Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cannot connect to this network

StanDenman
Aspirant

Cannot connect to this network

My desktop will not connect reliably to my orbi mesh.  When I do get a connection it will drop many times a day - often maddeningly in the midst of important work.  But my laptop, sitting on the very same desk, never has connection issues.

My desktop is about 9 years old so I decided a new PC might be in order.  I got one.  Same issue!!

Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Cannot connect to this network

What Orbi model system do you have? 

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite ‌‌🛰

How is the system set up? Basic and Advanced Wireless settings? 

What devices do you have connected? Brand and model? 

Do ethernet connected device work? 

Message 2 of 10
StanDenman
Aspirant

Orbi rbr10

I dont think the square footage of the house if relevant.  I have already told that the laptop sitting 12 inches away from the desktop has no connection issues.

Message 3 of 10
StanDenman
Aspirant

This is a generic unresponsive answer.  Read the post please.

Message 4 of 10
StanDenman
Aspirant

Ridiculous that I cannot get a direct answer to a simple question here!!!

Message 5 of 10
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello StanDenman,

Welcome to the NETGEAR Community!

I understand that you are having interim network connectivity issues with your RBR10. 

We just have on question for you:

What firmware is your RBR10 currently on?

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

Message 6 of 10

@StanDenman wrote:

Ridiculous that I cannot get a direct answer to a simple question here!!!

I agree that questions about square feet are a bit off topic  – they annoy me too, like equally useless advice on the best cables to use – but there were several other questions that you failed to address that may well be behind the problems you see.

Unfortunately, we don't know what you have at your end. just two anonymous computers connected in some way to your router.

Only when you provide some details can any9one begin to guess what might be going on. Let's start with the boilerplate questions that are behind many of the issue that crop up here.

What firmware version do you have on the device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

It might also help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router, if there is one. The make and model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

The reason for asking is that a lot of people turn up here trying to put a router behind a modem that is also a router. That can complicate troubleshooting.

I can think of other possible issues, but I wouldn't want to tax your patience any further.

Apologies for all the questions. But you can help people to help you by providing the information suggested in this forum's header:

Subject (Include model number and brief summary)
Model (Recommended - Helps the community give the best answers)
Body (Include additional detail including model version, firmware, OS and environment where relevant.)

They are there for a good reason.

If you aren't prepared to deal with reasonable questions, most of which are known to be relevant from past experience, you are on your own.

Message 7 of 10
StanDenman
Aspirant

I wish I never bought this orbi.  Will know better next time.  Last night I spent hours trying to simply connect the orbi to my TV sitting in the same room with the main router.  I finally gave up and simply bypassed the orbi.  This morning I reset the orbi.

It now established on my cell phone but this is the only device the orbi app shows.

Now on my PC and laptop, both of which are not connected.

I see on both machines ORBI137 offered as a network, but that I think is the prior one before I set?  On either machine no opportunity to search for a new wifi network, and no opportunity to try and sign in to ORBI137 but that will not work either.

There is a "Hidden Network" that pops up - could that be the next wifi?  But then is asking for "name (ssid) for the network" but I enter name of new orbi then password I immediately get Cant connect to this network.

The hardware version is RPR10

The Firmware version is v2.7.4.24

I am about ready to throw these orbis in the trash.

•  
Message 8 of 10
StanDenman
Aspirant

I am just going to call Geek Squad and will know better next time.

Message 9 of 10

@StanDenman wrote:

The hardware version is RPR10

The Firmware version is v2.7.4.24

RPR10 is not a Netgear modem number.

RBR10 is what you said earlier. That is part of the RBK13 bundle.

You have the latest firmware.

So far you have not taken the time to answer one crucial question asked first in the original answer from @FURRYe38 that you dismissed as irrelevant.

What is the modem/gateway/ONT that connects you to the Internet?

This bit makes me suspicious:

I finally gave up and simply bypassed the orbi. 

To me that raises a red flag. If you had a basic modem, it would be difficult to "simply bypass" it. On their own many modems don't have the features needed to let you do that.

If you have two routers that could explain the grief you describe.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7