id like to place on my home network and access away from home. I use an Orbi RBR50 with one additional satellite. The server is configured correctly for Remote Desktop as it was working when in a business location previously. I can also connect to the server using RDC locally through my LAN. I have enabled remote access in the advanced Orbi settings and configured port forwarding on port 3389 to the server on a static LAN address. I can see ports 80 and 3389 are open through a web checker and can ping the the WAN IP address revieving 4 packers back. However, when trying to RDC away from home RDC is unable to connect to the server login screen? Any ideas please? Shacksie70
Message 1 of 8
RobbieCrash
Guide

Check your Windows firewall settings on the server. If you're sure that the external port forwarding is setup correctly, and you're able to get through your external firewall, the only thing that would be blocking it is your internal one.

It's probably configured to only allow your local subnet. You'll need to adjust this as needed, depending on what you want to be able to connect with. Be advised though, that opening 3389 on the internet will net you 1,000s of daily attempts for remote connections. Make sure you have a VERY strong password on your Windows account, and that default accounts are either disabled or renamed.

Message 2 of 8
Shacksie70
Aspirant

Thank you for your suggestion Robbie, I neglected to state the server firewall is disabled.

Could it be configuration on the service providers side? I have asked them and they say there are no restrictions.

I’d also be interesting to see if anyone else has manage to successfully RDC through the Orbi RBR50?
Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 3 of 8
jdevstart
Aspirant

I'm a bit late into the game but I too am running into the same issue.  I thought it was a port issue so I changed the default port number from 3389 to a different option.

I did this via the registry, I've disabled the firewall, I've routed the proper port to my Windows Server 2016 internal IP and can't get RDP to work from an external connection.

Internally, everything works flawlessly.

Message 4 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Is there any NAT routers before the Orbi router? Like with modem and router combos? Just making sure. If there is, this will inhibit RDP to thru the Orbi router. 

Message 5 of 8
Shacksie70
Aspirant

Thanks FURRYe38

No I have just a Vigor 120 modem, it’s not a router.
Message 6 of 8
Mikey94025
Hero

Windows RDP via port 3389 should work just fine with Orbi (or any router).  I use it myself.  Try:

1. Check that http://www.canyouseeme.org/ it tells me that port 3389 is working - For me it says something like: Success: I can see your service on 50.131.22.109 on port (3389). Your ISP is not blocking port 3389.
  2. Is your Orbi connected to another router, like a cable modem, so you have dual NAT?  Best to put your cable modem in Bridge mode and let the Orbi assign IP addresses.  But it can still work without Bridge mode if you setup port forwarding from the modem to the Orbi, and then again from the Orbi to your Windows server.
  3. Disable any Windows firewall, Norton, etc.
  4. Change the Windows network from Public to Private

Message 7 of 8
Shacksie70
Aspirant

Thanks Mikey, yes port 3389 is open.

I do have a modem only (not modem + router), a vigor 120. I will double check the settings on this, although not sure there is an interface to login to, I can’t recall ever logging into it.

I don’t believe it’s the router / modem problem because I see the port forward attempt on the remote access logs on the server, if it wasn’t getting beyond the router I wouldn’t expect to see the entries in the server logs?

Server firewall is disabled and server network is Private.

Shacksie70
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7