Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cannot connect OpenVPN client to Orbi VPN

Keith_1952
Tutor

Cannot connect OpenVPN client to Orbi VPN

I have an RBR20 with 3 sats and am attempting to manifest a VPN to use when I'm travelling.  I've followed the instructions and community posts meticulously, but all I get from OpenVPN are connecting / reconnecting messages.  I'm using DDNS, which is correctly resolving my domain name to my external IP.  My VPN settings are the standard TUN over UDP on port 12973, and TAP over UDP on 12974.

My firmware version is the latest:  2.3.5.26.  OpenVPN is 2.4.7 for Windows 10 (openvpn-install-2.4.7-I607-Win10.exe).  I renamed the adapter to NETGEAR-VPN per the instructions.  I've been back over everything several times, and just don't see why it won't connect. I tried taking down Windows Firewall, but it made no difference.  Help!

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
Keith_1952
Tutor

Re: Cannot connect OpenVPN client to Orbi VPN

Success!  Using the phone hotspot was the ticket.  Maybe Starbucks was blocking those UDP ports, who knows?  

Tomorrow I'll do some additional testing from a friend's home network, but I'm sure I'm out of the woods.

Good tip, thanks!

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 11

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Just to be clear, the Orbi is the only "router"? i.e. the Orbi has a "public" IP address on the Internet side?

Message 2 of 11
Keith_1952
Tutor

Correct, I have only one router.  

Message 3 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

This is the same version I have.  (I made the mistake of not following the directions and got the "latest and greatest" OpenVPN and that failed miserably.)

How are you testing VPN?  I disconnected my phone from WiFi and set up a HotSpot using the LTE Data Connection, and had my laptop connect to the HotSpot.

Message 4 of 11
Keith_1952
Tutor

Do I understand you that I should NOT be using version 2.4.7 of OpenVPN?  Shall I download an earlier version from somewhere?

I've been running out to the local Starbucks for testing.  The hotspot idea is much better, lol.    Cheaper and less caffenating too. I'll get that going.

Message 5 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

Mine is exactly the same as yours: openvpn-install-2.4.7-i607-Win10.exe

I never come close to using all of my data allowance, so testing with the HotSpot is "free".

Would be fascinating if the results with HotSpot are different than the results at Starbucks (HA)

Message 6 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

I was able to access my VPN with both Windows and with Android (Sony Xperia).

I can't remember if I had to "Run as Administrator" when I started the VPN on Windows.

Message 7 of 11
Keith_1952
Tutor

I got my hot spot enabled for my phone.  Going to test now.  Will post results.  Thanks for the commiseration, friend.

Message 8 of 11
Keith_1952
Tutor

Success!  Using the phone hotspot was the ticket.  Maybe Starbucks was blocking those UDP ports, who knows?  

Tomorrow I'll do some additional testing from a friend's home network, but I'm sure I'm out of the woods.

Good tip, thanks!

Message 9 of 11
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Keith_1952

Any update?

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 10 of 11
Keith_1952
Tutor

Yes, I had some issues that were particular to the fact that I was connecting over VPN to an Active Directory Domain, and my own DNS server.  I had to adjust the configuration of the NETGEAR-VPN adapter to specify the domain suffix, and the DNS server name.  This corrected a problem wherein the machine containing the OpenVPN client could not connect to network resources, stating that no Domain Server could be found to authenticate the connected credential.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7